Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Stickbaits - different types
March 18, 2007, 10:17:31 PM
As there has been some interest on working stickbaits, I thought it might be useful if I posted a thread on some of the stickbaits are out there, their availability, their effectiveness, what conditions they work in etc etc.

Please note what is below is only my opinion and if anyone has different views or can add to what I have posted, please do so. One of the objectives of this site is to share information among GT fishos and if any of you have a way of using these which works well for you, I'm sure the rest of us would love to know it!

Stickbaits have really started to become very popular and are now viewed as an essential in the lure bag of any keen GT fisherman. Like poppers, there are many many different types of stickbaits out there and there are subtle differences between them and they way in which they work best.

In the attached photo, there are seven stickbaits. From the top:

Plat Billy - a new stickbait and a biggie. I haven't actually had the opportunity to test this out fishing but I have tested the action out. It's a surface stickbait and a floater. This type of stickbait generally works best with reasonably smooth and fast sweeps of the rod tip from pointing at the lure and then sweep the rod to one side. I have a personal view that these are not really suitable for anything but good conditions but perhaps someone has worked out a way to fish these in rough conditions. This stickbait is available on occasion from Plat (www.plat.co.jp)

Carpenter Gamma - I supppose I would say that perhaps this stickbait has a bigger reputation than anything else out there but in my view, a lot of this is attributable to its rarity. There is no doubt it is a highly effective stickbait but it is among the hardest lures to obtain that I know of. This is also a surface stickbait and works best with the same type of action as I described above for the Plat. In my opinion and experience, very much a fair weathered friend. In rouch conditions, I can't keep it from breaking the surface. In terms of availablity, I'm sorry but I have no idea where you are going to be able to get one from!

Heru Wahoo - A relatively new lure that is now widely available. They are distributed by Bluewater and Nomad Sportfishing locally. This stickbait is also a floater but is far better in rough conditions than the two above. I have found this to be effective in all conditions. If you're going to carry one stickbait, I think I would recommend this due to its availability and all round effectiveness in all conditions. I think it would be fair for me to say that its effectiveness is not in question - Nomad Sportfishing absolutely swear by it. This lure works well with an action like what I described above but also seems to work well when retrieved slowly with little twitches of the rod tip. This stickbait is also effective when trolled but please note that you will need to set it back a long way otherwise it will break the surface continually. if this lure had just an ounce more weight in it, it would be amazing. if I have the time, I am going to drill out a couple and add some lead to it and then test this out.

Orion Bigfoot - one of my two favourite stickbaits. the Bigfoot is a sinker (which I prefer) and works best when permitted to sink and retrieved with a darting action. I have found ti is best to dart it, let it sink and then start darting it again. I use a slowish retrieve but I make the darting action quite erratic. I have seen GTs absolutely smash this after following it to the surface when you let it sink and do a few little twitches with the rod tip to simulate an injured or sick fish. In my opinion, the most effective stickbait I have used in rough conditions. When its gloomy with little sun, the pink and white version (as pictured here) is my "go to" lure. The lure is not available in Australia but can be sourced from www.caranx.net or direct from its maker, Eric Le Guyader.

Smith Big Runboh - my other favourite stickbait. The Runboh to me was always a fair weathered friend and was never that effective for me until the day I whacked on a couple of big Recorder trebles which caused it to sink. I then found a stickbait which I could work very similarly to the Bigfoot but whch when you initiated a long pull to the side (the action I recommend with the floaters above), really comes alive. All fish seem to like this stickbait. I have found this to be the most effective stickbait for me. Now the bad news - Smith have stopped making the Runboh.

I can't remember the brand of this one! I wish I did because it is extremely effective. This is an interesting stickbait because it is actually a fast sinker unlike the others and I tend to let it sink and retrieve with a fast stop/start jerky action. i got these from the Angler's Hut in Singapore. A great stickbait for all conditions. Unfortunately they onyl come in this size. If only they came in the size of the Plat Billy!

Smith Runboh Junior - see above for Big Runboh
Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 06:55:24 PM by Luke Wyrsta
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: Stickbaits - different types
March 20, 2007, 08:33:45 AM
Nice collection there. Wish we had more access to them around here. I have 2 bigfoots on the way shortly...

