Clayton Anderson

What are your requirements Clayton...perhaps that may assist you in choosing a reel?

Basically for GT popper fishing, fishing 50 and 80lb and when not flash with the cash (all too often!) shorebased trips around Exmouth.
I like durable, no frills gear. A reels presentation to me (although a nice bonus) is not as important as it being strong, robust and reliable.
Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 09:06:25 PM by Clayton Anderson

Marc Towers

Very fair comments Brandon - i don't think too much more can be said other than an individual should go for a reel he feels comfortable using, and accept that every reel has its pro's and con's...

As i mentioned in a previous post, I was unfortunate enough to have a problem with my Stella 10K which completely seized after it had been used for 8 days, admittedly pulling up lots of fish, the biggest running to 40 kilo's odd, so as you say - 'hard work' for this reel perhaps. I had to get the internal gears (pinion gear etc) replaced; as you say, perhaps i pushed the reel too hard, or perhaps it's just bad luck - there are similar stories i am sure for every brand/model..

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Mark, with the type of fishing you were doing, I really think a 20000PG would have been the go. That poor little 10000 copped three years of wear and tear compressed into eight days!!
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Doug Lindsay

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Hi Brandon,
I just wanted to clarify my posting re the troubles I have had with my Diawas.
Firstly, I am realistic in my expectation of the capabilities of both reels. Obviously you cant make mechanical pieces bullet proof. But, both reels have had a pretty easy life, particularly the Saltiga.
My real gripe here is with Diawas service in rectifying the failings of these products. Both reels spent nearly 2 months at Diawa ( apparently parts were in short supply?) and came back with repair bills amounting to nearly $300.
Re the new model Certate, I am happy to PM you with the source of my info, it would be inappropriate to air it here on the forum. All I can say to fellow members is to try before you buy.
I hope this clarifies where I am coming from.
Cheers