Dave Hoo

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Spinal popping and jigging blanks reviews?
March 26, 2011, 11:39:24 PM
Hi,
I was reading the forums and came across the Spinal brand of popping n jigging blanks / rods.

Anyone has any reviews for them?

thanks

Dave Hoo

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Anyone who might have used the spinals? Their reviews seemed good in the 360 Tuna foru

Dan Harley

I have fished the 500g for Bluefin tuna on the Canyon Runner 60' they are nicely made rods.  For me the 500g was a heavy rod but I think that was the intent.  I'm more a fan of 350 to 450g max so it was not for me, but I liked the quality of the build - they are made in the US and I thought well done, wraps where well done, hardware, fit and finish are very good.  Impressed me as being alot of rod for the money.

Gil Ayuyao

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
A SPM8 or SPH78 popping rod may be in my future...reviews sound great and price is very manageable.  Wish there was a dealer close by so I can pull on the rod/blank so I can decide....or maybe just get both  ;D

Gil Ayuyao

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
Re: Spinal popping and jigging blanks reviews?
October 26, 2011, 01:29:15 PM
Got my SPH78 (60-120lb) back from my rod builder and got a factory SPM8 (60-100lb).  Both rods will be used on a multiday trip to Baja Mexico in December.  :)  Will be doing some test casting soon with a Stella and Saltiga, respectively.  The SPM will be used with stickbaits and plastics and the SPH for poppers.

The trip will be targeting 100-200lb yellowfin tuna aboard a 92-foot sportfishing yacht.  The common practice is lure fishermen to use the bow so I'll be tossing stickbaits, poppers, and soft plastics while the bait guys will be at the stern.

Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 01:44:48 PM by Gil Ayuyao

BriceBludau

Re: Spinal popping and jigging blanks reviews?
November 16, 2011, 03:35:14 PM
I have built a lof of custom Spinal rods.  Look at beachtimerods.com if you want to see any of them.  They are a lot of rod for the money.  Very light weight blanks and can be kept that way with the right components.  The SPM8 and the SPH78 are probably the most applicable for GT fishing.

Here are how the blanks compare to some others in the same class.

Spinal SPM8, New OTI Tuna Sniper 8' 60/80 (still in prototype phase), Black Devil 200, Synit MKII, OTI OceanXtreme 60/80

-The Spinal is the 2nd lightest in weight behind the Synit.  BD was heaviest
-Spinal is fast.  In between the new Sniper (slightly faster) and the Xtreme (slightly slower)
-Spinal handle section is shortest of all, making the top longer than usual.  This affects travel, shipping, and handle customization

Spinal SPH78, New OTI Tuna Sniper 76XXH, Synit PE10

-Spinal has the softest tip of these and was probably the most moderate.  Similar in action to the Synit
-New OTI is the fastest and had the most reserve power
-I designed this OTI blank to double for killing the will of big bluefin tuna and be more suited for large GTs

All in all, the Spinals get a good rap here in the US.  They break just like any others, but Travis has a good warranty and stands behind his rods.  The blanks are made overseas, but rolled here in the US.  It is still a small company so they can do that.  I will openly say that parts of the Spinal rods influenced my design of the new OTI Sniper line (everything in that list did).  There's things I like and a few I don't, but the good definately out weighs the bad.

Good overall choice for a budget popping option.  But watch for my new Tuna Snipers.  Canyon Reels Australia will have them early 2012.  I plan to kick some real butt in the mid-priced popping catagory!