warren yuile

Reels again
July 30, 2007, 01:06:49 PM
Tax time so i get to spend some of the money we got back Ive got the rod just need to get a reel the rod is rated to pe4 to pe8 will be running 50lb and will be jigging in water between 60 to 120m deep. Its an overhead was thinking a trinidad 40n or a saltiga 40 or is there other reels i should look at. Also most of the guys in this area use 4500 saltigas as there spin set up for jigging what would be the shimano equal Woz

Rob Ciotucha

Re: Reels again
July 30, 2007, 01:40:36 PM
Have a look at the Shimano Torsa's.  Have used these a few times jigging for samson fish and they work well, heaps of cranking power.

Cheers
Rob

warren yuile

July 30, 2007, 02:49:31 PM
Had a look at them nice reel but It didnt feel that comfortable with the handle position so low under the reel also a bit heavier than the others if I was going to use this reel for other things not just for jigging it would be my choise. Thanks Woz

aaron

July 30, 2007, 03:42:53 PM
wazza,avet jx 6/3 two speed or even the LX.you should get one before i get there so i can have a play as im thinking of getting the jx ;)

Chris Lian

July 30, 2007, 03:44:54 PM
Hi Warren,

Have you looked at the Avet's in the JX range or even the Blue Heavens? They are light and strong. Have used them for Samsoms at Fremantle and have not had any issues.

Chris

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
July 30, 2007, 05:26:17 PM
The Blue Heavens are very expensive what about the Accurates half the price and twice as good.
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

warren yuile

July 30, 2007, 06:45:25 PM
You know I like avets Azza but I want to see what else is out there just for jigging would luv a blue heaven but not that tax $ to spend which Accurate?
Woz

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 30, 2007, 06:57:38 PM
Accurate Boss Magnum 665 6:1 or 4:1 and new 2 speed 5:1 / 2:1 ;D
Don't get one with a cast control knob, no good on high drags. :-\
Greg 'FFF' Burt

DaveIrving

July 31, 2007, 10:08:33 AM
Have tried a lot of overhead jigging reels and by far the best one I have used is the Shimano Ocea Jigger 4000P.....not available in Oz but you can order it from overseas.  The reel is very smooth, perfect retrieve rate for jigging, narrow spool, 15Kg of drag, holds a lot of line and comes already fitted with a power handle that makes jigging so much easier.

As a back up the Accurate 665 (4:1) is also very good, although I would change the handle to make things easier!  ;)

Cheers

Dave

jerry dollar

July 31, 2007, 10:54:26 AM
if you don't need the line capacity, the avet jx series, preferably the 2 speed. plenty of drag capacity for 50 lb line and with 2 speed you can move a jig in a hurry or grind him up when the times comes. i use avet lx and jx series for everything from tarpon to tuna, including sails and stripped marlin with no complaints.

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 31, 2007, 08:58:07 PM
The Ocea jigger is due to hit shops in NZ soon
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

Neil Griffiths

August 02, 2007, 09:23:38 AM
Accurate has changed the reel since Greg's pic was taken.
They now have an offset power handle with a thicker plate, overall much better for jigging, also new cheaper price tag!

Chris Wong

August 03, 2007, 08:47:21 PM
The Ocea jigger is due to hit shops in NZ soon
Yeah, NZ$1000 !!

Chris Wong

August 03, 2007, 08:52:02 PM
If you want cheaper, check out the Pro Gear OC30.  Part designed by AG of Jigging Master fame. Ask Andrew for a list of retailers.

Hi Dave, glad to see you here!  Agree with you about the Ocea Jigger 4000P - my fav with Blue heaven up there too!