kriss brown

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
land base popping help
October 29, 2010, 02:59:08 AM
hi angler.
I just wana thanks to those all who have been making effort to answer all the questions that anglers make.more or less i have been browsing alot of forum for while.than decided to join and hope to learn more and make friends while i share my knowledge as well.
Sorry for starting with a question .I hope you all could help me out.I have purchased the daiwa EX maverick 4500h combo with sea jigger 325.My first intention is to spinning metal lure of the rock and use for popping. For while i find that the rod is no good for popping .but not bad for spinning and soft plastics for jewie. My future plan is to chase tuna and spanish makeral  and few GT at rock
 ledges.I live in qld so i will be at north coast ledges only .i am now have 40lb line fix in the spool. And i am planning to get one of the MC Work's rod from japan one of the raging bull series.

.My first question is .IF the reel is suitable for the application that i want to apply to?

2nd . What line class and lure max weight should i be using?

3rd. IF u were me how would you like to fish with this reel? (only for land base).

Hope i do make sens and not asking stupid questions.? :D

thanks guys
kriss

Gareth Branicki

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: land base popping help
October 29, 2010, 09:40:46 AM
Kriss I am mainly a  landbased game spinning and am now moving into gt popping but still will do both mainly just switching target species from the tuna and spanish mackeral to gt,s all are present but gt;s arnt targeted really by the other guys where i fish they tend to be an accidental catch a 30kg+ was hooked by mate on a 65 gram raider when he was just messing around waiting for some blues got it right to landing and broke trebles off.
gear wise  I will start with your reel
 4500 has the line retreive speed for highspeed spinning but the capacity is a bit small if you hook a decent blue it will head right out and you do need a lot of line same with a big spanish my personal best spanish is 19 kg but took less line than longtail aka blue fin tuna weighing the same would do .
majority of the guys either use the stella 10000 or the dogfight tend to be more dogfights as they have been around longer than the stella sw. the stella has enough line for spinning however for gt popping and using heavier braid eg 80 lbs the 10000 stella will be too small in capacity . the 18000 is a good compromise as its high speed its line retreive rate is slightly bigger as the dogfight weighs in the same . I have both started with dogfight which i stil love to bits got the stella firstly for spining but in the knowlege that the capacity of it and the ablity to put a 20000 spool on it meant i could use it for gt popping.

ok line wise most common used it tuf line as it can handle the rocks better than anything else a longtime ago when  ifirst got into spinning i got some very expensive pe braid one nick on the rocks and fish or lure gone and it cost me both in fish and money in tuf line xp only use the green the yellow has bad coating on it 30lb or 50 lb is used depends on choice i use 50lb others 30 casting difference theres nothing much in it.  fins prs is also popular the 30lb breaks well above what is stated and is also popular with spinning we tend to use flurocarbon leader i use 60 lbs knot wise a bimini to an improved allbright
Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 10:20:40 AM by Gareth Branicki

Gareth Branicki

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 29, 2010, 10:00:24 AM
with your floro carbon leader the sunline is too stiff and not the best knot wise so i use a softer floro even the black magic floro works ok i tend to use saltiga floro its hard to get but hard enough and supple enough buts its expensive know one else uses it its just my personal  idiosyncrasy

Lure wise for tana and macs 85 gr raiders or the surecatch equivalent  quite a few off us take the raider treble of and upgrade it dotn use owner as they are to chunky either vmc 4/0 or my favourite gamkatsu  treble 16 3/0 this can be bought online overseas half of what they are here and they are to hard to find here have to order them in. I also add an extra size 9 split ring the rings on both metal lures can strecth big time on a good fish also help with headsheaking.
rod wise  havent seen the sea jigger read the specs its min is 75gr so dont know how far it wil throw something like an 85 gram raider also doubt yu could cast an xrap whichis most popular hard body as they well 50 something halco max is 85 gr. rods mostly used our daiwa emblem 96 mate they can take a huge beating for such a light rod one mate has put his through hell and back also it will cast 85 miles but also 40 and 60 and can be used for tailor . penn do a biggame 10 foot surf which also popular . i have the emblem mainly for lighter work as i have 2 tuna rods the zenaq 86-4 parabolic tuna cast 60 to 120  and the ripple fisher tuna ( it only cast up to 90 gr 85 gram is perfect).
neither is suitable for gt popping the zenaq can pop a 80 gram cubera allright but any higher and it gets diffcult  as for your rod try it with a 100 gram popper and see how you go  to be honest you need 2 rods one for spinning metals and the odd hardbody like the haloc max and xraps when tuna and mackeral spinning and another for gt if from land only need a pe 6-8 rod doubt you we need a much bigger as anything over 25kg is damn lucky probaly more so  theire have ben post on land based popping rods on the forum ive fianlly just got my first gt rod  anway hope that helps
Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 10:18:35 AM by Gareth Branicki

kriss brown

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 29, 2010, 01:11:43 PM
thank you soo much Gareth .You took alot of time for me to reply my question. thank you again Gareth.Now i got my clear view about the lure weight and line and leader choice.For the rod wise i have looked at emblem pro and peen.I like it but as i have spend bit of money on my reel i was thinking of to get better rod.With the reel according to my research and from you answer i have already save up to get either Dogfight or stella for upcoming season.

