Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Use barbless hooks ....please!!
September 18, 2007, 06:30:22 AM
I suppose you could call this topic a request or a plea to encourage everyone to use barbless hook when fishing for GTs irrespective of whether you are using trebles, singles whatever! The reality is when fishing for GTs, you are going to lose your fair share of fish. They are an incredibly tough fish and you will lose your fair share - that is why we fish for them. I am sure like myself, you would want the fish that escapes to survive. After all, nearly all (if not all) of us on this site catch and release.

When a fish escapes when you are using barbless hooks, there is a reasonable probability that it will be able to get rid of the lure. It's not certain but at least it has a reasonable chance of doing so. GTs, like yellowtails, try to rub the annoyance off on the coral or rocky bottom. On the other hand, if you use barbs, you are significantly reducing the chances of the fish being able to get rid of the hook. I know people say hooks rust out but anyone want to guess how long it would take a heavy guage hook like a Jobu or ST-76 to rust out? I sincerely doubt that the fish would survive or at the least, you are significantly reducing the probability that it will survive.

We all have a responsibility to take care of the fishing stock. There is no doubt that not all the fish we release will survive but we at least should do what we can. It's the same issue with using heavy line. the faster you pull a fish in, the better the condition it is in when you release it and the greater the chance it will survive.

I don't even crush barbs any more. I saw that Malcolm Crane grinded his barbs off at Bugatti, realised what a great idea that was and have since invested in a dremel.

Finally, if I still haven't convinced some of you to do it for the sake of the fish, then do it for yourself. I have seen countless lures recovered after a fish is lost when it has managed to successfully throw the lure and it floats up to the surface. I've seen it over a dozen times this year already. At Shoalwater, the young deckie on the Odyssey, Liam McDonald, managed to recover the same stickbait three times after losing it because fish kept throwing it and it kept floating up. He lost it the fourth time!  :D
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Use barbless hooks ....please!!
September 18, 2007, 08:05:36 AM
 With grinding the barb there is friction heat around the point, is this OK for holding it's sharpness on chemically sharpened hooks?
 Can chemically sharpened hooks like ST-66 Trebles, SJ-41 and Jobu singles be sharpened or just touched up?
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Che Carson

September 20, 2007, 04:01:16 PM
Well done Brandon. I second that motion. As explained by a wise man once - The only reason you need barbs on your hooks is to keep the bait on  ;).

Greg grinding the barb off causes no problem to the strength of the hook or the point. As for sharpening them I have been touching up St-66s with a lite file with no adverse affects. On a Jobu I would do it with care as they sport the cutting point (still very doable). I go over the filed are with a permanent marker to help prevent corrosion.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 20, 2007, 05:55:05 PM
Greg - I've noticed no impact on the hook point at all - except where I got careless and ran the dremel right over the point. I can grind a barb off in a few seconds. Like Che, I also always touch up the point of the hook. I like my hooks as sharp as I can get them. The hooks we use have a very heavy guage and we need them as sharp as possible. I find on hooks like the Jobus and SJ-51s that I very rarely need to sharpen these. They're like razors. I again do what Che does with the Jobu and that is I use a permanent marker to touch it up but I do it for cosmetic reasons! I'm now glad to know that I do it to prevent corrosion as well   :D

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 20, 2007, 06:38:38 PM
It's proven , penetration wise barbless hook is better than barbed hook .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 20, 2007, 09:22:06 PM
I have always sharpened my stainless and duratin game hooks, found that chemically sharpened ones were unusable once blunt, tried to file a point on some many years ago but had no success.
I shouldn't have mentioned the Jobu's in the post above as they are not chemically sharpened. Still have some 18yo Gorillas, as sharp as new ones!. ;D
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 20, 2007, 10:11:21 PM
Bun - outside of a big primate, what is a gorilla?

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 21, 2007, 07:30:36 AM
Spot the difference!!! ;D ;D ;D ;)
Greg 'FFF' Burt