Mark Gwynne

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New rod - Sumurai NV8
September 13, 2010, 10:20:44 PM
Got my first custom built rod recently. It's a Samurai NV8 blank rated 8-10 kilos and 7 foot long. It's perfectly suited to 30lb braid which is what I got it for. It's mated up to a Shimano Stella 5000 SW with 30lb Whiplash.
I wanted a good spinning set up for chasing Tuna along with the other types of fishing I do. I just couldn't find a factory rod that suited what I wanted. This one is 100% Carbon.

Anyway first trip out and we were on the way to our fishing grounds when we came across a school of Nortern Bluefin Tuna. My brother allowed me 3 casts and I managed 2 Blueys, one on the first cast! To say I was stoked was an understatement! What a way to christen the new rod, getting the very target fish I got it built for.
Another km out we hit a school of Mackerel Tuan so I was allowed 3 more casts and got 2 Mack Tuna for my efforts. Lucky my brotehr was teh skipper as I would have spent all day catching Tuna, and loving it.

I landed a 10 kilo plus Barracuda and even risked bottom bashing later on and nabbed a beautiful Coral Trout.

I'm so impressed I've ordered the NV9 model for 50lb braid. I'll mate it up to a Shimano Twinpower 10000 FC. Looking forward to christening this one!

By the way I really like the Alps VX guides I got for this. The frame is marine grade (SS316) Stainless and the ring is Titanium Nitride coated Zirconia. It's harder than Alconite so it's not just for looks.

Enjoy the pics, a pity the camera was on Black and White for the first few lol!

Vasko Dimoski

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: New rod - Sumurai NV8
September 13, 2010, 10:40:12 PM
 ;)Great rod blank nv8 love mine use mine for snapper fishing good catch for nv8 mate would have really tested the rod

Clay Hilbert

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 16, 2010, 02:08:58 AM
Thats sounds pretty impressive. Where did you get the blanks from and do samurai make heavy blanks up to p.e 8-10?

Mark Gwynne

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
September 16, 2010, 10:32:40 PM
I got the blank off Paul himself who made the rod. Frogleys offshore is the Australian distributor of Fuji products who sell the Samurai blanks. They are distributors so you would have to go through a rod builder like Paul to get the blank itself. PM me if you want his details (not sure if I'm allowed to give out email addresses and phone numbers?), he may even jump on the forum and introduce himself.
You can check out the blanks on the Frogleys/Fuji Australia website but the short answer is yes they do make a PE 8 to 10 rod but only in jig form. It would either be the NV10 or even 12 for such heavy work. I've seen the NV 10 blank and although it is rated at 24kg I reckon that's conservative as it is very strong.

Here's hoping they bring out a long popper rod in this class soon... or then again maybe not as I'll be another 500 bucks down!!

Paul Herron

September 18, 2010, 01:47:17 PM
Hi I'm Paul the Rod Builder Mark refers to. I'd be quiet happy to answer any questions you guys have on Rod Blanks of various companies have available and any type of fit out, guides, reel seats etc.
I have been building Rods full time for nearly 20yrs now. I've caught a 48kg Spanish Mack on a 24-37kg United Composites Blank any many big GT's up to 50kg. Also if you want to know how to modify your reels for performance just ask.