• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Marion Reef 2008 - Tackle Recommendations
August 22, 2007, 09:18:09 PM
I'm not familiar with that rod as I haven't had a play around with one yet but the fact that it is rated up to PE8 is a big improvement. Looking at the pricing of the rod though, you'd need to consider the Saltiga GT86 as an option. It really comes down to what you prefer.

Not available yet ;) ;D

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 21, 2007, 08:19:51 AM
Guys, a couple more suggestions:

It is always a good idea to bring along a spray jacket. Apart from keeping yourself dry if there is a bit of wind and chop, it can be pretty cool in the mornings, especially if you get wet. I take a pair of waterproof pants as well. You also never know if it is going to rain.

For each day, you'll want to take out a small tackle bag with your lures, terminals, spare spools etc. I recommend you find yourself a waterproof bag like a Shimano Banar in a medium size. These will fit comfortably into the storage compartments in the dories. I don't use the Banar myself because I much prefer a hard bag but whatever bag you use, make sure it is waterproof otherwise it is a real pain at the end of each day. The storage compartments on the dories are not waterproof as I have found out in the past and your whole bag gets waterlogged if it is not waterpoof.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Simon Thomas

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 21, 2008, 09:32:58 AM
Guys,

I'm heading out to Marion at the end of May and received my information sheet yesterday.  On it they said they don't allow lures with trebles at all on the boat.  Hence I don't think I would be stocking up on those expensive trebles.

Simon

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 21, 2008, 12:49:13 PM
I am aware of that and was going to inform those going to Marion this year. It is a transition period so those rules will be phased in and they will be flexible during the transition.

Nomad has decided to institute a number of new rules and procedures which are primarily designed to try to ensure they release the fish in the best condition they can and I am strongly of the view that this is something we should all, as responsible fishermen, support. Most of these are based around dogtooth tuna but the rule of trebles is focussed on GTs.

There is no question whatsoever that trebles do more damage to the GTs than singles. In addition, I have to say that based on testing of nearly a year now that the Baker rig is at least as effective and in the view of many of us, more effective than trebles. I have started primarily using singles off the back and a Baker off the belly.
If it swims; I want to catch it!