Ian Ramsey

Coastal Gts
November 16, 2010, 06:16:41 PM
Hi all it has been a while since I posted , We have had one hell of a year for wind up here on Cape York , at least I was able to get all my gear ready , and practice my knots , I went out on sunday for a bit of light popping for GTs , the photo is the first GT for the season , The rod is one I built , the reel a saragosa 4000 with 40 lb power pro braid , the popper is 4 1/2 in I est the GT at 20--25 kg  ?, I had my son with me so he learnt a lot about boat handling , it took about 25 min to land , as you can see in the photo we are just off the coast , as we where fighting him the wind came up so we had to head home , but we are going to give it another go after work on thursday , My son has not caught one yet so I am hoping to put him onto one ,   Ian

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Coastal Gts
November 16, 2010, 07:11:37 PM
Well done Ian.

With all due respect, can I ask if that GT is dead?  If not and you were intending to release the fish, I do not think that is a great way to hold it mate - very easy to break its back.
Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 07:18:28 PM by Mark Harris

Ian Ramsey

November 16, 2010, 07:22:28 PM
Mark ,  Thank you for pointing that out about holding them ,I did not know that and I have a lot of respect for them , and I never kill them ,   Ian

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 16, 2010, 07:34:55 PM
I think there is thread here somewhere about the preferred way to hold GTs for a photo prior to release. Basically support with both arms, or for real monsters, resting firmly on your thighs....... great examples in Brandon's recent thread here: http://www.gtpopping.com/forum/index.php?topic=2987.0

Cheers mate.

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
November 17, 2010, 08:07:30 AM
Nice work Ian - lighter tackle than i'd like to fish for the buggers!  I have enought trouble with them using heavy gear ;D Let us know if you get your son onto one - great country up there for them.