Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Polarised Filters on Camera's
November 09, 2010, 12:58:53 PM
Many people on here using Polarised filters on their camera's..?

I just purchased a polarised filter kit from 'Lensmate' which looked pretty good and came in at a reasonable price.

Any thoughts..?

Pete

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
Re: Polarised Filters on Camera's
November 09, 2010, 01:00:56 PM
Many people on here using Polarised filters on their camera's..?

I just purchased a polarised filter kit from 'Lensmate' which looked pretty good and came in at a reasonable price.

Any thoughts..?

Pete

For me, it's a cardinal sin for any fishing/ocean photography if you don't - but that's just me  ;)

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 09, 2010, 02:13:09 PM
Question from a photograhy gumby -what does the polarised filter do?
Sorry but I have a dreadful knowledge of photography.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 09, 2010, 04:16:43 PM
Im pretty much on the same level Brandon but like any Polarisation the filter reduces the amount of glare

from my understanding...

Luke tell me more.....you obviously like the effect.

Is yours a filter or a proper lens..??

Pete

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • If it moves......cast at it!
  • Liked:
November 09, 2010, 05:03:15 PM
Peter, Is your lensmate for the Canon G series by any chance?  I bought a cheaper version off the net and not reel happy with the way the adpater meshes with the camera threads, is the Lensmate nice and solid?  Was thinking of going for the lensmate with the 72mm stepup.

Patrick Naslund

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 09, 2010, 05:12:58 PM
Polarisers do a couple things

1. it will darken  and intensify colors in skies and water for ex ( eliminate water droplets in sky and reflections in water ) best effect if you have sun at a 90 degree.
2 It will make water more transparent and reduce reflections form for ex foliage.. thus making colors more intense

Intesifyed colors can be made in photoshop in post prod
You will lose around 1.5 stops in light compared to not use one ( slower shutter speed )

Patrick

"Photographer for 20 years"

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 09, 2010, 05:37:43 PM
Lukes been getting really intensified colours in his pics over the last few years, is that only through the polarised filter Luke ?
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Aaron Concord

November 09, 2010, 09:55:04 PM
Jon is on the money with the CIRCULAR polarizer.
This is a polarising filter fitted to a rotating lens thread.
It allows for the best reduction of glare and colour saturation depending on where the sun is coming from.
Think of it as polarized sunnies for your camera. 
You look through the view finder and adjust the filter to get the result you are trying to capture.

The standard ones are ND or Neutral Density which is a dark grey colour.
I use these though I have been wanting a "Moose" Peterson Circular Polar to best capture the browns and greens when out around reef and for intense sunsets......it's the closest thing to my Maui Jim sunnies that I have found without needing extra time processing the image in Photoshop.
This filter is more bronze/brown in colour, which is more in line with the sunnies I like to wear and therefore, the image colour that I am after.

as for the effect and shutter speed loss, Patrick has covered that to a tee.....

Aaron.

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 09, 2010, 10:05:24 PM
Peter, Is your lensmate for the Canon G series by any chance?  I bought a cheaper version off the net and not reel happy with the way the adpater meshes with the camera threads, is the Lensmate nice and solid?  Was thinking of going for the lensmate with the 72mm stepup.

No Pete...

Mine is for the Canon S90.
I bought it from the lensmate website and all the reviews looks the goods.
Pictures with it look like the ones Jon has demonstrated.

Pete

Sam Walker

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 28, 2010, 01:21:34 AM
I have a Hoya Moose circular polarising filter for my Fuji S5600....a must for taking the camera out fishing. I'm not a technically proficient photographer so I don't know what effect it has on my camera as far as settings go. Mine's not a DSLR so it sorts all that out for me.
 One thing I learnt was the filter needs to be rotated to get the polarisation effect for each shot. First time out I didn't know and some photos were good, others not.
I was snapping Sailfish alongside the boat and when the filter wasn't aligned properly it was just like fishing without polarised sunnies.
I rang the place I bought it from and the bloke explained what I had to do. Put simply I use the LCD screen and rotate the filter (it's able to rotate without unscrewing) until the water goes dark (reflection reduced or gone) 
something clever and witty !

Darren Cook

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
November 28, 2010, 08:28:05 AM
Are these lenses also suitable for HD handy cams used on the water?

I'm looking for one for my canon. I havent found mention of handycams on the lensmate site.

Sam Walker

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 28, 2010, 01:34:28 PM
Hi Darren, if your Handycam has a thread on the rim of the lens, you're in with a chance. I bought my filter from a website after a bit of Googling. I just received a Canon Legria video camera as a birthday present but as far as I can find, there's no polarising filter available to suit  :(

Darren Cook

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
November 28, 2010, 01:40:43 PM
Hi Darren, if your Handycam has a thread on the rim of the lens, you're in with a chance. I bought my filter from a website after a bit of Googling. I just received a Canon Legria video camera as a birthday present but as far as I can find, there's no polarising filter available to suit  :(
Damn, I have the Legria as well.
It has the threat and I've seen wide angle accessory lenses on the canon site.
I'd be happy with a clear glass screw on lens for a little added protection from spray etc but ultimately i should invest in a housing......Oh well, cheers.

Sam Walker

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 28, 2010, 04:30:11 PM
Mine is the FS36, if yours has thread you just need to find out the size and you should be able to find something to suit, not necessarily a Canon product though