Chris Tan

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Using Stella 20000 spool for popping
August 09, 2007, 02:26:39 PM
Hi guys,

My wife and I are heading to New Caledonia soon for some popping. I've been advised by the charter to use 130lb braid with 400lb bite leader :o

As I've never used such heavy tackle before, I was contemplating putting in 130lb braid on my 20000PG spool and using it with my Stella 10000. I'm not exactly sure how much line I can fit in but I'm guessing it will be around 250m. As for the 16000 spool, I'm guessing I'll be able to fit in less than 200m of line.

My question to those in the know:

1) Will I encounter any problems in terms of casting with a 20000 spool? I've been told that with the deep spool, I might encounter some problems but not sure what problems I'll face

2) Would I be better off just using the 16000 spool with less line? I assume the boat will be assisting us in getting close to the fish - so I might not need more than 200m of line.

Any adivse or suggestions would greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Using Stella 20000 spool for popping
August 09, 2007, 03:33:42 PM
Chris

I used to worry about that too but these days, I'm quite happy to load up the 16000 and even the Yumeya 10000D spool with 130lb braid.

The reality is that you use such heavy braid to try to ensure the fish does not run much at all so realistically, you don't need the extra line you pack onto a 20000 spool. That just becomes a waste of line in my view. if the fish gets 10m of line off you, you will almost inevitably lose the fish. In some places I have fished, a couple of metres is enough to lose the fish.

if you do prefer a 20000 spool, you will have no real trouble casting with it. The only time you will start to encounter some issues will be if you lose 50M+ of line as it starts to get below the spool.

If you are worried about casting distance with such heavy line, it can make a significant difference if you use Varivas GT (and yes, I know how expensive it is!)
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Chris Tan

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
August 09, 2007, 03:43:00 PM
Hey Brandon,

Thanks for the advise. Was thinking of getting another 20k spool but had 2nd doubts about using the spool for popping. One of the local tackle shop owner had also told me that it would be a waste of line using the 20k spool.

Looks like I'll stick to the 16k spool and lock drag! ;D

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 09, 2007, 06:03:03 PM
Brandon, isn't the 10k spool to small for 100-130lb braid?, the specs say about 250m of PE6. I picked up a Stella 10k today and was going to load it with PE6 and use the spool off my 20k reel or get a spare 20k spool [500m PE6] for 100lb+ line. I see the Yumeya 10000D spool carries 300m of PE6, is that big enough and are they available in Australia.
 I see the 16k also carries 300m.
 Also a simple question, 'I think'. Is there any reason a 10k spool can't be used in jigging on a 20k reel? :-\

Greg 'FFF' Burt

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 09, 2007, 08:26:56 PM
Greg - my personal view is 150m - 200m is plenty enough line for GTs. Realistically, the average decent caster will get the popper out 70m to 90m. If you hook a fish, you cannot let the fish run with GTs. As I wrote earlier, in some locations, even 2m is death so 150m is actually adequate. Don't think you going to have the big surface runs of other pelagics. A GTs first instinct is to run for cover immediately.

Where you can have an issue fishing heavy line on a small spool is if you have some breakages. Everytime you tie a bimimi, you use a reasonable amount of line. Half a dozen breakoffs may see a noticeable reduction in the amount of line on your spool.

I have multiple spools on me at any one time so the likelihood that I have a problem like the above is pretty low.

For the standard 10000 spool I don't think I would go past 100lb. Yumeya spools are pretty hard to come by and no, I have not seen them in Australia.

Yes, you can use the 10000 spool on a 20000 but you would not want to hook a dogtooth on it.

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 09, 2007, 09:26:31 PM
Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 06:31:25 PM by Greg Burt
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 09, 2007, 10:23:40 PM
Greg - why would you want to put backing on a 10000 spool? It is already small enough as it is! If you go with PE6 on a 20000, that is a lot of line on the spool.

I didn't say I had multiple reels, it was spools but I have enough reels to get by, Greg  ;D That said, for some reason, I still can't help buying them!

On Popping trips, I work on the basis of two spare spools for each reel. The reason for that is a more a case of looking to maximise my fishing time than anything else. I already have my twisted leaders atttactched on each of my spare spools so if I have a break-off. it is a simple matter of just changing spools, pulling the lesder through, clipping a lure on and I'm back fishing. On the other hand, if I have to tie another bimimi and then attach another twisted leader, that takes a bit of time.

I actually don't think Mr Dunphy would be smiling that much considering that my primary popping reel(s) are Dogfights.  :D

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
August 10, 2007, 06:11:01 AM
Hey Brandon i think what Greg means is some backing of mono for the braid to bite into so it does not spin or slip on the spool, do you not do this?
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 10, 2007, 07:42:09 AM
I thought that might have been the case. There is no need to do this. All I do is uni knot a loop around the spool (make it a really good one) and then simply wind about five loops by hand around the spool. That will create enough bite for the line to come when you wind it on.

The reason why it is important that the loop around the spool is tied well is in the event you get sppooled. There have been occasions in the past when guys have been spooled but the knot around the spool has held and it has turned the fish! Unfortunately, no luck for me. I've been done twice on a 20000 and both times, the fish was still going at 100mph. If this is about to happen, you have to make sure you have a death grip on the rod and reel!

Rob Ciotucha

August 10, 2007, 07:51:26 AM
Another way to get the braid to bite onto the spool instead of mono backing, Is to use a layer of electrical tape, Has worked for me and others in the past.

Cheers
Rob

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 10, 2007, 06:54:54 PM
Thanks guys,
 Brandon, I meant spools not reels in reply #5 :-\.
 Cam, yep, backing for slippage :).
 Rob, I agree the tape works well if minimum backing is needed, we can discuss the finer points over dinner at Marion Reef ::).
 Mr Dunphy loves me, I can't be turned to the Dark side, though did have a 'little' think about a DF last week, but goodness prevailed and I got the 10k ;).
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
August 10, 2007, 06:59:20 PM
Once you go black you never go back....go the DF !

(PS and before anyone makes any funny remarks I mean the black reel not  :-* :-*)

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 10, 2007, 07:17:14 PM
 No worries Andrew, are the reels All Black? ;)
Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 07:19:04 PM by Greg Burt
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
August 13, 2007, 08:37:40 PM
Chris,

I've been using the 20k spool for a while now exclusively with PE10 & PE12. If your casting technique is up to scratch you should have no problem with casting with the 20k spool. Obviously, the 10k spool feels better and is a purpose distance casting spool the 20k still works and that's what matters. I have also used both Varivas & Tufline in PE12 (130lb) and have had no dramas with line capacity when it comes to GTs.

David & Rudy are masters at handling and manouvering the boat when popping for GTs (amongst others) - don't worry, you are definately in good hands.

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 13, 2007, 10:18:15 PM
Luke, do you use the extra spool washes supplied in the Stellas to change the lay on the spool, I used two extra on a 10k and it lays a beautiful casting 'cone', would it help the 20k spool?
Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 08:52:58 AM by Greg Burt
Greg 'FFF' Burt