Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Bugatti Reef, 27 August to 2 September
September 10, 2010, 02:57:46 PM
Hey guys, just a short report. Conditions were very hard for myself and 8 fellow anglers for this trip. We haad one half day at about 10 knots and another full day at the end of the week at about the same, 20 knots another day and about 25knts for three days solid in a row. We saw heaps of fish but they were not very aggressive and I don't think I would be exaggerating if I said it was probably only 1 in 3 fish that actually hit the lure instead of following or swirling behind it lazily. Out of those of course you then have missed hook ups, pulled hooks etc. A lot of the guys were not hardcore GT anglers, only 3 of us spent the majority of the time fishing for GT, so that also kept numbers down a bit. I think we landed about 50 GT between the 9 of us for the week, about 36 split pretty evenly between myself, and Gabriel and Christian from France and Luxembourg respectively, and the rest split between the others.

In summary...it was probably the week that could have been. It is abundantly clear that the fishing potential of Bugatti Reef and similar spots visited by Nomad is out of control good. Like anywhere, the weather plays a significant part in how you can fish, and also whether the fish are on the chew. We hit it at a bad time.

That being said, I really, really enjoyed the week. The fishing, by normal standards, was still quite good and I could have landed a lot more fish by focusing on light tackle work. The biggst GT I got was only (only :rolleyes:) about 30kg. There were a number of fish of 25-28kg taken and one fish of approximately 40kg landed by Gabriel (although it is a wonder how, as he was fishing pussy drag and it took him about 20 minutes, he is 56 though). Its measurements were something like 127cm by 105cm, a really nice fish. All of the fish here fought very well for their size, I guess due to the ridiculous currents they live in. Average size was probably 18-20kg.

The light tackle fishing was good to awesome, varying from session to session. The ability to be throwing poppers for GT one second and small lures for mackerel, trout, emperor, trevally, longtails etc literally the next second, is pretty awesome.

I thought the fact we could fish as comfortably and effectively as we did said a lot for the fishability of the area. I have fished plenty of places where 25knt winds would have meant sitting around drinking and reading a book.

The knowledge and commitment of the guides and crew was superb. Nothing was too much hassle, including bending a prop to chase a fish over the shallows, albeit I think under some duress from Gabriel. The food and hospitality on board was absolutely top notch.

The scenery was at times breathtaking. We also saw, on several occasions, humpbacks fully breaching anad doing fin play on the surface. I saw a couple of manta rays jump. We saw sharks, turtles, sea snakes, dolphins smashing bait schools.

Yes, the fishing was 'disappointing' based on what it could have been, but after thinking about it for a few days, I prefer to look at what it was. A great week, in some remote and virtually untouched territory, hanging out with a professional crew and some damn nice blokes, relaxing and catching cool fish.

Will I be back? Damn straight. Either to Bugatti or Elusive almost certainly, to some other locations with Nomad, for sure. I have some unfinished business out there on the Coral Sea.

Random Photos

Double hook up

Decent GT

Little GT

Two big heads

Surprise surprise...a GT

Nice rainbow runner

Shark Mackerel

Bludger inhaled lure

Sooo blue

Bloop

Barramundi cod (I think)

Dinner

Bad coral trout picture

Mmmmm Orion Lure

Big bluefin trev

Tight stick on the t-curve GT Special

Nice red bass

GT

Two fish one lure

Onboard tackle store

Nice longy

Red emperor

Awesome reef

Christian tight at the front cage of Tight Stick

Gabriel GT

James and a nice sharkie

James and a little GT he caught all on his own, trolling

GT

Two fish one lure, again

Spaniard

Ummmm, GT

Feeding time at the boat

Red Dory

GT

GT

GT

GT

Spaniard

Chinaman

Red bass

GT

GT

Umm, I think you are hooked up bro

Gold spot

Long tom

Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: Bugatti Reef, 27 August to 2 September
September 10, 2010, 03:02:43 PM
More pics

Reef

Night GT

Spaniard

Reef

Longy

Tight on the 79 Reversal

Reef

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
September 10, 2010, 05:11:21 PM
Mate what a Awesome trip you had,heaps of fish caught whivh was good to see,Well done man...... ;)

Mark Armistead

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
September 10, 2010, 06:12:55 PM
Some very stunning photos there.
looks like a lot of fun was had out there

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 10, 2010, 07:23:10 PM
Some great images there scott.

Gotta love the variety on offer out there. 8)

Pete

Yaniv Adler

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 13, 2010, 05:43:56 PM
nice pics awsome!!!!!  ;)

Alex Jordan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
September 15, 2010, 06:15:11 AM
Some awesome clear pics there - saving up for a Nomad trip for next year already!

Andrew Korecki

September 15, 2010, 08:40:17 AM
Hi Scott,

Nice report.  I am already thinking about the next trip and went in with Greg (he was up from Melbourne) to the Nomad office to discuss on Monday morning!  Unfortunately their tackle shop is also there, so like a GT to a popper, I had to take a few home.  8)

Catch you on the next one,

Andrew.

Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
September 15, 2010, 10:08:00 AM
Hey Andrew, good stuff mate....I actually have taken up one of the spots to help out a group that had booked the whole boat for Bligh Reef but then had a few people drop out, so I am off to Bligh on 24 September!

Living the dream.

Hope to catch up with you guys again for sure

Cheers
Scott

Yaniv Adler

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 15, 2010, 10:44:53 AM
awesome trip !!!!!