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
March 20, 2007, 09:16:18 PM
Nice rundown there Brandon.

I would also like to say that some of the floating stickbaits can also be deadly when fished purely on the surface. Most shapes are able to produce a really good 'in-built' action that doesn't need too much rod work. They like to zig zag and throw up water with some ocassional rolling...a really appealing action that has produced many GTs for myself.

As for rod work when fishing them on the surface, i like to keep the rod tip high while adding some vigorous up and down action (feels like short pumping). Throw in some pauses for good measure or sideway/downwards sweeps for a dive and your set 8)
Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 09:18:04 PM by Luke Wyrsta

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 20, 2007, 10:00:09 PM
When Stellajigger and I did a Tackle shop crawl in Dec I found a 'had to have' lure, even though I havn't done any serious popping. It is a Shimano Ocea 150s, whats your opinion on these stickbaits.
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 20, 2007, 10:05:38 PM
sometimes the fish will hit the most unnatural looking lures! On my last trip out, I had the Bigfoot on the surface after the leader got caught on the back treble so while I was reeling it in, it was like pointing backwards, on the surface and had no action whatsoever. A GT came out of nowhere and had a poke at it. Not surprisingly, it didn't hook up  ???

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 20, 2007, 10:09:17 PM
When Stellajigger and I did a Tackle shop crawl in Dec I found a 'had to have' lure, even though I havn't done any serious popping. It is a Shimano Ocea 150s, whats your opinion on these stickbaits.

the only thing with the Ocea 150 is that it is a little small and light for big GTs. It looks like a great lure for other species

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 20, 2007, 10:33:12 PM
I haven't used my Ocea yet. Its scheduled for a debut next trip off the rocks. Im hoping it will work well on pelagics. The floating one is 46g and the sinking 60gr. An ok weight on a tuna stick for some close range action.It probably wouldn't come out looking too good after an encounter with a big gt.

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 20, 2007, 10:42:46 PM
Hopeing to Jig the deep on Sunday and will try the Ocea on my 15kg spinning outfit [Emlem-pro / T-C 10-15] if we come across any surface action [my feet are getting itchy and my palms are sweaty].
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Matt Hill

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 20, 2007, 10:52:05 PM
have used the shimano one and the yellowfin absolutely loved it. they were launching out of the water and nailing it. eventually lost it to a massive dirty old mac tuna right at my fett.  think the impact of it hitting the lure so hard at such a short distance from the rod tip did the damage to the line as i was only running 10kg.

cheers matt

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 20, 2007, 11:03:55 PM
doesn't it give you the $@#! to lose a lure in front of you! I lost my favourite popper about two yards from my rod tip to a big wahoo. Their teeth are amazing. It cut through fourstrands of 100lb mono like it was butter.

have used the shimano one and the yellowfin absolutely loved it. they were launching out of the water and nailing it. eventually lost it to a massive dirty old mac tuna right at my fett.  think the impact of it hitting the lure so hard at such a short distance from the rod tip did the damage to the line as i was only running 10kg.

cheers matt

Hal Harvey

March 22, 2007, 11:48:18 PM
I'll add my biased two bit's worth. Some of our guys love using Ocea Pencils on kings and smaller pelagics (macks and tuna), while others have been a lover of the equivalent Daiwa stickbait, Dorado Slider 14. Both are definitely great lures and all the staff have stocked up on them, though neither of them are GT lures in my book; but Daiwa also do a Dorado Slider 18cm, in either 65g or 85g, and that is a very desirable lure! We just got them in this week. I bought some when I went to Japan last year and have been using them, love 'em, so very happy to now have them on the Australian market.

Bernie talks about adding more weight to a Wahoo. I did ask the manufacturer to do this late last year, to give it more 'bob' on the pause, and the newer ones are a little weightier in the tail than the originals, but they didn't go as far as I originally wanted them to. But then after having used them more I do reckon it's really just a change of technique compared to using stickbaits that have even heavier tails, and I'm happy with how they are now. They also did me up some high floating ones, lighter, which were theoretically going to be good for lagoon country, but in practice weren't required, so we scrapped that plan.