Now my only problem is what should i do with my current reel and i love this reel and i dont wana put up for sales.

Gareth Branicki

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 29, 2010, 02:07:51 PM
no problem  kriss as for your reel if you stick to 30 lb braid in fins( breaks much higher ) or tufline you will  get enough on it for tuna and mackeral  just had a look at the saltist 4500 on the amrican daiwa site so should be about the same  capacity as your reel they reckon 440  m of 40lb whiplash 400m is fine for the tuna and mackeral as for gt popping if you run 80 lb line no idear how much you would get on l00 m maybe might be more  not enough from land thats for sure   as i mentioned you  might seriously consider 2 rods which is what i have done.
a separete spinning rod and separete gt rod  in that case you better of having 2 reels keep 4500 for lighter work such as macs and tuna  and look at getting a penn or emblem the penn big game surf is very affordable and the guys use them no probs as for the sea jigger rod you have specs say to 170 gram it might manage up to 125 gram and the 100 gram cuberas so you might not need to change rod at this stage if your only doing lbg but as i havent used the rod the   cant advise much apart from maybe go out and get a a halco rooster popper 195 they weighted at 110 and much cheaper than a cubra and see if the rod can hande it  main problem is the sea jigger is only rated up to 30 lb so i would be loath to put 80 lbs braid  .  If the rod can cast an 85 gram raider fine then keep the outfit as your light option  thats about all i can think off  to be honest the rods length and the reel as a combination is fine for tuna /spanish 
cheers
Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 02:47:49 PM by Gareth Branicki

kriss brown

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 29, 2010, 11:36:45 PM
thanks again Gareth .i will stick to wht u say.oh and i already have emblem pro 5500A reel.Just only need to find rod to pop.of course again ur suggestion.

I was asking about the MC work's rod earlier one of the raging bull series.wanted to comb with my saltiga 4500A.Have seen these guys in japan use simlar size reel.what yah think?

Gareth Branicki

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 30, 2010, 12:45:01 AM
hi just checked them out nice rods perfect for tuna and mackeral if i didnt have 2 land based game spinning tuna sticks  already i would be tempted myself and the 10 foot length  but with a gt 10 foot sounds like a lot of pain  also the cast weight  in the heaviest model not huge   are you looking at these  for  spinning or popping   also the price is a lot  espically if you have to ship it in from overseas that usualy set you back over 100 when you take shipping into account  dhl is bad but fedex lol its really harsh you could probably get an entry level gt rod such as the saltiga gt  also its quite long 8 6 
which is good from land if you have a search in regard to entry rods lots of posts and the majority of the forum in fact higher than that has a lot more experince with gt rods!!

with me its been rods for lbg spinning  . unsure which reel you are planning to pop with as your 4500 doesnt have the capacity for 65 lb + braid the emblem has quite a bit more  i had one loved it for tailor also some of the guys use them on the rocks one guy sold his new stella 10000 sw and went back to it because he prefered it however i lent mine to my brother last september he go 4/5 mac tunas around 7/9 kg mark a couple of schoolies all in an hour and half then hooked a 10 kg spanaird landed it as well as the rest and 5 minutes later hooked a 15 kg bludger travally took over 45 mins partly due to the fact halfway through he slipped and tore ligments in his leg secondly it tore the guts out of the gears the fish was landed but reel was totally written off i mean totally un-repairable he still hasnt replaced it  for me damn don't lend to family.
cheers gareth
cheers

kriss brown

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 30, 2010, 04:56:49 PM
cheers again

dam family.lol.hope ur brother is ok though.he better buy u brand new reel i hope so.... :D.Same as me i borrow one of my bream stick and shimano reel to my mate .the dude put the big bait and chuck in the water with drag tide on jetty.next thing he looked at it and the reel and the rod is gone.ediot ...i was pissed off i paid over 700$ took me 6 month to replace back.so this time i learn my lesson and so r u ........ :D.

I wanted to get the mcwork’s rod because I have seen and used once in Japan when my x-gf brother he used The rod is super light and incredibly strong. he is mad rock game angler. This guy really knows his stuff. Trouble is now after I broke up with my x-gf  relation is……… u known???? Any how got new girl and she is from Japan and currently in Japan so she can probably buy me the rod from there and bring it down here… of course I gota pay and convince her ….u know women they will get heart attack when u spend that much money on piece of stick….lol…

any how the raging bull series i was thinking of to comb with my saltiga 4500. chucking metal slugs and light popping and stick baits. Saw these guys used in japan about the same size reel.may be 30lb to 40lb.Try to fill about 400m. i hope it be enough for small tuna,makeral,rat king and small gt.

