Rod Coleman

Bristol [no-name] knot
September 15, 2010, 09:36:20 PM
G'day Fellas. I just joined this awsome forum after reading through some of the posts. I was reading Luke Wyrsta's reference to the Bristol or no-name knot. Not being familiar with it I jumped on youtube . The demo knot tied there is the quickest and simplest knot I've ever seen. I tried it a few times and broke the brade 3 inches from the knot.
 It seems too simple to be true, Is it a commonly used Knot? Obviously if Luke recomends it then it probaly dosn't come loose with repeated casting; Is this the case???
Rodda.

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Bristol [no-name] knot
September 16, 2010, 04:51:47 AM
I have used this knot before and have moved on. I found it came undone, especially when tying with hard fluro carbon leader (softer leader might work better).
I think there is a similar knot known in the marlin game called the Cairns quickie.
This is one knot you do not want to cast through guides in my opinion.
Hope that helps Rod.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
September 16, 2010, 08:31:47 AM
I use the bristol on really light tackle but won't use it for heavier applications. The knot works fine if you use soft leader material and wet it. The knot really needs to bite it for it to work properly. As Warwick said, don't use it with fluoro as that is just asking for trouble.

It's a knot that may look easy to tie but there is a very, very fine line between between perfection and disaster with this knot.

From my understanding, it is the same knot as the Cairns quickie.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Rod Coleman

September 16, 2010, 08:49:56 AM
 Thanks for the replies Warrick & Brandon.
 My understanding Brandon is that it's different to the Cairns quickie. I have to leave shortly for a few days but will re check on Cairns quickie when I get back.
Rodda