Alistair Barnes

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
stella general care??
June 29, 2010, 12:35:35 PM
Just wondering what the general view is on keeping a stella up to its best after a trip out.   At the moment i am just cleaning it with fresh water after my trips but I was wondering if i should be greasing it up as well and how often poeple tend to open them up for an internal scrub around.

Thanks for your time....

Al

Mario Benedict

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: stella general care??
June 29, 2010, 02:26:25 PM
I just washed them down with fresh water after each outing and open up the maintenance port and drop 1 or 2 drops of oil to keep it running smooth.
I put some grease on the handle screw threads and the spool knob threads.

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 29, 2010, 03:48:13 PM
I just washed them down with fresh water after each outing and open up the maintenance port and drop 1 or 2 drops of oil to keep it running smooth.
I put some grease on the handle screw threads and the spool knob threads.
Ditto

Dave Foyle

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 30, 2010, 12:58:14 AM
Hi Alistair,

I use a little warm soapy water to get rid of the salt then rinse with fresh.

I've found a couple of areas benefit from a little extra attention on the SW Stella's.  There's a little gap on the top of the spool where the shiny rim meets the spool body.  This is abreeding ground for salt crystals !!  Worth running a little thin oil around this gap from time to time.  The second area to pay attention to is the line roller - worth taking this apart every once in a while (its a very simple assembly), cleaning it thoroughly and re-oiling to help prevent salt corrosion.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Vic Levett

June 30, 2010, 07:35:14 AM
Yeh those line rollers need maximum  maintenance cause once they corrode their useless and not something that can be fixed at sea
It not cool using a $1000 reel that sounds like a Ebay special
Vic
Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 07:36:48 AM by Vic Levett

Alistair Barnes

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 30, 2010, 10:23:14 AM
thanks guys, hopefully keep me stella going for a long while with those tips......  thanks alot.

Al

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
June 30, 2010, 10:30:52 AM
I like to maintain a film of grease over water prone areas i.e. under spool, beneath spool knob and cavity, folding handle pin's and cavities etc...

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 30, 2010, 01:15:45 PM
Dave, excellent points, the spool rim area is very prone to corrosion, I have had that silver area chip off on a very small scale, not good news as braid contacts it on casting. I also put oil on the line roller after use.

Hi Alistair,

I use a little warm soapy water to get rid of the salt then rinse with fresh.

I've found a couple of areas benefit from a little extra attention on the SW Stella's.  There's a little gap on the top of the spool where the shiny rim meets the spool body.  This is abreeding ground for salt crystals !!  Worth running a little thin oil around this gap from time to time.  The second area to pay attention to is the line roller - worth taking this apart every once in a while (its a very simple assembly), cleaning it thoroughly and re-oiling to help prevent salt corrosion.

Hope this helps.

Dave
Set the ray to GeeT

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 30, 2010, 01:40:33 PM
Guys ,

With regards to bearing corrosion in the bail-arm , has anybody ventured in using Ceramic Hybrid or even Full Ceramic bearing ? I have ABEC7 Hybrid Ceramic bearing upgrades on my baitcaster reels and they have improved the casting distance by quite a margin .

Jon . 
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Tony Busscher

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 30, 2010, 09:29:16 PM
Guys theres only one way to look after your reels ...  Thats with a product called SALTAWAY   ...