Steven Kakonyi

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hey,
I was just wondering which of these two rods is able to  handle heavier PE the shimano T-curve GT special or Diawa saltiga GT 86. I am wanting a rod that  I can throw chuggers around 180g  and reading a few other threads am under the belief that the GT special would be able to handle PE 10  however i like the extra length of the GT 86  but am unsure of its capabilities. Also where would the Hots Gipang 83 H  fall into this area
cheers,
Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 03:22:21 PM by Steven Kakonyi

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
no comparison - the T-Curve GT Special will handle the heavier PE and will have no problems throwing chuggers around 180g.
The GT86 is a good rod but in my opinion,is juts a bit too long for general applications. Sure, you'll cast longer with it but you will find its length unwieldy for general use. The Gipang 83H does not fall into the same category as the T-Curve. It would be more similar in load capacity to the GT86. Both of these rods would struggle with a 180g chugger.

All of that said the T-Curve is a bit of a beast. It's heavy and it is going to hurt. Be sure this is the rod you want.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

mark gaal

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Your right on the money Brandon, I took a couple of the T curves on my first popping trip and though casting was quite easy they struggle to work a decent size cup at all, stickbaits was easy and it would throw them a mile. Do yourself a favour and get a decent rod like a ripple fisher that's what I have done and should have done first off. As for the Daiwa, I hated the butt set up and crossed it off my list, have since grabbed an ultimo for stickbaiting. The t curve was good value for the money though, but I think you will be reaching for something better quite quickly, not much chop being unable to work chuggers after you have shelled out money for a trip due to the inadequacies of your gear.

Steven Kakonyi

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Thanks for the quick replies,
In terms of rods that are able to throw these larger poppers as well as lighter poppers and sticksbaits (approx 120g) and that are suited for a broad range of line class PE6-10 it would appear that the Ripple Fisher GT79H is the most recommended what are your opinions when comparing it to a Carpenter Discovery Journey DJ-83MH obviously the length may still be an issue.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Steven, again, very different rods and not really comparable. I'm not a big believer in the ranges which are quoted by some manufacturers. While I can accept a (say) PE8-10 recommendation, a PE6-10 is a bit of a stretch. Also if you're looking for a rod that will cast and work a big popper will but also handle a light stickbait, I'm sorry but I really don't think that rod exists.

The 79H is a significantly stronger rod than the Discovery Journey 83MH.

I don't think the 79H is the most recommended rod at all. I'd suggest you consider it (among others) if you wanted to fish PE10 and particularly wanted to work big cup mouthed chuggers of around 180g and upwards.

Steven Kakonyi

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
What would you suggest then Brandon, I am currently thinking is getting a shimano GT special for larger poppers as well as a second rod, that would be my primary rod, for mid sized poppers and stick baits, up to around 150g,  I would like that rod to be able to fish around the PE 8 mark as I am planning on using them both for fishing around New Caledonia.
Cheers steve

Chuen Fan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
The GT special would be able to work all the lure weights you have stated! It will also fish PE8-10, but not be able to work surface stickbaits as well as a dedicated stickbait rod like a RF Ultimo or Carp TBL.
AKA: Sunny

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Steve - I have sent you a PM. Might be easier to talk it through than stress my typing out!