Chris Webster

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Braid for Jigging..........
October 03, 2010, 09:10:42 AM
Hi Guys,

I am about to re-spool with 50lb and rather that use the same braid as usual, thought i might see what others are using.

What do you consider to be the best 50lb jigging braid.

Cheers,

Chris

Simon Thomas

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: Braid for Jigging..........
October 03, 2010, 11:02:18 AM
Chris,

I use YGK UltraJigMan PE#3 47lb and really like it.  It is really thin which I like.  I'm certain that any other quality 8 ply braid in the same size from the major brands would be great too.  From what I've heard alot of them are the same with only different branding......

Note that I haven't many other brands so it is a reasonably biased view.  I chose this one as I found it was good value for money.

Cheers,
Simon

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • If it moves......cast at it!
  • Liked:
October 03, 2010, 11:11:53 AM
YGK Jigman PE4 (62lb) for me, thinner than most 50lb braids - silky smooth and good knot strength!

Jamie Moir

October 04, 2010, 09:44:39 AM
Pretty happy with Daiwa Saltiga Boat Braid. It ticks all the buttons; 8ply, made in Japan, colour metered. I'm presently using the PE4/55lb and its about $275 landed for 1800m. The Paulus Line Testing Site shows it breaking at about 68lb, so you have a little up your sleeve too. Interestingly the varivas and ygk both broke a little under their ratings.

http://www.pcwi.com.au/fishing/4linetesting.htm

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 04, 2010, 01:01:52 PM
Varivas Avani BigOne is IMHO the best jigging braid on the market. If you are looking at 50lbs - the PE3 tests at 48 lbs and the PE4 at 64lbs - huge breaking strains compared to the diameter of the line.

My 2nd choice and quite a bit cheaper is YGK Jigman. 
Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 01:13:40 PM by Mark Harris

Mark Gwynne

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
October 11, 2010, 09:20:48 PM
I'm also looking at a possible change of braid in the future. I've been happy with the three major ones I use but was interested in a thinner one for better line capacity if possible.
How does Berkley Whiplash, Fins PRT and Jigman XP braid compare to the above? Is it worth a change? The Berkley whiplash is a very thin braid but maybe not as thin as the above?

Thanks, Mark.

Mario Benedict

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 11, 2010, 09:37:05 PM
+1 for the saltiga boat braid economical and pretty good. Never tried the varivas but they make top lines so it should be good.

Mack Carson

November 11, 2010, 03:47:24 AM
Hi. I use the Jigman for all my Barra reels. And TuffLine for most of my Jigging and popping.

Never had a problem with either.
1200yd spools from States (tuffline) and linked 100mtr Spools YGK from Japan.
Deeper water.
I use the Tuffline for loading spool and YGK for last 100mtrs for depth callibration
when jigging.
Works well for me.
and being an olod fart with no wages anymore. It helps my back pocket.
I did try Power Pro.  ONCE. then unloaded it and threw away.  Yukk.
Macka17