Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • DARK CONTINENT DARKSTAR RIDER
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Best Water / Boat Shoes.
October 28, 2010, 08:14:31 PM
Andre, I was fascinated by those wading shoes the guys were wearing on the videos of the Seychelles you sent me a couple of years back, they looked different but practical  :-\ :D

Bun those would have been either Patagonia Marlwalkers or Simms Flat Sneakers for sure.... they are the only things that last the hell of the coral/marl flats of Cosmoledo and Farquhar...

These are not something you would want to wear alllll day including after fishing, but when I'm back on board the mothership, or back on land or whatever, I'm barefoot or with flip flops, then boots go back on whenever starting fishing again...
They are however comfortable as all hell, and one can wear them wet all day.... I wear the SIMMS Gravel guards with them too, keep all and any gravel and sand outta the boots when wading or trekking the surf zone...

Here are the original Sims Flats Sneakers:

And I think I'm gonna be replacing them with a pair of their new Flats Boots, which have a little more ankle support, and they got more grip too...
To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth...

Geoff Volter

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
October 28, 2010, 08:32:51 PM
I'll second Andre's vote, except I use the patagonia marlwalker II's, They give great protection and pretty good grip in the boat. Dont consider KORKER torrents, I have been dragged across the deck due to these.

Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
October 28, 2010, 09:17:09 PM
Geoff - The OG SIMMS flats sneakers had far less ankle support than the Pata Marlwalkers, which is why I think Simms have stepped up their game with their new Flats Boots which are closer in style and support to the Marlwalkers I think...

Both fantastic options with great support and grip!

Hang on, I just checked the new Patagonia site, seems they have gone back to a style more similar to the SImms SNeaker...interesting... the older Marlwalkers defintely had a longer upper/ankle support...

The new ones look pretty trippy... Their Surf Sneaker could be a good option too...

AustralianAngling

October 28, 2010, 09:18:35 PM
Island Slipper Big Game Strap Sandal worn by many of the Crewman & Captains in Australia and around the world.

The Island Slipper Big Game Strap Sandal is constructed of a traditional boat sole for wet traction, a raised upper arch for support and a unique 3-point anchor system. Available in Black and Thorns; Men's full sizes 7-16.

Marcio Paes

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 29, 2010, 01:14:14 AM
How about the timberlands one? Like the plunge (above) I had the old version, and was good, but never found again... I think they discontinued then.

PS: Watersocks from severall brands still work resonable (when they are breathble and not all neoprene). Like the discountinued Nike Aquasocks.

Best regards,

Marcio.

Geoff Volter

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
October 29, 2010, 06:57:20 AM
Andre, I think my next pair will be the simms boots, they look pretty good. A good mate of mine had some durability issues with the simms sneakers but reckons the boots should be ok. The MW's just wont die though but are a pain to get on and off due to the lacing arrangement on the ankles. ie holes not hooks.

Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
October 29, 2010, 07:30:31 AM
I used to wear the AC's but have converted to a pair of Keen sandals and really like them....they don't dry as quickly as some of the rubber shoes but they are more comfortable and the grip is excellent. They also allow your feet to breathe really really well. Unlike some sandal/thong designs you can also get ones (like the ones I have) with a rubber toe protector

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
October 29, 2010, 08:36:26 AM
With the variety of products listed in this thread - i have used most and still have not found anything near standard to what would satisfy me.

I occasionally wear some Asics with unique tread but they are expensive, not water proof and usually done by the end of the trip...

Oh dear  :(

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 29, 2010, 10:58:09 AM
Mario....Those 'Active Casuals' get pretty stinky dont they..???.....even if you do wsh them in fresh water each time.

Crocs are my preffered shoes on the boat........to make them real comfy wearing socks in them is good.

Socks in Crocs is how it goes.

BUT.....its not to nice when the socks get wet which is usually always.

Pete

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 29, 2010, 11:18:34 AM
With the variety of products listed in this thread - i have used most and still have not found anything near standard to what would satisfy me.

I occasionally wear some Asics with unique tread but they are expensive, not water proof and usually done by the end of the trip...

Oh dear  :(

You are right Luke.....

None are perfect......Those Vibram thingies that brandon wear look comfy.......but they look like painted on feet... ;D
I thought Brandon had painted his feet in camoflague the night before on the Odyssey..... ;D ;D

Pete

Mario Benedict

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 29, 2010, 01:07:47 PM
Mario....Those 'Active Casuals' get pretty stinky dont they..???.....even if you do wsh them in fresh water each time.

Pete

I removed the insoles and no stinky for me.

This should be a good boat shoe :-)

marinco koj

October 29, 2010, 02:56:40 PM
I use the rip curl reef walkers and have done for a few years.

Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
October 29, 2010, 06:42:20 PM
Hey guys,

Here are my 5 year old Simms Sneakers.... as you can see, they have taken some punishment, but the soles are still almost 100%...

For the $100 they cost me 5 years back, they've been a good investment....

Luke - I just a shoot for ASICS Europe, and the entire crew got given some "SHoot Loot" in the form of a brand new pair of top end Asics shoes of their choice... I grabbed their Sensor Gel 4 Trail Running shoe, which is probably the most comfortable shoe I've ever worn, and thought that they would be a pretty awesome boat show because they are built to get wet and dry quickly because of trail running, they've got fantastic grip, and flex in the sole, and they are incredibly light....Might try them sometime too...

Peter Agapiou

November 01, 2010, 12:56:34 PM
no shoes the best ,cool ,good grip ,no smell ...harden up boys

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
November 01, 2010, 02:50:31 PM
no shoes the best ,cool ,good grip ,no smell ...harden up boys

Pete...if you could cast more than 130g - then I would accept your harden up boys comments. Stick it!  :P