Andrew Williams

Hollow or Solid
November 30, 2010, 01:50:29 AM
What do you prefer hollow or solid braid line?   Thanks

Jamie Moir

Re: Hollow or Solid
November 30, 2010, 09:54:57 AM
On a few of the US forums, particularly 360tuna, they insist that the JB 60 hollow breaks at about 90lb, but if you look here; Paulus Just Fishing: line testing you can see JB 60lb hollow broke @ 50lb, & 130lb hollow broke at 96lb, EEK!!!

I had a couple samples of JB sent to me by the fantastic dealer Basil from BHP Tackle, and I took a pic of the line v's some alternatives. A is daiwa boat braid PE4/55lb, B is JB60lb hollow, C is daiwa boat braid PE6/80lb & D is JB80 hollow. The pic doesn't really capture how nice and floppy it is, it would pack down very well. Another oddity is that JB100lb may actually be thinner than 80, because of the number of carriers.

I'm a bit interested in the fingercuff splicing etc, it looks like a really neat system and being able to splice in replacement line using a 100% join would also be rad. The two runs of 80lb hollow marked D is in fact a loop I put into the 80lb hollow using a latch needle for a bit of fun. IMHO you need a fairly nice needle for trying same in 60lb, its super fine.

Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 09:58:08 AM by Jamie Moir

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
November 30, 2010, 10:14:52 AM
Tried JB 130lb hollow and really didn't like it.  I seriously struggled to splice it, although others seems to be able to do it, and that's where its benefits are.  I found the thickness of it made casting a struggle relative to solid line.  For me it's solid every time.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 30, 2010, 06:46:59 PM
A lot of anglers out there swear by the hollow spectra so it obviously does the job for them. I personally prefer the solid braids.
I must admit, I am a little shocked by the break test. I might send a few samples to be tested when I have time.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Jamie Moir

November 30, 2010, 11:06:13 PM
Excellent, I'd appreciate some retests, and a test of 100lb if anyone has it.

Please mail at least 3m of line, carefully marked, to ;

Line Test.
13 Alhambra Ave
Cardiff 2285 NSW
Australia

He asks that you include a return email address, so that he can let you know when its been done and the results are on the site.

Other people may also be interested in the knot testing, you need to send in 2m of line with the knot in the middle and a sample of the lowest strength line for it to be meaningful.

The big standout for me has been Daiwa Boat Braid PE4/55lb breaking at 68lb.

Patrick Naslund

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 01, 2010, 02:36:35 AM
A lot of anglers out there swear by the hollow spectra so it obviously does the job for them. I personally prefer the solid braids.
I must admit, I am a little shocked by the break test. I might send a few samples to be tested when I have time.

As I understand things.. JB hollow now is different from the JB hollow tested by Paulus.
The JB 60 hollow had a ABS around  70 lb a couple years back.. but now has been tested by many different sources to average around 90 lb +
The JB 100 hollow and 80 hollow is both around 120 lb ABS

( I'm in the making of testing these lines myself as soon as I can get things organized... I have 4 different ones
60,80 and 100 and 130 )

Alex Jordan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 04, 2010, 10:13:18 AM
I am sold after Dave Foyle showed me how to splice it properly ... I have even gone as far as using spliced leaders made up to spec by Streamline in the US - basically end up with a secure knotless system ...

Use a long length of solid trace wire and double it - at least 60cm and point the loop downwards ... the braid must be pushed upt eh needle rather than try and push the needle along the braid ...

Dave showed me how to splice a 200lb hollowcore 2m length as the business end into 80 or 130 JB hollow ... I love the stuff :)

Admittedly I have not road tested it that much but Dave used it for a two week back to back Nomad trip without issue ...

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 04, 2010, 11:10:28 AM
the reason why I am shocked is because every test I have ever seen of the hollow braid shows it over-testing by a fair margin.

As I understand things.. JB hollow now is different from the JB hollow tested by Paulus.
The JB 60 hollow had a ABS around  70 lb a couple years back.. but now has been tested by many different sources to average around 90 lb +
The JB 100 hollow and 80 hollow is both around 120 lb ABS

( I'm in the making of testing these lines myself as soon as I can get things organized... I have 4 different ones
60,80 and 100 and 130 )
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 04, 2010, 12:48:15 PM
Brandon or others... any comments on the casting differences of JB solid and JB hollow?

Gareth Branicki

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 04, 2010, 05:33:03 PM
 I noticed the test results any idear on what the the breking strain of of the solid is just bought some of the 80 lb solid diameter wise its thicker than the japanese brands feels really smooth which concerns me as i am realy used to tuf line yet to cast it Mark and dont have the hollow will find out in over the xmas break what its like to cast.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
December 04, 2010, 05:42:59 PM
Brandon or others... any comments on the casting differences of JB solid and JB hollow?

Solid definitely casts better.

My conclusion is that hollow holds more water and catches more air due to it's inherent hollow characteristics.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 04, 2010, 05:54:46 PM
Thanks Luke. That is what I have heard from several sources. I only use the solid.

Alex Jordan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 07, 2010, 01:46:33 AM
You may lose a few metres casting with HC but nothing good technique and some gym work couldn't resolve :)

Patrick Naslund

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 12, 2010, 06:54:03 PM
When it comes to ABS and testing of JB hollow , Paulus has just joined this thread on 360tuna
 http://www.360tuna.com/forum/f3/test-your-braided-line-don-t-assume-its-strength-6136/

if anyone is interested in ABS and how its measured, and why the results might differ.