Jamie Moir

maxel?
July 10, 2010, 10:12:06 PM
Yes price XE this reel made by MAXEL Jigging Master assemble themselves and brand.
Same reel with  MAXEL brand will be will be around $450 Au as of August in Australia and include 5 year warranty.

I thought the JM reels were supposed to be made in Taiwan? Are you saying that the JM reels are machined in China, then assembled in Taiwan?

Edit: actually I notice this page they are the reels you're importing?

The OSL10 looks like the JM PE7, but only busts enough drag for 65lb? Mores the pity, it otherwise looks good  for sambo season.
Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 10:19:01 PM by Jamie Moir

AustralianAngling

Re: maxel?
July 11, 2010, 10:19:04 AM
Yes MAXEL machine all the parts for Jigging master and some other brands.

Jamie Moir

July 11, 2010, 10:57:41 AM
Played with any samples yet?

Any idea what happened to the drag? The JM PE7 has a "efficient: 45lb, max: 80lb" and that reel is only making 22lb?

AustralianAngling

July 11, 2010, 03:14:22 PM
Have several reels and all models on way for Australian trade show. Just finished 3 weeks in Papau New Guinea with reels.
Really can not see point of 80lb or 36kg of drag I only use 18kg to 20kg of drag in the chair for 1000lb marlin and I rarely see an angler who can fish more than 20kg for any length of time.
I have the SM10 which states it has a max of 10kg was setting this reel to 15kg in PNG and it had plenty more available.

Jamie Moir

July 11, 2010, 03:23:34 PM
I've always considered the amount of drag available on JM reels to be a little ridiculous and therefore irrelevant.  Surely you would agree that you need at least 1/3 - 1/2 of the line rating though? So for PE8, you're looking at at least 12kg.

Good to hear the drag is a little better in the two speed, 33lb is a bit closer to the mark!

Andrew Cox

July 11, 2010, 08:21:09 PM
Played with any samples yet?

Any idea what happened to the drag? The JM PE7 has a "efficient: 45lb, max: 80lb" and that reel is only making 22lb?

Where did this info come from have you tested one ? I sure know my JM PE8 can pull far more than that.

Jamie Moir

July 11, 2010, 08:29:28 PM
Where did this info come from have you tested one ? I sure know my JM PE8 can pull far more than that.

We're discussing the offered spec, after all, they aren't shipping yet. Anyhow, that is what jigging master themselves offer; click

Its kind of irrelevant if your reel can pull more than 80lb in any case. As also noted, not much point in a reel offering stacks more drag than you could use with the intended line for it, ie; an 80lb reel doesn't need to be able to do 80lb of drag, that isn't how they're rated.
Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 09:01:38 PM by Jamie Moir

Andrew Cox

July 11, 2010, 08:41:30 PM

We're discussing the offered spec, after all, they aren't shipping yet. Anyhow, that is what jigging master themselves offer; [img=http://www.jiggingmaster-ag.com/view_product_d.asp?id=103]http://click[/img]

Its kind of irrelevant if your reel can pull more than 80lb in any case. As also noted, not much point in a reel offering stacks more drag than you could use with the intended line for it, ie; an 80lb reel doesn't need to be able to do 80lb of drag, that isn't how they're rated.

Sorry mate it looks to me like you are saying that a JM PE7 is only making 22lb of drag ? That link goes no where for me.
Of course 80lb is way more than needed but I do no guys that fight BFT on 30kg of drag from there stella's, not sure how you would hang on for that long on that much drag but they do it.

Jamie Moir

July 11, 2010, 09:04:30 PM
Link fixed, the forum misinterpreted it or something.

No, I'm asking why the maxel copy of the JM PE7 reel can only manage 22lb of drag when the JM can manage 45lb effective  to a totally ridiculous  80lb max.

Chris Wong

September 28, 2010, 08:36:18 PM
Because JM have installed twin drags.  Maxel have a different twin drag design which does not come close to that of JM. 

Jamie, you drive a car right?  Your car can probably go twice as fast as the speed limit - but you don't drive that fast for several obvious reasons.   Why do guys love their V8's?  Porsches?  Ferraris?  All fast cars that are only limited to 110kmph!

Similar reason why JM have developed a super drag system, you don't have to dial it up to the max!  PERFORMANCE. 

AustralianAngling

November 04, 2010, 02:18:19 PM
If you note that the ratings provided by MAXEL give max drag while still allowing free spool.
MAXEL reel will produce much more drag but you will not have a true free spool.

Jamie Moir

November 04, 2010, 03:02:43 PM
Sorry steve, but whats the point? No freespool, your jigs won't drop.

The OSL8 for example, can handle 8.5kg, so its really pushing it to be a PE5 reel, more like a PE4 one, but then its the same size as a PE6 reel. When you see things like that, you really get the impressopm just a little bit more homework and they would have a good product.

AustralianAngling

November 04, 2010, 03:42:11 PM
MAXEL SL10 standard has a max drag with freespool of 10kg for $385 for another $40 upgrade to HT100 and we got 16KG.

Jigging master PE6 which is same size has 14kg max with freespool cost $699.00

Chris Leong

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
November 05, 2010, 02:18:18 AM
Steve,

Just a note. What about the after sales service for the reels. Availability of spares parts for servicing is of great importance to alot of users i presume.

AustralianAngling

November 05, 2010, 08:23:55 AM
Have reel tech locally and have large quantity of spares already in Australia.
We have pulled down most models and inspected for quality.
Have put reels through some rigorous testing here and in Papua New Guinea.

MAXEL offers a limited 5 year warranty