Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
How to work this lure
March 17, 2007, 09:44:28 PM
I used the middle lure today..its one of those saltiga stickbaits. Its the sinking version.

But couldnt really work out the best way to use it. How do you guys work your stickbaits?

It was (as usual) a bit choppy off the rocks, and in the end I had to use a very slow retrieve to get it to swim. I didnt use a loop knot in the attach point and was wondering if that helped stifle the action. Im going to give it a go near my place where the water is calm to experiment a bit more with it. I think the lack of weight in them also makes it difficult.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: How to work this lure
March 18, 2007, 03:40:13 PM
Andrew, sinking stickbaits work well in rough conditions. They certainly work a lot better than the surface ones when its rough! What you want to do is let it sink and then dart it with a few short jerks of the rod tip and/or a few long pulls where you go from the rod pointing at the lure to pulling it to one side.

If you take the time to check out the action of one where you can actually see what the lure is doing, you will understand why it is that stickbaits are so successful. the really look like bait fish and you can quite replicate an injured fish quite easily.

if it is really choppy, let it sink longer, dart it (it will come back to the surface when you retrieve) and the let it sink again and just repeat it.

I primarily use bloody big stickbaits which I attach with a split ring but if I was fishing smaller ones, I would use a loop knot.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 18, 2007, 05:37:26 PM
cheers, will give that a try. I think I might have a play around in the local estuary (at a spot where I know kings visit too) and I will have more time to see what happens and its action minus the distraction of the waves. I did notice that it would dart around a bit . I do like the look of the lure so its just some practice with it to get used to it. Would like to find some stickbaits around the 80gram mark. The only one I have seen is the Orions.

Do they have the same action - you let them sink then get them darting under the surface?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 18, 2007, 06:52:51 PM
cheers, will give that a try. I think I might have a play around in the local estuary (at a spot where I know kings visit too) and I will have more time to see what happens and its action minus the distraction of the waves. I did notice that it would dart around a bit . I do like the look of the lure so its just some practice with it to get used to it. Would like to find some stickbaits around the 80gram mark. The only one I have seen is the Orions.

Do they have the same action - you let them sink then get them darting under the surface?

I'm not sure whch of the Orions you're referring to as the only one I use is the Bigfoot but then again, I've never seen a Bigfoot for sale locally nor have I seen one that weights 80grams. The ones I use are from the 140g to 170g mark (without hooks). In terms of how you work them, yes, you let them sink and then you dart them.

I really like the Orions but my favourite stickie is (unfortunately) the Smith Runboh. It is unfortunate in the sense that Smith have stopped making them which is a real damn shame as it is an amazing stickie. The only down side is they tend to work better in calm conditions but if you use a couple of heavy trebles, you can get them to sink. If you give these plenty of time to sink before working them slowly, they're deadly.

Just remember that when you dart them with a stop/start action that the lure will come back to the surface, you then let it sink again before starting again. if you don't give it the opportunity to sink, it is very easy to break the surface which then compromises the action of the lure.

Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 09:37:46 PM by Luke Wyrsta

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 18, 2007, 08:54:09 PM
These are the orions I was referring too.They are bigfoots but also come in the smaller size.

http://www.caranx.net/shop.htm

Go to swimming plugs form the left menu, then its the 4th last ones.I was thinking the blue ones would be good around here for what I would be doing when chasing kings.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 18, 2007, 09:02:54 PM
so they come in  a mini-version too!! The only thing is getting them over is really expensive, Andrew. On top of the fact that they are something like 38 euro each, the postage from that part of the world is hideous. Now I dn't mind spending that on a really big GT lure but to get a small one to fish for other fish...........

I'll be putting in an order direct with Eric Le Guyader again soon so if you like, I can get them then. At least that way the postage will be less severe.
Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 09:36:15 PM by Luke Wyrsta

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 18, 2007, 09:17:15 PM
Yeah, I did the currency conversion and they work out to $50AUS. I had emailed him earlier this year and Nicola said if I get 2, its free postage. Else, we can put in a combined order and split the postage.

Im still saving for a big GT trip, but until then, I use the same gear or close to it and lures for chasing kingfish. Good fights, plenty of bustoffs too. All adds up to good practice...and credit card bills  !

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 18, 2007, 10:21:27 PM
Andrew - is he is offering you free postage, grab them!