keith basso

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
tough pacific red snappers
June 25, 2010, 04:54:32 AM
anyone have any hints on how to prevent those gorgeous red snappers from micronesia to keep from turning into shoe leather upon preperation for table fare? thanks for any ideas or stories....

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: tough pacific red snappers
June 25, 2010, 08:09:40 AM
Keith, I have found the odd example in most tropical reef species over time, particularly with coral trout. It seems like the skin and the flesh of the fish when cooked could be used to construct a tennis ball! I'd like to know as well whether there is much that one can do about this.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Jim Isherwood

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 25, 2010, 11:07:11 AM
Gents !! I usually dont give away too many recipes but this ones a freebie

All reef fish should never be over cooked for starters ( not that any fish should be )

Make sure all fillets are of similar size ( 100 gram fillets are good )

Pre heat oven

Make a garlic -black pepper and garlic butter mix up and melt

Dust fillets lightly in a 50/50 mix cornflour -plain flour shake off excess

Dip fillets in butter mix

Sprinkle Paprika or if you are spice orientated a good topping of Cajun spice

Bake in oven for no more than 10 mins.

And done !!!!!!! keep it simple with seafood is the best trick ever guys

Callan Wallace

June 25, 2010, 06:34:05 PM
I find that when the reef fish are spawning they tend to get really rubbery. Nothing I have found helps. I just mark the calender and do not eat them during that time.
Cheers

Ian Ramsey

June 26, 2010, 08:39:45 PM
On some of the tougher reef fish I have found that brain spiking them helps , instint death , no acid build up in the fillets ,

Gary Prerost

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 01, 2010, 08:30:15 PM
I can only give my opinion on fish preping after capture. I have always dispatched fish as quickly as possible. Bleeding a fish makes a world of difference regardless of whether its to be eaten that night or frozen for the future. An ice slurry (saltwater and ice) is without doubt the best way to prep them for eating it drops the temp real quick and stops the inevitable breakdown of cells for a little while.Try yourself you will see how much blood the body maintains if you dont bleed a fish . If you want to keep fish for any period  I suggest filleting skin and scales on flesh to flesh and vac seal. for a 200 dollar peace of gear believe me you can preserve fish for a long time and in top condition if you go the extra effort.You will find any fish will be in top cond following these tips.
I shared a house with a chef years ago and he bbqd a fish on the beach one day he filled the blue bone with lemon slices ,butter salt and pepper cut the scaled skin and did the same butter ,lemon,salt pepper wrapped in foil and cooked it slow on coals. About halfway through he opened the foil and tipped half a cup of fresh sea water (depending on the size of the fish) and let it steam for a while open to the coals and smoke  .It was an amazing meal