Sam Cheadle

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Blackout Sportfishing Cairns
July 26, 2010, 10:14:10 AM
Anyone ever been with Blackout Sportfishing Cairns?

I met a guy who knows a guy.....  Nah but seriously. Someone i know went fishing with this guy a couple of months back and told me tales of huge 40, 50, 60...100kg Gt's they were hooking up to. He said they fished live baits and got done by many a big GT 50kg+. The biggest landed was a 30kg as the rest were unstoppable he says, and he lost count of how many he caught.

I find it all a little hard to believe as there website doesn't really show any monsters, and considering he took an expedition outfit with 80 pound braid.

He said he would bring in the photos, but keeps forgetting them.

Am i right thinking this is tall tales?

Has anyone been with these guys?

Mario Benedict

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: Blackout Sportfishing Cairns
July 26, 2010, 10:58:08 AM
100kg GT
I'd like to see that.

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 26, 2010, 11:51:06 AM
Many a fisherman has a "one that got away" story.
Also most folks overestimate the weight of the fish. 50kg = 1.5M fish or very close to that.
 I think I had a 200kg GT on some 3 years ago off Solo reef in Fiji but cannot confirm as I never saw colour and after 30 minutes of fighting it on 80lb braid it still busted me off. Might have been more than 200kg come to think of it because I landed my PB 40kg fish in 4 minutes.
 ;)

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
July 26, 2010, 12:19:17 PM
Kerry from Blackout is a great guide.

I'm not sure about your mate though and the information he has been told.

There are plenty of school fish from 5 - 25kg available with the occasional bigger one every now and then. There are bigger fish available but they simply are not as common or holding deeper in areas that get less pressure.

It would not surprise me in the least if there are a fair amount of 40kg+ even 50 class fish on the wrecks. It's a great attracting food source with a lot of structure for protection as well as ambushing!

Sam Cheadle

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 26, 2010, 02:35:06 PM
I did look into this guy a couple of years back before taking a holiday in Cairns. He seemed like a decent guy on the phone but we went with a mob out of port douglas in the end and it was pretty lousy.
Even though the guy i speak to might have let his enthusiasm increase the size of the fish he caught, this would be a cheap option for anyone visiting Cairns who want to go fishing for 15 - 25kg GT's, and potentially bigger. Live baiting could be alright too, although not as much fun as poppers

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 26, 2010, 02:41:33 PM
I have been out with Kerry on a few occasions. He is a very good guide and he knows the area backwards. He also knows the size of his fish so he would not have been making outlandish claims.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Stephen Polzin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 26, 2010, 02:58:45 PM
tales of huge 40, 50, 60...100kg Gt's they were hooking up to.

From all reports Blackout is a gun operation, though I'd love to know where they were fishing if those sizes are accurate. 

In the last ten years I've caught and seen caught hundreds of GT's off Cairns, both bait fishing around wrecks/channel markers and casting poppers/stickbaits.  I reckon the biggest I've seen personally would have been under 30kg. 
I know there are bound to be places where bigger fish reside (in Cairns) but I haven't found them yet.
Cairns Bommie Basher

Sam Cheadle

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 26, 2010, 03:38:41 PM
It wasn't Kerry making the claims. Its a guy i know in Sydney

Mark Gwynne

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
July 26, 2010, 05:18:43 PM
The biggest GT I've caught so far is around 40 kg off the Green Island wreck just off Cairns. It's quite close and is well known for big GT's, a lot of which blow you away in the wreck. I imagine Blackout hits this spot a lot as well as other marks he would have.

100 kilo though... doubt it.

Mike Heltborg

July 28, 2010, 10:26:44 AM
HI All,

I have also been out with Kerry 6 times..........always produces fish and is happy to just chase GTs if you want.
If there is some current we have thrown poppers at bombies for some good results.....if the currents are not favourable we've hit wrecks and reefs that always seem to be choc full of GTs.
I last fished towards the end of June this year and got some nice GTs. Previous trips i had struggled to get the fish holding deeper to take lures or jigs. Like mentioned previously we hooked big GTs on Live Baits and some times on other hooked fish that you were bringing up.
 This time i got some PB fish on BIG soft plastics and sinking stick baits. Ill try and work out how to post he pics.
We got blown away by what we thought were bigger fish and did see some big ones shadowing other hooked fish.
we didn't measure or weigh the fish so an idea of weight would be appreciated.
Ive not tried other guides out of cairns so can only comment on some great days with kerry.
cheers
mh

Mike Heltborg

July 28, 2010, 11:06:01 AM
Hi Team...heres one...i'll see if i can get some more downloaded.
mh

Mike Heltborg

July 28, 2010, 11:25:47 AM
Here's afew more......my brother in law and i got about 5 or 6 each.........and only stopped when our backs were stuffed and we wanted a couple of trout for the table.

cheers
mh

Mark Gwynne

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
July 28, 2010, 09:34:00 PM
Looks like the Green Island wreck to me!! Nice fish, that wreck is covered in them!

Sam Cheadle

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 29, 2010, 07:33:41 AM
Next time i'm in Cairns there is no doubt in my mind who i will be going with. This guy would have to be the best option for the price?