Chris Webster

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Wind On Leaders
August 15, 2010, 12:40:28 AM
Hi Guys,

Anyone know where i can get some wind on's for a decent price? Looking for 100lb and 150lb.

Cheers,

Chris

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Wind On Leaders
August 15, 2010, 11:59:40 AM
Wellseys have a few brands with the 'inhouse' made ones good value.

http://www.wellsystackle.com/sunshop/index.php?l=product_list&c=544
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Mack Carson

November 11, 2010, 04:18:23 AM
Look on Ebay.
There used to be a bloke up in Cairns. Did them for the Game boats and  tourists.

Used to do 'em for me. Size and weight\ends to suit.

Aaron Concord

January 25, 2011, 11:27:52 PM
Mack,

If you need wind-ons, I can make them for you.

I use a doubled length of dacron for the 'sleeve' and gelspun for the whipping.  I don't use glue since I have a jig which helps apply more tension to the mono inside the sleeve of dacron.
These wind-ons can be used for max drag applications due to the manufacture process.
I mainly make them for myself and mates, though the list is growing, so I thought I'd offer.

The leader material is typically Momoi Standard or XL, though I can use shockleader or fluorocarbon as well.  Leader range is 40, 60, 80, 100, 150, 200, 300, 400, 500 and 600.  There can be some variance depending on the brand of leader used, though the above mentioned is a good starting guide.

PM me if you are still after some and I can give you prices and leader types.

Cheers

Aaron.
Righto.......back to making some more 100lbers!

Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • DARK CONTINENT DARKSTAR RIDER
  • Liked:
January 26, 2011, 03:12:42 AM
  Leader range is 40, 60, 80, 100, 150, 200, 300, 400, 500 and 600

Sweet Buddha's belly Aaron, those can't be much fun to cast!!!  :o ;D 8) :P ;)
To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth...

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 26, 2011, 08:44:30 AM
Only 3ft long  ;)
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Brock Arifovic

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
January 26, 2011, 05:15:11 PM
Practice makes perfect

Aaron Concord

January 26, 2011, 08:27:40 PM
You got it Bun!  3 foot of drop is all you need  8)

I never said 'How long' they are Dre!!!!!!!!

Nah mate, the big mummas are for heavy tackle trolling for blue and black marlin.
Funny thing is, I started doing wind-ons for billfishing and now I do just as many for jigging!!!

The beauty of having had billies to 1200lb tagged on my heavy stuff is that I have worked on toughening up the lighter wind-ons for heavy drag applications.

Cheers,

Aaron.

Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • DARK CONTINENT DARKSTAR RIDER
  • Liked:
January 27, 2011, 02:19:11 AM
Aaron - I figured those 500 and 600 bab boys were for the Stickies...  8)

Having a 1200lb Billie to your wind ons credit is pretty damn impressive... Might need to get a couple off ya!
To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth...

Jamie Moir

January 27, 2011, 09:49:13 AM
I see a few of the yanks have moved to using JB Hollow for their windons, instead of hollow dacron.

Aaron Concord

January 27, 2011, 08:24:51 PM
Dre,

Nomad tagged a few big blacks off the GBR in 2004 with 3 estimated over a 1000lb, the biggest being 1200 or so on my wind-ons.
The funny thing is, I made them all while under steam between ports off Queensland in the mother ship with none of the fancy pants stuff I use these days to make them more durable.
I was very pleased that they held together I can tell you!  The highest drag settings used were the 'sunset' position on the older 130TI Tiagras which is around 35kg.

Jamie,

The JB hollowcore is a terrific material to use for wind-ons, though it is more expensive and some people won't pay the extra!
Having said that, I am going to change to JB where I believe that the rot resistance may benefit the customer, let alone myself!
Dacron is still a very valid material to use, though there are merits in the hollow core braid that make sense to use it.

Aaron.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 27, 2011, 08:41:40 PM
Aaron, would love to see some pics of your wind-ons.

Aaron Concord

January 27, 2011, 11:15:44 PM
Mark,

I'll squeeze a few rounds off on the Nikon and post them up soon.

There has been an evolution of how they have been put together over the last 14 years!

Some of the early ones, while they worked, were far from pleasant to the eye.

A mate of mine showed me some improvements a few years ago and I have stuck with this secret formula since.......it was a way of utilizing no toxic glue to help the dacron or braid stick to the mono that had me by the short n curlies!!!!!!!!

Dre,
If you need some, just PM me mate!

Aaron.

Jon Jarvis

January 27, 2011, 11:31:37 PM
The bloke that does my wind ons uses a UV glue. Seems to work pretty well so far.

Aaron Concord

January 28, 2011, 10:04:54 PM
Jon,

If it's the same UV glue that is used in fly fishing for gluing knots, flies and fly lines, I have baulked at using it over the whip finish (the binding part where the mono merges from the dacron) and if it's a little bulbous, I've had a mate lose a few fish on his due to mackerel and wahoo biting at the clear little mound of glue as it flies through the water after a hookup.
We get problems here in South East Queensland where anything resembling a baitfish a times gets snapped at by toothy critters, to the point even white dacron can get too much attention so I use black instead!

Aaron.