Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • DARK CONTINENT DARKSTAR RIDER
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
SOme more GT Art...
September 17, 2010, 06:47:46 PM
On a recent trip to Hellsgate Lodge in Mozambique, (www.hellsgatelodge.com )Lodge owner and Manager Earl Strydom had a couple paintings by reknowned South AFrican marine artist Craig Bertram SMith up on his office wall...
I'd been familiar with Craig's work for a long time, but noticed that Earl had an awesome pencil sketch of himself on the wall with Earl's best GT, a 53 kilo monster that Craig had done for him....
It was so brilliantly done, that on return to South Africa I got hold of Craig and checked into getting something done...
I've always been a massive fan of pencil sketch life drawing/art, so asked Craig about doing a pencil sketch of a shot of me with a GT taken in Cosmoledo Atoll in Seychelles on a trip with my late father in 2005.

This is what he sent me last night for approval:

The sketch is 42cm x 60 cm and I have to say I'm pretty damn stoked! Craig's work is truly magical, the man is talented beyond belief.
check out his website, http://www.craigbertramsmith.co.za/Index.htm

As you can see he's a wizard in both colour and sketches... if anyone is interested in his work, or a commision, drop me a mail, I'll see if I can maybe get a deal going for GTpopping members...

Cheers
Andre
To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth...

Mario Benedict

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: SOme more GT Art...
September 18, 2010, 08:33:05 PM
that's freakin awesome !!! how much does he charge for something like that ?

Geoff Volter

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
September 19, 2010, 08:33:30 AM
x2!!

It looks like the real thing

David Noble

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
September 20, 2010, 07:11:57 AM
Incredible artwork, what a talent! 
Thanks for sharing...

Cheers David

Josh Morrison

September 20, 2010, 11:48:23 AM
That is some outstanding talent!.

Nice one Andre!

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 20, 2010, 06:36:27 PM
That is a superb picture. 8)

Pete

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • If it moves......cast at it!
  • Liked:
September 20, 2010, 08:24:50 PM
That really is something special Andre, I'd be proud to have that hanging on my wall - so much more personal and meaningful than a cast from a dead fish!

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
September 20, 2010, 09:41:05 PM
Thats a nice peice of art man.. ;)

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 21, 2010, 07:47:32 AM
Magical certainly fits the bill Andre, looks unreal as my Desktop wallpaper [no copyright I hope] ;D
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Angus Hulme

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
September 21, 2010, 10:18:24 AM
Craig is clearly a very talented individual. Andre, you should be pretty happy with that piece. Also, I sent you a PM with a few questions mate

Cheers
Angus

Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
September 27, 2010, 06:31:06 PM
Hey guys,

Many thanks for all the comments and the PM's, apologies for not getting back to you guys, I've been on the road between Ethiopia, Sweden and London, and only finally getting back into South Africa on Saturday.... damn good to be home!!!

Guys a few questions answered quickly... I still need to chat to Craig about some details, but a rough cost break down below:

42cm x 60cm Pencil Sketch
Cost: R 3800 ( approx $550 AUD ) without framing/R 4500 ( approx $660 AUD ) with framing
Turn around time is approx 2 - 3 weeks on a sketch...

So, they aren't cheap, but you are commisioning an extremely spectacular and unique piece of art, capturing a pretty special moment in time....
My piece was pretty much a replica of the image I sent Craig... unfortunately I don't have a bunch of GT images that Craig could "meld" together into one, but he certainly can do this for you if you have a few images....

A few guys have expressed interest in getting something done, so let me chat to Craig and I'll see if I can get some kind of deal going... iof you guys are interested, please drop me a PM or a mail on [email protected] and I can see how many we can get together, and this way approach Craig with a number of sorts..

Cheers
Dre

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
September 27, 2010, 06:50:11 PM
Mate to be honest with you,for the price I rekon its pretty good,top job and I'm willing to pay,I'm gettin 2 done from him so far,trip is comin up for me around the corner so may get another lot of great pics to choose from..

Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
October 07, 2010, 07:46:28 PM
Hey guys,

A quick update, the original sketch arrived today, can't explain how stoked I am and how amazing it is to see it in person!!!

Angus - Mate, a 1000 apologies, I know I owe you a PM!!! Sorry bud, been manic, will defintely get back to ya!!  ;)

Angus Hulme

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
October 07, 2010, 08:58:09 PM
Angus - Mate, a 1000 apologies, I know I owe you a PM!!! Sorry bud, been manic, will defintely get back to ya!!  ;)

no apologies required Andre, no pressure at all.

Oh yeah, that illo looks very very cool!

Aaron Concord

October 07, 2010, 09:38:00 PM
Andre,

I remember the original photo......it was an awesome shot in itself!

This is an artwork.......it would be a shame to call it a sketch! Ever!

Thanks for sharing mate,

Aaron.