With my emblem pro.i will get saltiga gtn 86 or something simlar.

and last get probably stella or dogfight for bigger game with suitable rod as u suggested earlier or same copy combo as u.

dam that will break my bank .but gno choice hay...:D i have become tackle junkie or what....hope that i can pull good fish too rather than just showing off with flashy tackle.

what yah think?
cheers

Gareth Branicki

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 30, 2010, 06:08:11 PM
hey mate i think most people who fish become obseesed with buyg gear goes with the territory  i think the Rb 100Xf1 looks fantastic for spiining 10 foot and pe 4-5 so will handle 50 lb or 30 no problems cast weight is ideal similar to my zenaq but much longer   great rod for the tuna and macs  400 m of 30 lb will be fine you might even get slightly more shouldt be a problem . as for gt rod the saltiga gt and also shaimo make a a gt rod called caranx sure there are posts on  the forum  about these hots are also somthing you might consider other wise you hit the 1000 dollar mark
cheers mate

kriss brown

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 31, 2010, 11:25:01 AM
cheers gareth for yah suggestion ...u did help me alot brother.

Gareth Branicki

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 01, 2010, 12:11:00 AM
Kriss i first fished  from about 6 inthe UK fresh  until  11  and apart from  the occasional game boat charter on holiday didn't fish again. until l my son turned around 4 or 5 and inquisitive and remembering my fishing background   he mentioned fishing and I opened my big mouth lol.

It  took me a year to catch 3 breams and a tailor  lol over 9 day trips  the obsession i had as kid came back to haunt me  .Fresh water coarse fishing  is so different .  I had to learn from scratch  to salt water fish due  to various forums  and those ppl who were kind enough to help me and through trawling posts first on beach fishing then LBG and experience 6 years later I am not to bad .
However  i spent over  the first 2 and half years at the beginning buying expensive gear which was unsuitable and  some very bad and costly mistakes.

A lot of  people take up fishing and are too embarrassed to post a question on a forum or get no replies.
Worst mistake was thinking i could check out reels and rods even for spinning of the rocks  or live bating inc beach fishing and look at the specs and think I understood what i needed.

I have only just entering gt fishing the guys on this forum have given so much advice and help i could never say thankyou enough !!!!

As for lbg no probs  whether spinning or  live baiting  however  nowhere near experience as some ppl on this forum .
LBG is exceptionally secretive and giving out locations or advice or when the fish are on is rare you  need to trawl the forums and start pm ppl unless you had a friend who is in it research is massive that why theres so little advice around as everyone has had to do so much  research and  overcrowding of spots.
 The reason why i have given you so much info tackle wise is really due to the fact that some ppl took time with me when starting out in lbg after some really bad mistakes which i can never repay as.  so i think its only fair to do the same  as for lbg forums if you haven't found them yet you need to hit google more

cheers Gareth
Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 09:16:06 AM by Gareth Branicki

kriss brown

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 01, 2010, 11:53:29 AM
thank you again Gareth

I do know what yah mean. To be honest i am new to lbg and let say very new to fishing. My fishing have started 2yrs ago  for picnic with my girl near the quite river .I saw few fish swimming down but got no idea what fish were they. Near the river we found old fishing line and a small hook that people left .so took my girl lovely smoke salmon sandwich for a bite and used the salmon for bait. use the cigarette lighter steel cap as my sinker and cast it 2m infront of me. Saw some fish come and  inquest but no touch .Out of no where something rise up from the sand and took my bait. There we go my first fish .Flathead. not big but that time it was amazing to see and got no clue what was that. Even scare to touch.lol. Here how I start and next day got my self 30$ rod and reel combo from kmart. Many of try and error don’t have clue about bait, line, reel…Met a lot of people and good mate aong thw way. They were my mentor and helper. Bought a lot of magazine, DVD and catalogue. Thought many thing that which would take many year for others.When not working I will be wetting my line or doing things relating to .Go many places as I can possibly can. Even I have lost my car licenses. That was my own stupid fault. Now thanks to Internet The knowledge are everywhere and unlimited. I am not pro or neither expert) may be so far away from it but I know I have become better angler. Caught many great fish over short time that I could not even dream that they exist on this mother earth. And Many and many more have left on my list. Hope I could complete before I die. Especially people like you help along the way .Without people like you Gareth  it would be impossible to complete my wonderful journey. Can not thank u enough .Only one thing I could do it spread my knowledge for further generation to enjoy as well.,
 I am also member of many of lbg forum. Sometimes ask the same question .you know not all the answer are the same. And that in turn some way teach me more about how people choose their tackle ,bait and many more. Every body is unique in thier own way. I believe in knowledge and it’s a tool to help u to achieve what we want to achieved.
I have never seen a real tuna or Spanish mackerel in my life of course accept from the dinning table. And wanted to be ready when they come by and hopefully I can land and have a look. One more night I will put my head on the pillow and dream again about my drag scream and catching the fishes that I always want to catch.

And I believe in the quote

Life is like a coin. You can spend it any way you wish, but you only spend it once.
Lillian Dickson

Cheers Gareth

Gareth Branicki

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 01, 2010, 09:16:36 PM
Once your hooked theres no going back the longer you fish the better you get lbg harder to break into but persitance  pays mate nothing like landing your first blue or spaniard from the rocks which you all the luck mate
and keep reserching and asking ppl
cheers gareth