Steven Kakonyi

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Jigwrex S508
September 10, 2010, 11:39:14 AM
Just wondering what everyone thought of the shimano Jigwrex S508?

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Jigwrex S508
September 10, 2010, 11:50:19 AM
It is as stiff as stiff gets and a tough rod to use IMHO.

If you want to buy a Jigwrex, I would recommend the PE6 S526 and not the PE8 508. I have a 526 which regularly goes in the bag as a back up rod to more "elegant" options, and it does the job very efficiently. I have used this rod loaded with PE8 and 500 gram jigs without issue.

The whole Jigwrex range is very good value for money for sure.

Chris Webster

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
September 10, 2010, 12:23:08 PM
Hi Steven,

Both Jigwrex's are great entry level rods but as Mark Harris stated, they are very different nor are they they most 'elegant' rods on the market.

When selecting a rod, there are many things to consider such as:

- What you will be targeting with it, or catching with it to be more positive;
- Your own personal dimensions (i.e. can you comfortably fish a broom stick);
- What strength of line you will be using; to name a few.

These are all very personal answers so you need to answer these for yourself.

As a general rule, in Sydney (if your in Sydney as i am), for every day jigging, the PE6 S526 is more that adequate though you may like to carry a PE8 S508 as a go to if the fish are bigger on the day.

For the price, it is my opinion that you will not get better than the Jigwrex from an off-the-shelf rod.

To remain subjective, a point i do not like about the Jigwrex is that it has a very long butt section but given that it is in fact a split butt configuration, any good rod builder can shorten it for you so it is customisable in a manner.

In summary, they are good rods. As i said, i would use the 526 more but i am still very comfortable with the the 508.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Mark Gwynne

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
September 10, 2010, 01:52:52 PM
I got rid of mine in favour of the cheaper T curve deep jig 400. A much better rod IMO and I'm much happier with it. Also agree on the lenght of the butt section, far too long. If you were to shorten it you would end up with a pretty short rod overall.

Mario Benedict

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 10, 2010, 11:30:05 PM
it's one hell of a stiff rod !
I had one but not for long and sold it. I called it the broomstick
It's very tiring to jig with it IMO.

I would save up and get a better rod if I were you

Eriko Susanto

November 10, 2010, 12:02:23 AM
I have 526 & 508 , both good rod and valuable , for 300gr  and up jig pick the 508, for 200-400 gr jig & short stroke better use the 526 .

Craig Maree

• Red Bass
  • Release the GT
  • Liked:
November 14, 2010, 07:42:18 PM
I have the 400g S526 Jigwrex and have landed some good GT's and a few big Doggies with it - one doggie of 1.78m

The rod has amazing pulling power but due to it being heavier makes jigging rather tiring - in my opinion excellent value for money
Atoll Hunter GT Popping
www.facebook.com/atollhunter

Narc

November 18, 2010, 05:06:40 PM

If you want to buy a Jigwrex, I would recommend the PE6 S526 and not the PE8 508. I have a 526 which regularly goes in the bag as a back up rod to more "elegant" options, and it does the job very efficiently. I have used this rod loaded with PE8 and 500 gram jigs without issue.

;D ;D
You must have lost your cool!
Now you dont own one anymore!!
 :P

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 18, 2010, 05:28:34 PM

;D ;D
You must have lost your cool!
Now you dont own one anymore!!
 :P

Pah!  Someone  ;) busted me!  Rather like the S526... busted.  :'(

All my fault actually, no blame on the rod at all. Fishing that rod with a SW20000 on almost full lock, 500 gram jigs in a raging current, maniac Doggies causing chaos, and a tired old angler who could not get around the back of the boat fast enough....... all equals rod explosion.

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 06:04:04 PM by Mark Harris

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
November 20, 2010, 03:34:54 PM
I have the 400g S526 Jigwrex and have landed some good GT's and a few big Doggies with it - one doggie of 1.78m

The rod has amazing pulling power but due to it being heavier makes jigging rather tiring - in my opinion excellent value for money

That's a sweet Dog man - where did you catch him?

Damian Fantozzi

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 22, 2010, 08:54:45 PM
they are going for 250 at a non-sponsor online shop at the moment

Henry Sung

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 22, 2010, 10:52:27 PM
I myself use Jigwrex S526, the previous model. Satisfied with it, value for money. Some of my friends said the previous model is stronger and more durable.  Just a thought.

Craig Maree

• Red Bass
  • Release the GT
  • Liked:
October 12, 2011, 04:12:37 AM

That's a sweet Dog man - where did you catch him?

Hi Luke thanks and sorry for the very late reply but I did not look back at this topic until now while researching info on jigging for doggies.

I was lucky enough to get this Doggie in the Seychelles, the fight was the most brutal experience ever and I consider myself lucky and privileged to have landed such a specimen.  The doggie fishing is crazy and got cleaned up many times on jig.  I managed to get some nice fish on stickbaits too.   

I am heading back to the Seychelles in two weeks time and can only hope to hook some dogs again.

I have invested in some Smith Rods the AMJ52EX for my Stella 20000 but am thinking of tacking along the Jigwrex as backup as I do not know how the rod did not explode during the fight, if I did not straight stick the fish I think it would have.

For interest I have attached a photo of what the jig ended up looking like.   

Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 04:23:59 AM by Craig Maree
Atoll Hunter GT Popping
www.facebook.com/atollhunter

Marko Pekic

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 18, 2011, 11:31:00 AM
hahaha daymm what a messs. Well and truly retiredd.
When x meets y

Ben Thomson

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 24, 2011, 06:08:33 PM
That jig is a mess!!