Mark Armistead

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
classic footage
September 21, 2010, 07:53:07 AM
On Any Sunday - Tauranga Kingfish Fishing New Zealand

Hi guys here is a link to some footage shot on a recent trip.
Easy to why we are so excited about chasing kings this way
Enjoy

Mario Benedict

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: classic footage
September 21, 2010, 08:48:36 AM
Great footage !!
what was that broken rod at the end ?

What are the best months for these surface kings Mark ?

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 21, 2010, 10:14:16 AM
mmm a trip over there soon could be on the way for me.

Pete

David Noble

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
September 21, 2010, 02:23:26 PM
The impressive thing is, that was all filmed in just 1 day!
Maybe we were just lucky  ;)  Hope to get back again to find out...

I see why you moved there to live Mark.  :)

Cheers David

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 21, 2010, 02:29:08 PM
Fantastic stuff. Top water fishing for kingfish seems like a lot of fun and will surely grow.

Bertrand Loyeung

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 21, 2010, 08:31:18 PM
what will be the tackle requirements for those fish? will a saltiga 4500 with pe4 do the job?

cheers
bertrand

Mark Armistead

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
September 21, 2010, 08:50:34 PM
Hi guys
heres a few answers to a couple of the questions.

A lot of this type of fishing is still in its infancy so we are really learning a lot as we go. This is not really  a new thing for kingfish but what is new is some of the techniques and lures available to us here in NZ. A few visits form guys like Konishi and Mogi to solely chase kings on surface lures has opened a lot of eyes about how to fish the lures to help catch lots of fish and also some really big fish.

We seem to get a couple of different runs of fish anytime from August through to December we get a run of pre spawn fish that co incides with masses of mackerel and squid. The last few years we have nailed loads of fish on jigs at this time but this year the surface action at that time was nothing short of insane.
From December onwards the fish move in closer and start to inhabit the shallow reef areas, this is when things get interesting. huge kings smashing surface lures in 5 to 10 metres of water is pretty insane stuff. The fish will stay on these shallow reefs and also in the inshore harbours until around April. They then move a bit deeper and become more of a jigging proposition, i am sure there will be opportunities for huge fish through June and July but this is something we still need to pursue a bit harder.

As for gear i am sorry your PE 4 outfit may be a little undergunned. It will do OK for the August to December run of fish as they are often in open water  but up in the shallow stuff you want to be armed with something a bit bigger.

I find anything from PE6 to PE 10 will do the job but PE 8is really the best way to go.
Hope this helps a bit, feel free to ask more questions, thsi is a type of fishing i am extremely passionate about so i am keen to see others getting interested.

Mario Benedict

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 21, 2010, 10:33:49 PM
If only the surface kings in sydney harbour get that big . Thanks for the answers Mark i'll have to convince the missus to get over to NZ again

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
September 22, 2010, 09:15:59 AM
If only the surface kings in sydney harbour get that big . Thanks for the answers Mark i'll have to convince the missus to get over to NZ again

They do in JB ;)

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 23, 2010, 09:15:02 PM

I have seen 20kg plus kings inside the heads at Sydney harbour and I once saw three 15kg plus kings in parsley bay.
They are there......trouble is getting them to hit lures.
They love squid to much.

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
September 24, 2010, 10:07:11 AM
For sydney its a matter of time and persistance to get one on a popper or stick bait,a hand full of guys have done it a few times i have seen,myself kings to 8kg on poppers,busted off by some bigger fish but JB for big kings and only big kings thats for sure...

Mario Benedict

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 24, 2010, 12:24:41 PM
The smaller rats are usually faster than the hoodlums ,so far that's what i've been getting.even though i can see the bigger fish on the school
Can't wait to chase them around the markers again

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 24, 2010, 02:01:14 PM
For sydney its a matter of time and persistance to get one on a popper or stick bait,a hand full of guys have done it a few times i have seen,myself kings to 8kg on poppers,busted off by some bigger fish but JB for big kings and only big kings thats for sure...

There are millions of 'Rat'kings at JB.

I wouldnt say there are only big ones. ;D

Pete

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
November 28, 2010, 11:10:49 AM
at the moment thereare alot of rats,alot of people coming in going crazy for top water lures for kings off boats and rocks..

Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
November 29, 2010, 09:21:25 AM
Some insane footage of those kingies chasing the lures

Why have you done this to me David? Why are there so many trips and so little money and time??