Josh Cunningham

Nomad - Elusive & Frederick Reef Aug 5- 11
July 29, 2010, 08:54:35 AM
Hello,

I am going on a ultimate explorer trip out to Elusive and Frederick Reef with Nomad and I was just wondering what effect the wind strength will have on where we fish etc? What is the basic rule of thumb out there ( at what strength) does the wind start to dictate on where we can fish??

Also I have noticed that while we are out there we will be fishing over a new moon? Is this likely to have any effect?

Sorry for the questions this is my first proper GT encounter and first live aboard trip ( have fished Melville Island a few times but the group decided to change it up abit!!) So excited just want to get out of the office and onto the reef!!! Cheers in Advance!

Chuen Fan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Josh, if its really windy, just about the only places you wont be able to fish would be the outside edges of the reefs, with waves crashing around and big swells, its very hard to keep your balance to cast and can get quite dangerous. We fished in 25-30 knts of wind at Elusive a few weeks back and still managed to find sheltered waters around the various reef systems to fish from. Don't worry about a thing, the guides will take care of it and do all the thinking for you!
AKA: Sunny

Josh Cunningham

Thanks for that Sunny. Hopefully the weather will be good anyway!! How did you go out at Eusive? We are doing 3 days there and 3 days at Frederick? I'm pretty excited to hopefully get a few decent size GT's and wouldnt mind a big Tuna and Wahoooooo!!!

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Frederick isn't structured like Elusive. If it is really windy, I doubt you will get there.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Josh Cunningham

Well the seaplane is taking us to Frederick reef first? got the email with times today?? What is classified as really windy?? Cheers in advance

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
If that is the case, then they've decided that they'll fish Frederick first and head back to Elusive after. Every reef is different - 20 knots at Elusive is very fishable but at Marion, it's hell. There's definitely shelter at Frederick than Marion in my opinion but if you're travelling back from Frederick overnight in the Odyssey and it's 20 knots ........... Well, have fun!
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Josh Cunningham

hmmm well hopefully for the money that has been invested the weather gods will be kind!! is it usaually very rocking on the odyssey at anchor?? well yeah im just hopeful we can fish both reefs and get onto a few nice fish!!! not long now