Nomad Sportfishing

• Past Sponsor
  • Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Bligh Reef 4 Oct 2010
October 05, 2010, 09:41:35 AM
Nick:- Today started off a little better than yesterday for sure. We were on the move for some GTs and we managed to find a point where there were a few fish. Our first fish managed to beat us in the reef, but a few minutes later we had a nice double hook up and managed to get both fish out. Bill who managed to catch the next fish was over the moon with his first GT ever, always nice to see that. As the morning went on we had action happening at a constant pace with spanish missiles on the edge and trout and red bass in the shallows. Back to the boat for lunch and recharge. Next Bill and the boys were ready to take on a Doggie so we headed up north and started trolling in the channel, within 5 minutes we had hooked up- a small doggie around 12 kilos - 10 minutes later the reel screamed off again, as I ran back and put the 30 wide onto sunset at close to 30 kilos of drag it just sped up.
Unfortunately we lost that fish but it was decent. The rest of the arvo was pretty good with another GT, and Spanish turning up as well as a nice Job Fish.

Alex- Today the reefies came with their game face on. Big angry trout, red bass and maori wrasse that took a liking to our lures and decided to keep them. Some standouts were a couple of 12kg plus trout, 7 red bass from 7 casts and some magnificent bust offs. Some of the reefies today were monsters, we had one 50cm shark mackerel on the line then a monster trout came in and tried to eat it, I’m guessing the trout would have weighed about 30-35kg easy. The other big fish encounters were with ole blue face, the maori wrasse. We had a smallish red bass on, about 2-3kg and I was telling the guys to wind faster and keep it out of the bommie. That was until I realised the bommie was chasing the red bass. Right under the boat a huge maori wrasse tried to vacuum the red bass through its huge set of blubber lips. We had another few wrasse encounters with 2 more bust offs and one nice one landed of about 12kg. A good day, plenty of action and a lighter tackle kit for me.

Chris:- Today the plan was to fish in the shallows for most of the day to keep the guys out of the wind as much as possible. We started off fishing pretty much next to the mother ship and I was going to fish my way down south to the next anchorage. We had a great session in the shallows today catching GTs, blue fin travelley, jobfish, maori wrasse, red bass, all different types of coral trout to about 3-4kg, shark mackerel. We had so many bust offs it just was funny. But finished off the day nicely with a nice sized maori wrasse.

Damon:- An excellent day's fishing. We landed about 35 fish in the shallows casting lures, mostly red bass, trout and emperor. We lost 26 lures between 3 anglers and had some massive fish hooked up and lost. A 40kg maori wrasse came to the side of the boat before burying us in the reef, we also had a couple of nice GTs landed, and lost a big 35kg GT on a point on the outgoing tide. The wind was howling again, but the proliferation of fish and hot action in the shallows meant a great day for everyone.   

Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: Bligh Reef 4 Oct 2010
October 05, 2010, 11:15:38 AM
If I read about any more Maori Wrasse I may be physically ill.....  :'(

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
October 05, 2010, 02:31:42 PM

Maori Wrasse..Fight hard..

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 05, 2010, 04:49:54 PM
not really - if you break the first run, you should have it.

If it swims; I want to catch it!

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 05, 2010, 11:05:03 PM
[/quote]

Have you managed to land one before Nathan..?...I really want to catch one.

Pete