Nomad Sportfishing

• Past Sponsor
  • Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Elusive Reef 28 July 2010
July 30, 2010, 12:05:48 PM
Alex- Today started off much better than the last few days, no rain, less wind and shining sun. Our plans today were play around with the light tackle and do a bit of trolling. We had some good action early on in the shallows losing some good reefies and getting the usual shallow water suspects of bludgers and goldspots and the odd red throat. We then went trolling but with a bit of a difference, using the sebile bongo jerk that lets you troll at about 20 knots. Hearing the screaming drag told me we had hooked up and brought a nice sharky to the boat. We boated heaps more sharkies and dropped a few better fish that had the torsa screaming in pain as it headed back towards the mainland, I was actually a bit happy this fish dropped the hooks as there was not much line left on the reel. Late in the afternoon we found an awesome looking bay that just screamed fish, first pass we had a double hook up on doggies. Not huge ones but about 4-5kg. We got another bigger specimen of about 8kg then dropped another of the same size under the boat. The sounder was lit up at this point and I would have loved to drop a jig down as I'm sure we would have had a ball catching a few on the light tackle. We ended the day with a nice Spaniard of about 20kgs a good day with a fair bit of variety.

Glanville:- today felt like I was in heaven in comparison to yesterday, armed with 3 keen anglers we went on a GT hunt, leaving the mothership with sunlight and a glassy calm ocean felt like a novelty that will never get old. The day started off great and continued in that manner for the rest of the day, we continuously were seeing fish and every spot we stopped at was just a matter of time before a GT paid us a visit, although they were coming up to the lures very shy we managed to boat 7 quality Gts 1 of which would have been 32kg an extremely fat fish, in saying this we sighted no less than 30 GTs for the day, it was interesting today to see how the fish were coming up deep and just swiping at the lures most of the time not even touching them and it made no difference on types they simply weren't eating but they numerous sightings kept the boys on their toes, between the Gts the guys caught the usual critters, gold spots couple mackerel and finished the day off with a horse of a red bass, with the amount of fish in the area I am looking forward to when they start chewing and with the good weather forecasted the next couple of days should be interesting.

Chris:- well I'll keep this short and sweet. Today we set out on the hunt for GTs and only GTs. We were looking for the big one, and we accomplished just that. The plan was to fish our way down the edges and blue holes to the new anchorage. Seeing and missing the odd one. We pulled a nice GT of about 32kg out of a nice draining blue hole. Seeing a fair bit of bait but obviously nothing chasing it as the fussies weren't scared one bit. Pulled up to a nice isolated bommie that I had seen in the corner of my eye. Bit of bait here and there but nothing special, a flash on the second cast ofthe Sebile 152 splasher and it was game time this absolute bus engulfed this small popper leaving a big hole in the water. 15 minutes later a GT of about 55kg. A big congratulations to Larry for pulling this fish out. Great effort...mate

Nick:-Better weather today saw a happier bunch of guys all round with the sun finally showing itself and only a few patches of rain here and there to cool us down. We were looking for anything with a tail today and had a great day doing so. We managed to get a few nice reefies this morning with Kenji also landing his first GT which was great and the smile was one for the memory bank. As the day progressed we added to our bag species with a nice longtail which was much appreciated at the dinner table. Patrick managed to land another GT which was tagged and is the first tagged one I have caught so far. We recorded the numbers so it will be interesting how much the fish has grown since it was tagged. So no crazy action today but we had fun nevertheless. 

Josh Cunningham

Re: Elusive Reef 28 July 2010
July 30, 2010, 12:16:29 PM
Hopefully they are getting hungry for late next week when we come up on the Frederick & Elsusive reef trip :) :)

Nomad Sportfishing

• Past Sponsor
  • Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
July 30, 2010, 12:30:24 PM
Hi Josh

Forecast is looking brilliant so far, I can only see through til Thursday next week at this stage

Josh Cunningham

July 30, 2010, 12:54:38 PM
Excellent, well I think we fly out to Frederick reef on Thursday Morning! So hopefully the weather can stay good for the next week too!!!  Can hardly wait to get amongst a few big fish hopefully!!!!!!

Josh Cunningham

July 30, 2010, 04:15:50 PM
How are the tides looking for our trip 5-11 august? Also does the new moon have any impact either positive or negative on the fish? Thanks in advance