Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • If it moves......cast at it!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: FG and PR Knots
December 08, 2010, 01:42:43 PM
Gavin, see my post above, the further down the knot you get away from the hitch end, the less it will bite (as you tension it) - you'll eventually get to the point when further wraps simply will not tension at all.  If about 2/3 are visibly biting that would sound about right to me, I'm finding about 12 - 15 turns does the trick too.

Gareth Branicki

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 08, 2010, 02:34:43 PM
Mark love info on the bouz lighter  nomad stocks them hate burning my finger tips with the lighter .
Peter with the 80 lb i using about 18 wraps length which ends up  jsut with wraps about nearly 2 cm  have really tightend the wraps last one felt as if i had used my pr bobbin  your mentioned the knot requires some slippage  am i tying the wraps to tight
cheers

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 08, 2010, 03:04:30 PM
As well as avoiding burning your fingers Gareth, the Bouz cutter is windproof and most importantly makes sure that the heat does not get too close to the business areas of the knot.

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 08, 2010, 03:48:40 PM
Gareth, the amount of slipping is minute (its probably 0.5 mm or so), you will know the knot has bitten as the braid changes colour ever so slightly (closest to the hitches) as the heat from the slipping braid fuses it onto the mono - look real close!  If you are using yellow braid it will go slightly darker.

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 08, 2010, 05:51:14 PM
Gareth, the amount of slipping is minute (its probably 0.5 mm or so), you will know the knot has bitten as the braid changes colour ever so slightly (closest to the hitches) as the heat from the slipping braid fuses it onto the mono - look real close!  If you are using yellow braid it will go slightly darker.

Hi Peter ,

Good observation , it pays to lubricate the knot as it is being pulled on both ends , I use water to help dissipate the heat when doing MidKnot .

Jon .
Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 11:02:35 PM by Jon Li
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 08, 2010, 07:33:30 PM
Yes good point Jon, Ill try that!