Jamie Moir

Re: Sounder Recommendations please
October 25, 2010, 11:08:37 PM
Can't really fault Raymarine, my A65 was  a good combo, I just think lowrance really stretch how far you can get with only 600W pretty well!

Ben Earl

October 26, 2010, 12:22:28 AM
yeah its a bit of a conundrum. The 620 i can get with a 600w Trans for about $820 or so delivered. The lower level JRC is about 1200 on sale but I havent really read too many good reports about them.
I am open to any brand really so long as it is good value and durable - you can forget about repairs out here. I was looking at the Lowrances that Peter recommended Hds 5 and from memory they were around $720, the benefit of course is the gps is included but then i would need anoth $150 for the maps card. The reviews are mixed too.
They are all over my budget but like i said if the value is there, I can go the extra. Will check the Raymarines and keep at it....  (brainslowlyfrying)

Sam Owen

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
October 27, 2010, 05:11:57 PM
Furuno. I had a lowrance then a friend was upgrading from the FCV-585 with 1kw. So i bought that (gettin installed cant wait to get back on the water) from him and he's gone to the 1120 with seperate 1 and 2kw transducers  :o

I think in terms of sounders in my experience is that you get wat u you pay for ie my $1500 lowrance that worked perfectly for snapper fishing and gave reasonable picture while jiggin to about 120m. Was virtually useless at picking up bait balls and sounding fish at trolling spd out wide.

AustralianAngling

October 27, 2010, 06:04:41 PM
Check out this site in US have purchased several units from them.

http://www.boatersland.com/lowfishfinders.html

Ben Earl

October 29, 2010, 11:22:05 AM
thanks for the link Steve, there are some good prices there.
Do you guys think there is value in getting a GPS/fishfinder combo (at a higher budget)? OR is it better to keep them separate? It seem like a good idea to me to have both in the one unit but from a practical standpoint Im not sure how user friendly it would be.

Based on the recommendations that I got here, I am looking at the Furuno 620, Raymarine A50D or lowrance HDS 5, all come in the $750 - 850 mark which is acceptable. I have heard nothing but good things about the Furuno (other than it is getting old) which leads me to favor it (other than no GPS), the Raymarine has some good commercial reviews (but I take them with a grain of salt) and the Lowrance gets mixed ratings but technically looks good.

I feel like I am over analyzing things a bit here but when you cant see one in action a certain leap of faith is required  :-\

Jamie Moir

October 29, 2010, 11:55:13 AM
Lowrance are considering implementing some dastardly evil shit with their units of late. That said, friends got a HDS10, aus card and tranny for within 10% of what the USA pricing was.

I've said my bit on a few brands, but really its holden v's ford, they all work and you buy the features you want, or the ones your friends like, or obey the latest misinformed horror story on the internet.

Ben Earl

October 29, 2010, 01:05:57 PM
Wow that geofencing is some tricky looking stuff  :o.

Stephen Polzin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
October 29, 2010, 10:48:17 PM
Do you guys think there is value in getting a GPS/fishfinder combo (at a higher budget)? OR is it better to keep them separate?

Based on the recommendations that I got here, I am looking at the Furuno 620, Raymarine A50D or lowrance HDS 5, all come in the $750 - 850 mark which is acceptable. technically looks good.

I think seperate is the way to go.  That way you can use a split-screen sounder showing bottom lock/zoom on the left and full depth on the right, while having a separate screen dedicated to map.  You can also muck around with your sounder settings without affecting the picture of the GPS (and vice versa).  I think you can do this on some of the bigger Lowrances but not in your budget. 

Second point, I'd go the Furuno but I'm biased.  The HDS5 is not even in the same class.  I've heard Raymarines are very good but never even seen one.  Get down to a shop and play with them side by side. 
Cairns Bommie Basher

Mark Gwynne

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
October 29, 2010, 11:09:42 PM
I agree with Stephen.
I actually have a dual unit as I bought the boat off my dad. It saves a lot of money but you do lose the versatility and so on like he said.
If I find some cash I'll be looking to get a sounder or a GPS unit and using my current one as the other.

No need to spend big on a GPS either, plenty of decent ones out there in colour that do the job well.

Cheers, Mark.

Ben Earl

October 30, 2010, 09:50:30 PM
  Get down to a shop and play with them side by side.
Steve I wish it was that easy, I live in Palau and there is no such shop. You can order a unit in through the hardware store but thats about it. Thats why Im asking you guys and reading as much as I can. Anyway I appreciate the feedback that I have received, thanks gents

Mack Carson

November 11, 2010, 03:32:30 AM
Hi.

You don't really NEED colour. It's just a modern Upgrade.
And on your budget you'll have troubles buying anything decent.

Myself.
I have a colour Raytheon for mid water and types of fish.
But my older  Furuno 6100 B\W. is magic for bottom work.
And a little system where you can define exactly what depth anything is.
Great for Downrigger work. and schools.

They have the only True "Bottom Lock" on market.
and you'll find all your bottom dwelling fish with it.

The 4100 is a smaller screen with the 6100 innards.
Clearer definition again.

Look at one. You'll be surprised.
I use mine more than the colour one.

Or do as my mate did.
Buggar the budget. He got a loan. and bought the Furuno 12in screen.  WOW..
around 5 1\2 grand though..
Linked with his GPS. He marks the tips of his underwater marks.
 and it takes him right to that spot.
Just like watching tele.
Macka17