Chris Tan

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Using Stella 20000 spool for popping
August 14, 2007, 10:31:41 AM
Chris,

I've been using the 20k spool for a while now exclusively with PE10 & PE12. If your casting technique is up to scratch you should have no problem with casting with the 20k spool. Obviously, the 10k spool feels better and is a purpose distance casting spool the 20k still works and that's what matters. I have also used both Varivas & Tufline in PE12 (130lb) and have had no dramas with line capacity when it comes to GTs.

David & Rudy are masters at handling and manouvering the boat when popping for GTs (amongst others) - don't worry, you are definately in good hands.

Thanks for the advise Luke. Will try "dry" casting with the 20k spool and see how it feels.

Narc

August 14, 2007, 04:55:20 PM
Chris,

I've been using the 20k spool for a while now exclusively with PE10 & PE12. If your casting technique is up to scratch you should have no problem with casting with the 20k spool. Obviously, the 10k spool feels better and is a purpose distance casting spool the 20k still works and that's what matters. I have also used both Varivas & Tufline in PE12 (130lb) and have had no dramas with line capacity when it comes to GTs.

David & Rudy are masters at handling and manouvering the boat when popping for GTs (amongst others) - don't worry, you are definately in good hands.

Thanks for the advise Luke. Will try "dry" casting with the 20k spool and see how it feels.

do keep a watchout for the neighbour's roof when you do that  :D

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 14, 2007, 06:01:17 PM

AhGu ,

You mean your roof ?  :o

Jon .  :D
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Chris Tan

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
August 14, 2007, 06:26:14 PM

AhGu ,

You mean your roof ?  :o

Jon .  :D

I don't think the neighbours would be too worried as I was only gonna use a 200g stickbait and debarbed trebles on my dry run! :-*

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 15, 2007, 08:32:26 AM
Chris, if you are intending to go down to the local padang to test it out, I suggest you remove any hooks you have on the lures. I unfortunately found out many years ago doing this that dogs like chasing things you cast around..........

I was within an inch of getting into a fight with the owner who was well, somewhat unhappy. The only thing that saved me was that the friend who I was teaching to cast was about 120kg.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
August 15, 2007, 09:20:22 AM
I practice at a local park too and had fun with dogs as well.But I put some sinkers inside a tennis ball to reach the required weight, and its tied on via some very heavy leader and a hole through the ball. That way you dont damage your lures as it doesnt dig into the ground, and if a dog does take it , it wont hurt the dog. So far , so good.

Chris Tan

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
August 15, 2007, 09:25:33 AM
Chris, if you are intending to go down to the local padang to test it out, I suggest you remove any hooks you have on the lures. I unfortunately found out many years ago doing this that dogs like chasing things you cast around..........

I was within an inch of getting into a fight with the owner who was well, somewhat unhappy. The only thing that saved me was that the friend who I was teaching to cast was about 120kg.

We usually dry cast in our local reservoirs. Its fresh water and has less damage on the lines and at the same time we can check out the popper action as well. We do get people looking at us strangely and asking us what we were trying to catch without hooks. ;D

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 15, 2007, 01:26:33 PM
if that is the case, you should leave your hooks on - you might catch the biggest snakehead in the world!

lonhro

August 15, 2007, 01:40:16 PM
Have you guys not ever wondered what a Great Dane would flight like on a popping outfit. I would have thought that would be good fitness for both fisherman and the dog. We have all seen the XXXX gold adds on Tv.

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 15, 2007, 01:48:13 PM
Great Danes are no good randy, they can't play cricket either. ::)
Harry [blond haired one] shows up fishing in some 'Fishing West Australia' episodes, he's got the same nature as in the adds. ;D
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 15, 2007, 01:49:25 PM
Randy, the great dane won't fight much if you're using a big Gamakatsu Recorder

Have you guys not ever wondered what a Great Dane would flight like on a popping outfit. I would have thought that would be good fitness for both fisherman and the dog. We have all seen the XXXX gold adds on Tv.

lonhro

August 15, 2007, 03:53:33 PM
Well i know one thing. A big hook like that he would not be getting off too quickly. I wonder how they would pull. Why don't you ask a friendly Sydney sider (Every second person ) if he would mind you trying it on his puppy  ;D ;D.