This is a link to some of our stickbaits. About the end of the month we'll also have Wahoo 125s, which are physically sized between the 100 and the 150, not just a heavier version of the 100.

We've been experimenting as much as time allows with using singles on Dyneema/Kevlar cord, instead of singles on split rings or trebles on split rings. Results to date have been very encouraging, at least on big fish. Jobus and SJ-51s for extra-heavy lures, and SJ-41 Owners for most things, seem to be the go.
Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 11:54:14 PM by Hal Harvey

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 23, 2007, 12:03:07 AM
Hal - it is interesting you made the same observation of the Wahoo. My comment on adding weight was that for most of the time, I seem to be fishig for GTs in relatively rough water. In these conditions, I like my stickies to sink slowly so i can then dart them back up to the surface and then let them sink again.

Jon is a regular visitor to this site and he is aiming to continualy improve the lures. As I have pointed out above, they work pretty damn well already!

In calm water, I tend to go for a Smith Runboh or (gasp) a Carpenter Gamma as they really are a surface stickbait. The Runboh, however, will sink slowly with a pair of big recorder trebles on it.

The Daiwa and Shimano stickbaits loko great but if only they came in a 120g size!! You can really tell you're on a GT website here!! 

Are you finding a more secure hookup with the assist rigged singles?

I'll add my biased two bit's worth. Some of our guys love using Ocea Pencils on kings and smaller pelagics (macks and tuna), while others have been a lover of the equivalent Daiwa stickbait, Dorado Slider 14. Both are definitely great lures and all the staff have stocked up on them, though neither of them are GT lures in my book; but Daiwa also do a Dorado Slider 18cm, in either 65g or 85g, and that is a very desirable lure! We just got them in this week. I bought some when I went to Japan last year and have been using them, love 'em, so very happy to now have them on the Australian market.

Bernie talks about adding more weight to a Wahoo. I did ask the manufacturer to do this late last year, to give it more 'bob' on the pause, and the newer ones are a little weightier in the tail than the originals, but they didn't go as far as I originally wanted them to. But then after having used them more I do reckon it's really just a change of technique compared to using stickbaits that have even heavier tails, and I'm happy with how they are now. They also did me up some high floating ones, lighter, which were theoretically going to be good for lagoon country, but in practice weren't required, so we scrapped that plan.

This is a link to some of our stickbaits. About the end of the month we'll also have Wahoo 125s, which are physically sized between the 100 and the 150, not just a heavier version of the 100.

We've been experimenting as much as time allows with using singles on Dyneema/Kevlar cord, instead of singles on split rings or trebles on split rings. Results to date have been very encouraging, at least on big fish. Jobus and SJ-51s for extra-heavy lures, and SJ-41 Owners for most things, seem to be the go.

Hal Harvey

March 23, 2007, 01:14:08 AM
Are you finding a more secure hookup with the assist rigged singles?
About on par with trebles so far, but a lot more 'comfortable' when getting the hook/s back out of fish. Every once in a while we've still had the odd bent treble even with the best of Owners, which of course you don't get with assist singles. I have my doubts about singles on split rings though... haven't tried it but the limited flexibility and the fact that you have to spread the ring so much to get it over the hook eye both leave me cold.

Some of the customers are well into using assist singles on minnows for barra etc too now. I reckon this will be big news in the next year or two.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 23, 2007, 08:13:24 AM
I find the Jobus are a nightmares on split rings. The hook may be bloody strong but I am not sure if I have or haven't compromised the strength of the split ring.

On barra, I have been using the single for a little while now. Anecdotally, I believe you don't hook as many fish but I sure don't lose as many to thrown hooks either. I use the owner opposite eye hooks for this.

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 24, 2007, 01:26:54 PM
Hit the rocks again this morning, and used the slider again. Played around with the technique and now I do like the way they work. Water wasnt as rough as last time, and I had a follow from a king on it. Quite happy with the slider now compared to before now that I can work it better.

Didnt know they came in 85 gram sizes? Hal, is that large size new ?

Looking forward to giving the orions a go soon too.