Alistair Barnes

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Little bit of history.... grew up trawling in Kenya, then moved to Taiwan and got into shore jigging for GT and so on.  I'm now on my way back to Kenya and keen to take two boat jigging rods (I've seen the light!).     

Being in Taiwan i can get my hands on Jigging master gear and from what i have read it seems to be pretty high spec stuff.     I want two rods, one to match with a stella 10000 pg and a 6000 pg.   One capable of pe 5-7 range and the other pe 2-4 range.

The powerspell and the 3 kings special seem to be the highest spec rods although i can't differentiate between them from most of what i am reading, if anyone could help me out i would be grateful.

thanks....

Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • DARK CONTINENT DARKSTAR RIDER
  • Liked:
Hi Alistair,

Good chocie on the JM's mate, fantastic gear!

The main difference betwen the Powerspells and the 3 Kings rods is the tip strength vs Butt Strength...
Both rods have the incredible fish fighting parabolic action to the blanks that JM is famous for, but the 3 Kings special was designed to fish lighter jigs, with a more sensitive tip, while still maintaining the incredible butt strength of the heavier Powerspell models.

In a nutshell, this means you can fish jigs in a slightly wider range effectively, while still maintaining the low end grunt to horse big fish off the bottom.

If you are looking at fishing a broad range of Jigs, say from 200 grams up to 400 grams, then the 3 Kings 300 would be awesome. 300 gram tip sesnitivty with 500 gram butt strength.
An equivalent 500 gram Powerspell woul enable you to fish 400 to 600 gram jigs effectivelt, but would not be great to use with lighter jigs as the tip section would be too stiff for lighter jigs to be worked effectively... It would work of course, but wouldn't be the perfect tool for the job on lighter jigs...

Of course if you are going to be plumbing serious depths of the Kenyan Rips, and be needing 400 to 600 gram jigs 99% of the time, then the Powerspell would be the better option.
I would suggest one of each, with the 6000PG matching up to the lighter of the 3 Kings specials, and possibly a Powerspell 400 to match to the 10000PG...
But personally I would go for 1 x 3 Kings Specials 300 for the 10K... 1 x Powerspell 200 for the lighter work.... the 200 will handle jigs from 150 right up to 300 grams, and be an awesome set up for mid weights and depths...

Tough choice, and perhaps I've confused you further with my ramblings, but I hope this helps!

Cheers
Andre
To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth...

Alistair Barnes

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
awesome!  thanks for the insight and the help.....

Sam Beeby

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Just another angle for you. I asked the exact same question of the JM sales people because I couldn't distinguish between the specs of the 3 kings 300 and the powerspell 350, and they said more or less that all things being equal (depth jigged, jig weight etc) the other factor that would make them decide which rod to reach for on the day, would be the type of boat.
 They said that the 3 kings due to its tippier action (and I guess slightly higher fighting rod angle) is better for high gunwhales, and the more parabolic powerspell is better suited to lower gunwhales. Watch the vids of those low sided asian longboats they jig from and powerspells getting rested on coamings no higher than your groin.
From what they told me I figured that a powerspell action + high coamings + eggbeater might not let me lean up against the rail when fighting fish so I went for the 3 kings.