Nomad Sportfishing

• Past Sponsor
  • Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Elusive Reef 30 June
July 01, 2010, 08:10:54 AM
Tim : Today started off fairly slowly with only 2 Gts landed for morning, despite fishing balls of bait and awesome looking current edges. I then decided to make the run to the new anchorage tostart fishing there and it really paid off. We got there just after the tide had turned and by the end of the day had landed 12. There were 3 Gts that nearly pulled the guys out of the boat they pulled so hard! 33, 36 and 38kg fish in amongst the other fish was what made the day for the anglers for sure! A great new anchorage after a good day of fishing with calm weather is hard to beat!

Nick:- Hoping to find some good looking pieces of water this morning with a few hours of run in tide. I was fishing with Malcom, Greg and Paul today. We managed to find three fish this morning which proved to be pretty hard work. We made our run to a new section of reef further east around 12:30. When we arrived here all looked promising and my goodness we found ourselves at the end of the rainbow no leprichauns though just a mass gathering of GTs up to thirty at one time under the boat! Malcom has fished in many places around the world and said today that he has never seen that before. I myself was starting to vibrate with excitement. The rest of the day went as good as it goes with us finding many patches of scared bait and seeing a fish almost every shot at a bait school. Greg also landed a nice 8kg Red Bass feeding on garfish with the GTs. Great day today we must have seen around 50 GTs, 14 in the boat and a truck of a red bass.

Damon:- Had an absolute cracker of a day today. Just really enjoyable fishing. The weather was great, George landed a GT on his first cast and all was happy with the world. We worked a single reef for the whole run in tide and had some consistent action, and the guys converted nearly every hookup into a fish. We found a nice little point at one stage and all hell broke loose with a GT chasing George's lure, then a shark came and had a look, then the GT came and had another go, and all the commotion stirred up a big coral trout and a school of red bass, as well as a barracuda. I am not sure which fish ate the lure in the end, but I think it was the 15kg coral trout that got airborne on the lure. Either way, the fish that george hooked then screamed off towards the reef only to have george grab the spool and have the line pop. Very sad end, but an amazing sight for all onboard. Eric was also doing well today with his Tropic Zoo stickbait, an he managed to land a 35kg GT which regurgitated a parrot fish that looked identical to his lure. Brendon also had a great day with his favourite SS stickbait, and in another amazing twist, the SS lure he lost yesterday was found floating by Glanny in the middle of the ocean. The stickbait was bitten off by a mackerel yesterday, and he got it back!! Amazing stuff. We ended the day with 18 GTs to the boat, and smiles all round. Another great day on the water!!

Glanville:- we started off on a reef which was not too far from the mothership and there was stacks of bait but few GTs we fished the bait shoals very hard and in the end managed to sneak one Gt in which Brandon was lucky enough to catch we then had a little bad luck and lost a few GTs consistently which started to get a little frustrating. We decided to make a move towards where the new anchorage was and found a couple of patches of bait and managed to get some Gts in the end despite some missed opportunities that went by. We did manage to find Longtail tuna central and the guys managed to tame a couple on Gt gear which was quite entertaining, the amount of Longtails was quite interesting to see there must have been 5 or 6 massive shoals that were just constantly frothing on the surface and anything you casted in amongst them would result in a fish, we even casted an I-cup Hammerhead popper between them and even that didn't last very long before a very enthusiastic Longtail had a go.