Mark Gwynne

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Quantum Energy
October 25, 2010, 09:51:56 PM
I'm interested in getting one of these reels for the wife. Being for her I was looking at the Titanium deposition one as it has pretty rainbow colours lol!!

How do these compare with the 'normal' energies? Are they as corrosion resistant as they say? She'll be using them in open boats in the salt water so it's going to get wet. I'm looking at a size 40 to put 20 or 30 lb braid on it.

Thanks, Mark.

Aaron Concord

Re: Quantum Energy
October 26, 2010, 07:59:54 PM
Mark,

I haven't seen a lot on this forum about the use of the Quantum reels.

Is your wife going to use it for light popping or just general salt water work??

If it is to be used for popping, a high 5.5:1 or better gear ratio, instant anti reverse and a decent front drag would be the minimum I would be looking at.

Corrosion resistant bearings and a dual oscillation line-lay system pretty much cover all boxes that need to be ticked in my opinion, even for the relatively light 20-30lb braid you are looking at putting on it.  For 20-30lb work there is a pretty good selection of reels you can choose from without braking the bank budget.

Over here in Australia, there is a strong Daiwa and Shimano following, mainly due to quality, service and models that suit this type of fishing, therefore there may not be too many replies regarding the Quantum brand.

Cheers

Aaron.

Mark Gwynne

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
October 26, 2010, 10:43:02 PM
Thanks Aaron. I actually have already bought her a Twinpower 5000 SW as her go to set up. This will be more her general use reel, hence the big price cut on it!! Plus she really likes the colour. Having said that I'm not going to get it if it corrodes pretty quickly.

Kim Jones

October 27, 2010, 10:53:36 AM
Hi Mark,

It's not the same reel but last summer we won some Marquis overheads from the same manufacturer in a bill fishing comp. I have used these reels mainly on small black marlin and found they were excellent quality reels. If the rest of the range is the same quality I would not hesitate to try them.

Cheers,

Kim

Aaron Concord

October 27, 2010, 09:54:33 PM
Mark,

After having spent a while in fishing retail, I know all about women and their colour wants.... ie:I want the pink one because its pretty.

I have always seen the choices in colours in all tackle as needs to me ie: I need that gold reel darling or I will die......stuff like that :)

Women are far more melodramatic  (hope you don't read the forum secrectly Marie!) when wanting colours to suit their fishing!

Cheers

Aaron.