Have you given it a swim yet??

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Ripple Fisher GT 78XH advice
October 17, 2010, 04:25:01 PM
not till Kenji makes a rod that won't break when I try to cast that monstrosity!!    ;D
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 17, 2010, 04:38:51 PM
I am scared even looking at those.

Mick Cunningham

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
October 17, 2010, 05:34:01 PM
comparison

Garua Kong, King Kong, Kong

That garrua kong would make a great trolling popper   :o

Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
October 17, 2010, 07:25:42 PM
And ye though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, except for the Garua Kong   :o

Chuen Fan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
October 17, 2010, 08:35:54 PM
On the float plane, Kai actually said to me that the Garua Kong is still too small for him to consider using in NC! The way he fishes with his GT whispering technique down pat, he'd only need to make a massive 1 cast a day and still get a monster class fish everyday! ::) ;D ;D
AKA: Sunny

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 17, 2010, 09:17:33 PM
this is an absolute classic!!      ;D

And ye though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, except for the Garua Kong   :o

Aaron Concord

October 17, 2010, 10:19:43 PM
Gaura Kong........Hell yeah baby!

Maybe I need to take one to my neurosugeon's visit in November to show the kind of lures we like to fish.
And to get a measurment in nanoseconds for the next colapse of my back from popping a lure that size.........I HATE having a bad back!  It reminds me of the things I am missing out on!
Bring on the old days when I could chug  a 230 HP tail or Bill Bug 200 for 6 hours straight :(

Scott,
Loved the quote too :)
Instant classic!

Brandon,
Who is this Kai chap??? 
I like the fact that he feels bigger lures are needed!

Crusty,
You should make a Bucket Kong for Gordon.  He'd fish it since he is in a class all his own when moving large objects!

Aaron.

Aaron Concord

October 17, 2010, 10:39:46 PM
Sorry to have hijacked the original post.

My impressions of the GT78XH is if you have bent up Patriot Design Black Mafia's, Carpenter SP78UHL's and STILL feel that you are not working the largest of the poppers in your collection efficiently, then have a good look at the GT78HX.......it will work the biggest production poppers around BUT it WILL not feel good on the angler after a protracted fight on heavy drag.
It needs heavy drag just to bend it!

DO you have access to bending the rods or casting the rods at all??
That would be mandatory I feel, just to get an idea of what kind of a mega stick it is, that's all.

Aaron.

Anthony Dillon

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 22, 2010, 10:27:47 PM
Guys,

many thanks for all the replies and advice. Gonna give it a try and decide but the picture is loud and clear. In response to one of the earlier replies I am 6'4" and slide in at a slim 140 kg's so the weight in the corner opposite the next Sumba GT  one might say is even. Looking forward to a response from Pak John Hambali or Kai if they are back from Rompin yet ??

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 22, 2010, 10:38:34 PM
about the only response you will get from Pak Jon on this will be to recommend a Carpenter!

Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • DARK CONTINENT DARKSTAR RIDER
  • Liked:
October 22, 2010, 10:54:09 PM
Anthony - I've got a Custom Metallic Blue brand new 78XH for sale if you need one mate.... The shiny blue will match your beloved Stella 10000FA's.... Rod is brand new mate, never fished, still got the plastic shrink on the grips...

Let me know if you keen bru..
Andre
andre(at)steel(dot)co(dot)za
To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth...

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 23, 2010, 02:59:39 AM
Guys,

many thanks for all the replies and advice. Gonna give it a try and decide but the picture is loud and clear. In response to one of the earlier replies I am 6'4" and slide in at a slim 140 kg's so the weight in the corner opposite the next Sumba GT  one might say is even. Looking forward to a response from Pak John Hambali or Kai if they are back from Rompin yet ??

Hi Bigman ,

I n Ky are in JKT , Rompin was not as good as last year due to way too many ikan bilis in the area , our lures were a pale comparison to the real thing but we still managed a total of 8 sailfishes by lures between the 8 of us , we even managed a baby black marlin around 30 kg by livebait , all were released except a lone tenggiri which Takai-san made sashimi in the evening along with some squids too . Photos are still in Ky's computer , will bring my hard disk to his hotel and download the images n videos . The Harrisons managed to bring some sailfish by lures too , so it's all quite fun despite the sailfish aren't too aggresive . We will return next year !

Regarding the rod , we are all Carpenter fans so you can't expect any of us have something to say about Ripple Fisher rod , sorry buddy .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Le Vi Hua

October 24, 2010, 10:28:49 PM
I have just purchased a Ripple GT 78XH after owning a GT 78 flex and loving it. But I feel quite scared now all 64kgs of me. Sounds like this Fiji trip in November is gonna hurt bad.

Kai Caiyang

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 24, 2010, 11:04:13 PM
Sabotage me especially when i seldom check-in to the forum :P

On the float plane, Kai actually said to me that the Garua Kong is still too small for him to consider using in NC! The way he fishes with his GT whispering technique down pat, he'd only need to make a massive 1 cast a day and still get a monster class fish everyday! ::) ;D ;D