Nomad Sportfishing

• Past Sponsor
  • Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Bligh Reef 11 October 2010
October 12, 2010, 12:49:12 PM
Nick:- The wind has been really good to us the last few days and it looks like it is going to stay like that which is pretty promising. It has really been a pleasure not waking up to white caps rolling across the ocean. I decided to head north today to a spot where we managed to hook a few doggies two weeks ago, when we dropped our jigs down we managed to land a few nice cod and job fish as well as something we couldn’t stop. It was nearing the end of the run in so we decided to start trolling again and hopefully pick up a doggie, with a 240mm Sebile Koolie Minnow LL prototype on one rod and the other a Nomad Dogtooth 200g, about 10 mins later the rod with the dogtooth went away and there was an eruption behind the boat with a nice 50 -60 kilo Saily dancing away, unfortunately after about 2 or three minutes she managed to throw the hooks much to our disappointment, but was still great to see. As the tide started to run out we managed to get stuck into some GTs and various other species. Bring on the dogs tomorrow.....

Peter:  Today we started off chasing doggies out the front. The weather was pleasant out there in the dories. We started of jigging and managed to get a few trout and a large cod but still no sign of a dogtooth so we went for a troll with deep diving minnows and we finally got our chance with one that was a lot larger in size then first intended. It was a drawn out fight seeing the silver on the bottom of the spool twice after gaining all the line back first time. It was when we had it turned and had colour near the boat that the hooks pulled. The rest of the day was spent on the poppers it wasn’t quite the day like the other day but there were still plenty of fish brought on board in the shallows another great day’s fishing and fantastic day’s weather!!!

Chris:- Well the plan for today was to fish the outside edge of the reef dropping jigs and large soft plastics to try our luck on some doggies for the remainder of the incoming tide. We hit a point on the edge of the reef first drop down a nice 22kg GT to start off the day which put on a tremendous fight. Caught a few other species of fish which included nice sized trout and job fish. Had a few nice hits which I think were doggies but who knows. As the tide began to start pushing out I made my way down south to play in the shallows. Within a few casts into the shallows a nice pack attack of GTs managing to pull out 2 of around the 10kg mark. Plenty of trout, red bass, barracuda, emperors, gold spot trevally were the main catches in the shallows today. As it was now the afternoon I fished the last reef just south of the mother ship. As Paul casted his rooster popper 47g on the edge of the shallows a massive explosion erupted and we were on. A monster GT hit us and took us on a chase in the shallows after 10 minutes we got him about and he was a nice 42kg fish. A nice one to finish off the day...

Glanville: Well today started off better than words in the ordinary dictionary can describe, first of all waking up to a calm ocean was already more than I bargained for then the fishing began, we trolled on the outside edge in hope of snagging a decent doggie and we had been going for an hour or so with not much success until I came around this one corner to find a perfect pressure edge and heaps of current flowing over a submerged shoal...it had to be game time as the thought went through my mind the reel went away and an 8kg jobfish was brought to the side, the lures were deployed and it wasn’t five minutes and once again the alarm sounded this time something half acceptable, but luck wasn’t on our side and we managed to get a doggie head back...the fish we were after were indeed evident I found a decent showing of bait and decided to drop some jigs and we did a drift with no luck put the lures back and as I clicked over the reel it screamed away and after a quick tussle we boated a doggie of around 40kg excitement all round and the lures were set free to swim, we trolled around for about another half an hour on some seriously sexy ground before hooking a mac tuna on the stick bait, it was soon running for its life as the 150lb braid cut through the water and as if a car fell from the sky it was obliterated and the fight was on screaming reel, and boat chasing the fish down hard and it was an exciting few minutes before an 80kg doggie was hauled over the side, I was that excited I could barley set the lures out I was shaking so much....the rest of the day was great on the flats and we boated 2 decent maori wrasse 4 GTs and a host of other fish on the flats an exceptional day of fishing and to explain the excitement as you see a beast of a fish like that completely destroy a 4kg mac tuna is something on its own....