Nomad Sportfishing

• Past Sponsor
  • Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Drive Out Trip Guides Report 23 June 2010
June 24, 2010, 02:28:46 PM
Tim - As with the preceding days the wind was a hindrance but we managed to work around it and fished in the lee of the reefs.
We GT fished exclusively today and saw a few in the morning but it was slow overall with only one fish landed but saw 7, got bust off by 2 and pulled the hooks on 2. Back for a quick lunch and then out for the afternoon session where we had a great time, landing 5 from 12 and bust off 3 fish. The biggest was a whopping 50kg monster caught by Mike from the USA on a Goby Long Stick bait and he had the most fish interested in his lure all day. It was the hardest pulling fish for its size according to Mike and he has fished all over the world with a multitude of species under his belt - well done Mike!! Bronwyn and her husband Stuart also got a few Gts and were happy with their day's work. Overall a good day bar the weather.

Chris:- well the wind hadn't backed off at all. Although we had a good fishing session pretty much the whole day which kept our minds off the wind. I wanted to keep the fellas out of the wind today so that they could have a relaxed morning and afternoon. We tried some jigging with small jigs and soft plastics catching red throats, coral trout, bludger and gold spot travalley. For the afternoon it was a session in the shallows targeting, bludgers, gold spot, trout, tusk fish, mackerel and long toms to name a few. And we got just that which made the afternoon relaxed and comfortable. Tomorrow is the final day and I know I say this most of the time but I really, realy hope tomorrow brings some good weather to finish this trip off. Time will tell...

Nick:- This morning started off pretty much the same as the previous days. We decided to start with the light gear this morning and managed to get stuck into some bludgers. The guys were ready for a break so we chucked out some minnows and I think we found a place where all the shark mackerel come from cos we caught sharkie after sharkie, good fun. After lunch we decided to head in search for some GTs so headed down south, we managed to see only one fish which wasn't too committed. The guys had had enough casting and back on the troll for a nice spaniard and we found him a nice 12kg model that came home for tea.

Alex- Today we were after GTs mainly and I was feeling very good as we had some awesome country to fish but we must have annoyed the fish gods as unreal spots produced nothing or just a half hearted strike. We managed to boat a little GT of about 18kg after a few hours casting. After this I thought we had cracked the matrix but the fish kept playing hide and seek. The most upsetting moment for the morning was when Dan, who had been casting relentlessly all morning finally hooked up to a good fish in the 30-35kg range only to have it pull the hooks after dragging it out of the danger zone and into clear water. The afternoon started off better only 15min in we had a few big follows and
2 monsters slowly follow the lures and cruise under the boat. We managed to boat another one of 25kg and pull the hooks on 2 more. One funnier moment was when Jason got busted off by a nice spangled emperor that took him into the only bommie for about 100m on the light tackle, a sign that the luck was definitely not on our side today. Frustrating day with the fish not playing the game and when they showed themselves the hooks pulled. End tally was 2 GTs and various other bycatch.
Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 02:30:46 PM by Nomad Sportfishing

Doug Lindsay

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Hi Nomad Team,
The Stuart and Bronwyn that Tim mentions in his report, are they the same couple from ACT I fished with on the 51 Riveria last year? It would have to be! Please send my regards :) I hope they are having a great time, a very colourfull pair!
It was good to see you guys this morning, thank you for the excellent coffee!
Cheers
Doug

Nomad Sportfishing

• Past Sponsor
  • Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hi Doug it was lovely to catch up. Stuart and Bronwyn are indeed the couple from your trip last year!