Anthony Robinson

Samoa and Fiji
October 20, 2010, 09:12:42 AM
Hey everyone

I am currently living in Samoa for 12 months as part of an Australian Volunteer program. I have been here about 5 months and have managed a few nice fish but not as many as I would like. There are some really awesome land based spots on both the main island of Samoa (Upulo and Savai'i) that i have popped but I haven't had much luck so far. I have only landed one GT of about 8-9 kg's, though it went pretty hard on 20lb I would love to get into some bigger ones on my heavier gear. There are a couple of spots that I would love to explore but charters can be expensive and it would be great to share the cost with fellow Gt enthusiast if there are any out there in Samoa. If any one is interested give me a msg or if anyone has caught GT's in Samoa I would very much appreciate a few tips on locations and charter companies etc etc.

Also I am heading over to Fiji for about 10days in February next year. I know a lot of you guys have fished the Islands of Fiji, where would you recommend I go for a couple of days popping for GT's and are there any reasonably priced charter companies that anyone would recommend to me. I am traveling over with a mate that isn't into fishing so It would be great to join in with any locals or fellow GT fisherman if you are around in late February. I have all my own gear.

Cheers

Anthony

David Noble

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Samoa and Fiji
October 20, 2010, 10:22:04 AM
Hi Anthony,

Can't offer much as far as Samoa goes.  I've fished there (south side of Upolu) but the group I was with was only after pelagics.  There are some good looking areas with serious drop offs but as you know, Samoa is a seamount and doesn't have the vast lagoon and reef systems that GT"s thrive on as seen in New Cal, Fiji.  In Samoa, I'd turn my attention to what jigging options you can create, I don't know of anyone doing this over there.

Fiji in Feb, my advice would be to offset costs and join a group, fish 4 days or so. It's peak season for surface fishing that time of year and you'd stand a good shot at the kind of GT's you're after.  A few good options around.

Cheers David