jarrodday

Hooks v's Hooks
July 01, 2010, 07:57:25 PM
OPINIONS:

I currently have a few lures rigged with ST 66 and 76TN's but picked up a few packets of Decoy Saltwater GT hooks today.

My question is, being a light guage has anybody had the hooks open or find they are not up to the challenge of battling GT's 30kg+

Thanks for your feedback.

Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Hooks v's Hooks
July 02, 2010, 10:45:45 AM
I would think that under the wrong (right, depending on perspective) circumstanes, pretty much any hook, in particular trebles, will open

I often use these in the 10/0 size on my big poppers like I-cups, Big Jim's etc, so far I have only caught 2 GT over 30kg on them (one nudging 40kg) and they were fine...also caught a bunch of 25kg-ish fish on them, no worries

For the bigger lures the Owners just aren't big enough for me if you want to use a treble, and from the bigger trebles on the market these seem pretty wallet friendly (relatively) so I used them first and will keep doing so until I have a problem

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
July 02, 2010, 10:49:40 AM
Hi Jarrod,

What lures do you plan to pair them with?

The 76's go well, but I don't find them big enough for some of the lures I use for 30kg+ GT. Having said that, I have landed 50kg+ GT on 66's but had numerous open up - guess I got lucky.

30kg+ GT is also pretty open category, personally, I would not use anything but a Decoy Saltwater GT Special for anything over that weigh class.

jarrodday

July 02, 2010, 02:22:16 PM
Luke, I am rigging Fisherman Big Mouth 150 and 170's along with 3 Orion BigFoot 150's at the moment. As I said I have 76's and 66's but liked the look of the Decoy being lighter in guage. Also like with turned in point so to speak. but with that was intrested in any problems if any.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
July 02, 2010, 02:53:26 PM
Luke, I am rigging Fisherman Big Mouth 150 and 170's along with 3 Orion BigFoot 150's at the moment. As I said I have 76's and 66's but liked the look of the Decoy being lighter in guage. Also like with turned in point so to speak. but with that was intrested in any problems if any.

OK we aren't talking about the same hooks.

Decoy saltwater are not referred to as "GT", I have not yet used this hook so I can't comment.

jarrodday

July 02, 2010, 08:40:07 PM
Sorry, mate my mistake  - Decoy Saltwater BIG Treble Hook.

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
July 02, 2010, 09:18:58 PM
Decoy Gt Saltwater Trebles would be the go mate,although a few people have broken the points of them several times,about 1cm down from the tip,ive seen it happen with alot of long pencil poppers..

Another is Gamakatsu GT Recorder,although i do like the Owner ST-76 trebles,they do keep there point,i have found once in New Cal i had attached ST66 in the middle of the popper and the ST76 on the back,one hug GT chased my popper down and eventually came from the side and made a connection with the 66 and i set the hook and opened up like butter,i was in a rush when i had changed the trebles over,didnt realise it until they were straightend and the difference in the thickness of the treble and weights of the trebles... david had said to me,no more weak hooks allowed,straight to Decoys he said..
Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 09:30:21 PM by Nathan Cefai

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
July 02, 2010, 09:25:02 PM
Decoy saltwater Gt special 10/0..

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 02, 2010, 10:08:42 PM
I rate Decoy Big Saltwater trebles above Decoy GT Special in durability , they may open up but not broken , we have had some of the GT Special broke too .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

jarrodday

July 03, 2010, 09:02:02 PM
Thanks to all who posted a reply, it is always good to know other anglers thoughts on a product that is so important. However, at this level, even the best/strongest can giveway.
Nathan, nice photo mate, well done.

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
July 04, 2010, 12:43:27 PM
Thanks to all who posted a reply, it is always good to know other anglers thoughts on a product that is so important. However, at this level, even the best/strongest can giveway.
Nathan, nice photo mate, well done.

Correct Jarrod,anything can fault..