Angus Hulme

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Sebile Lures
October 07, 2010, 12:50:10 PM
Anyone had on-water experience with these interesting looking creations?

It appears there are a wide range of models available, but which models are of particular interest to GT anglers?

I have read a bit about them, but most of it has been marketing-related, so I'm really just looking for impartial opinions from anglers who've actually used them.

Cheers
Angus

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: Sebile Lures
October 07, 2010, 01:45:57 PM
I used the magic swimmer the other weekend fishing off the rocks for kings with it. Cant say that I was too impressed. Hard to get that nice swimming action as in the video when the water is not flat.

But the other models like the shad and poppers may be more relevant for GTs.

Angus Hulme

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
October 07, 2010, 01:56:02 PM
Thanks Andrew.

I wondered if the shad shaped stickbait might be the most suitable for GTs, and I also wondered if there might be some strength/durability issues with the jointed 'magic swimmer' lure, when dealing with the massive pressures associated with heavy popping for GTs or kings.

Interested to hear any further info.

Ta
Angus

Dave Foyle

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 07, 2010, 08:10:11 PM
Hi Angus,

Used a few of these lures last year for GT's (Jewell Reff with Nomad).

The poppers are nicely built and very strong...but need to be worked slowly (pop and a big stop) .  I didn't find them to be the best in a big wave.....and they don't like being given a big rip or worked too fast. 

The stick baits (stick shads) seemed pretty reasonable.  Strongly made with a decent action.

The magic swimmer in the fast sink version is a decent lure also.  Worked nicely even when the weather was rough.  I reckon this lure could  be worth a look when the fish are turning away from conventional presentations.  Needs to be rigged with an assist from the top of the lure (like a jig).  I think the Nomad guys run two hooks baker style with two split rings and a swivel to get the hooks a couple of inches back from the head.  The hook hangers / joints on the lure definitely wouldn't cope with a GT !

Tight lines    Dave

Angus Hulme

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
October 07, 2010, 08:51:10 PM
Great info, thanks Dave.

Did you think the stick shads need any special rigging, ie.. would baker rigged single hooks on the belly and a single on the tail work OK? From some smallish pics I've seen, that appeared to be how those lures were set up, but I wouldn't really know for sure.

Cheers

Dave Foyle

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 11, 2010, 12:00:56 AM
Hi Angus,

Two trebles will work or bakers on the belly and a single on the tail would be fine depending on your preference !

Cheers   Dave