Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Your favourite colours
March 20, 2007, 08:32:18 AM
Hi all,

What do you consider your favourite colours for poppers or stickbaits ?

This is most probably influenced by where you fish and the type of bait fish around. For the type of fishing I do, its bluish colours to imitate slimy mackerals,pilchards, bonitos etc....but also the red head/white body as the universal one.

Do you find it makes much of a difference ? With poppers, given the fish hits from the underneath there isnt much colouring there, so does it matter.

cheers
andrew

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Your favourite colours
March 20, 2007, 08:43:26 AM
I don't think I've ever been able to figure whether colours matter as much for surface lures like poppers, especially the pencil poppers. For me, I tend to prefer the darker colours for poppers and the reason for this is the silouhette from below. If you take the perspective of the fish (from below) and you're looking up at a skipping pencil popper, I feel as if it would be more visible if it is a darker colour. That said, I cannot say that I feel I have been more successful with darker colours.

I have found it a bigger issue for stickbaits and do try to replicate what I feel are the baitfish in the area. Around reefs in the Coral Sea, I like stickies that are fusilier like.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 20, 2007, 01:46:46 PM
I dont think that the colour has a big impact with poppers.Action and the silhouette would be more relevant to these surface lures. But like you said, for lures that spend more time underwater I think it does help to imitate the local baitfish. I usually have a few different colours of each lure being the tackle junkie I am - I have found that some colours do seem better for certain species of pelagics around here. Not sure if the same goes out on the reefs .

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 20, 2007, 06:06:34 PM
if you think about it, surely replicating the baitfish in the area is what you want to do.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
March 20, 2007, 09:27:50 PM
I don't really care too much for colours - especially for the lures that don't go beneath the surface.

I am a fan of darker colours like Brandon - particularly dark blues/blacks etc. - i also have a thing for poppers with yellow faces ::)

As for sub-surface stickbaits and the like, i agree with matching the local baitfish - i also don't think there is anywhere in the world where a fusilier colour/imitation wouldn't work. Having said that, blues, purples and greens.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 20, 2007, 09:54:45 PM
I got a friend in Singapore who refuses to use really light coloured poppers for the reason we set out above. He was giving me grief on all my nemo coloured lures.

Fusiliers are the reason why I like Orion Bigfoots so much. The shape and darting action really look a lot like one. Btw Luke, did you get to test them out in Cairns at all?

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 20, 2007, 10:32:52 PM
Our outstanding lure on my boat over the last 5 years has been the Pink [dark purple] chrome Crazy Deep [8mt] 190 Laser Pro, it's out fished all other lures 5 to 1, even with a Gold Chrome Crazy deep next to it. Even on the 160 [2mt] lures the Pink Chrome has been supreme.
YF tuna to 15kg, Wahoo to 30kg+ and heaps of Trevs and Macks.
We usually run purple/red/black/blue as dominant colours in combos in subsurface skirted lures and lumo/yellow/green/blue combos [dorado] or red and white on the surface. Maybe they'd work the other way round but at the moment it aint broke ::).
COLOURS SUCK ME IN  ;D ;D ;D
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 20, 2007, 11:05:41 PM
I've been amazed by how successful a colour purple has been in trolling minnows. I haven't been able to work out why as there aren't too many purple baitfish out there!

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
March 21, 2007, 12:51:21 PM
I got a friend in Singapore who refuses to use really light coloured poppers for the reason we set out above. He was giving me grief on all my nemo coloured lures.

Fusiliers are the reason why I like Orion Bigfoots so much. The shape and darting action really look a lot like one. Btw Luke, did you get to test them out in Cairns at all?

Yeah mate i did give them ago. I do like the lure - very heavy though.

Didn't have any bumps or hook-ups though :( Need to practice the technique.