Ricky Lim

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Hard Reel Cases
February 04, 2011, 03:50:52 AM
Anyone had tried and had problems with carrying poppers on board as hand luggage?

Isaac Denny

February 04, 2011, 07:59:11 AM
Anyone had tried and had problems with carrying poppers on board as hand luggage?

Lures/Poppers are no worries as long as they have no hooks... I've taken them aboard Jetstar/Virgin/Qantas whilst flying within Oz.

I've also taken the Stella spooled up and my jigging reel, aslo spooled up, on board - both got big long looks at Brisbane Airport security, and I was asked to remove from my carry on for a look - but they had no dramas (they just look unusual on the x-ray machine). Also had no dramas at Rockhampton or Cairns Airport - both directions.

Although the renta-cop at Cairns airport did confiscate some electrical tape off me once - security threat. Given that, if I had the same person at security that took my roll of leccy tape - they would have probably made me stow line as well...

Chris Tan

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
February 04, 2011, 11:47:22 AM
For our NC trip last November, I checked in my line filled spools and fitted in empty 10000 spools in the older stellas in the hand carry. For my newer 18k, I left it bare and it was fine.

As for poppers, a couple of friends hand carried them across and had no problems. Best thing to do is get them out when you're going through customs and the x-ray machine so that they can clearly see what they are. You'll even get some custom people asking you what you're fishing for.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 04, 2011, 02:11:12 PM
The security guys at Sydney International gave Konishi a good working over due to the huge stickbaits in his carry-on. They let him through eventually. Apparently, their concern was the stickbaits were big enough to be a club!

I'm also aware if guys running into trouble with long jigs which security is concerned could be used as a weapon
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 04, 2011, 02:15:07 PM
Give a man a hat and uniform and he suddenly feels very important. That is never more apparent than with airport officials.

Ricky Lim

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 04, 2011, 03:09:54 PM
Cheers people for all your taughts!
Some good points here.
I am thinkin the same Chris, carry empty 18000 spool and check in 20000.
With my luck or should I say people I travel with (black cat Kasey)  ;D ;D
Should consider pre post the gear over.
 Stickbait as club? Dental floss for strangling? U so rite about them Mark.!!!
Will have 2 put on a friendly and happy face for d uniform  8) 8)

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 04, 2011, 05:37:38 PM
4 years ago in Brisbane I was made to take out new spools of braid and leader in thier packets, but allowed to leave my then uncovered spooled reels, work that one out?
After that I covered my spools on my Stella's with a soft stubby holder secured around it with a ziptie cut off flush, secured in a ziptied zipped bag inside my cabin bag. No worries at Brisbane, Auckland, Wellington International and domestic, Hamilton Is, Tauranga, Nelson, Palmerston Nth, Sydney and the 2 Fiji airports, but got stopped at my little home airport at Maroochydore on the way to Sydney last year as a 'Wally' recons I might have a friend on board with nail clippers that can cut the zipties  :o >:(%#2@!! WHAT, had to put the reels in a small bag to go on checked in luggage  :(. we had chip spittin Bun
Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 05:46:28 PM by Greg Burt
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Dan Wulf

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 08, 2011, 01:39:04 AM
I have a few of these: http://total-fishing-holidays.com/fox-evolution-x-reel-case and they do an excellent job in keeping the reels safe.
They are hard cased and lined with foam.

Serge.
Hi Serge,
Do you know whether a Stella 10000 will fit in the standard version of Fox Evolution Reel Case? I assume that Stella 18000/20000 don't fit the standard version. Correct? BTW - do you know the weight of the large version ("Big pit")?
Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 01:44:19 AM by Dan Wulf

Serge de Bruijn

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 08, 2011, 01:56:00 AM
Hi Dan,

I think I have the large version for my 10000FA , will weigh it tonight and get back to you.

If you have the 10000 SW could you tell me to which size FA series it is comparable ?

Serg.

Dan Wulf

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 08, 2011, 05:50:17 AM

MikeOsborn

February 09, 2011, 05:16:51 AM
I travel with a big pelican case with all my reel's lures and rigging gear. similar to this one with wheels and all

I had to remove 2000m of hollow braid off two tiagras leaving the states 2 years ago heading back to mexico which put a sour taste in my mouth.
Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 05:21:43 AM by MikeOsborn

Serge de Bruijn

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 11, 2011, 05:03:31 AM
The case I have weighs just under 500 grams , I would expect the standard size to be a little lighter.

Dan Wulf

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 11, 2011, 07:41:51 AM
The case I have weighs just under 500 grams , I would expect the standard size to be a little lighter.
Excellent information, Serge! Thanks!

Lee Margrave

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 13, 2011, 02:58:22 AM
Sam           
I travel with a big pelican case with all my reel's lures and rigging gear. similar to this one with wheels and all

I had to remove 2000m of hollow braid off two tiagras leaving the states 2 years ago heading back to mexico which put a sour taste in my mouth.
Interesting topic..  Regarding what airline security will allow and won't allow.  One thing to keep in mind is the size of your carry on. Soft luggage seems easier to oversize a little and the shape will conform better when placing into the overhead bins. My hard case will usually go no problems on International flights, but those little comuter planes want to check it and also charge a small ransom.  Cheers .............Lee

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 13, 2011, 03:23:18 PM
With the reels used in the photo, I reckon that Pelican case might be an American product :).