Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Stella vs Twinpower
November 10, 2009, 02:08:30 PM
Hi all,

I have been looking around at a reel that is lighter than the DF for spinning with all day. In particular the stella 10k and twinpoer 10k.

How much of a difference is there between these 2 new models in features and performance, as the price difference is quite small .

cheers

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: Stella vs Twinpower
November 11, 2009, 11:14:59 AM
Anyone ? I can see that twin disk drag and bearings differ? Is the gear amterial the same or different as I read that it was from a different metal used in the twinpower.

cheers

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 11, 2009, 01:58:41 PM
Andrew, while I don't know the pure technical details, I do know enough to be able to tell you that the new Twinpowers have the same drag ratings as their equivalent sized Stellas although the Stellas have more ball bearings (not sure what this actually means in the end).

I'd suggest to you that you get a Stella because you pay for a Stella. It is still a more expensive reel than a Twinpower and no doubt, a fair bit of that comes from the cutting edge technology, engineering and materials that go into it.

The big question for you is whether you actually need a Stella for what you are doing. I wouldn't mind trying one of the big Twinpowers and seeing how it goes on GTs but i already have the Stella in that size.
Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 02:02:12 PM by Brandon Khoo
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Robert Palcak

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
November 11, 2009, 02:33:24 PM
I have little doubt that the Twinpower is a fantastic reel, but earlier this year I read a fantastic reveiw by Alan Hawk about the new SW Stella's that is burned into my memory.
I'm sure most people on here have read it, but here's the link for anyone that hasn't and is thinking about buying a new high end reel...
http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/showthread.php?t=647666
<*///><

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
November 11, 2009, 08:50:26 PM
That's a great read ....

Andrew Colefax

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 12, 2009, 10:08:41 PM
new TP SW is essentially a Stella minus 4 bearings (in oscillation system from what i can make out) and a different colour scheme/spool porting. i can't believe how close they are in price to the Stella here in oz. In their place of origin they are significantly cheaper

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
November 12, 2009, 10:40:41 PM
Yep, too close here. For a reel like that I would prefer to buy locally, but really cant justify the extra $ compared to o/s given the way our dollar is going.
Not sure how servicing goes for those reels here. If I get a 12000HG, can it be serviced easily here ? Is it the same as the 10000 AU model -seems to be.

Hon-Su Chin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
November 13, 2009, 11:11:05 PM
Most reputable tackle stores that service reels can service a Stella, you dont have to send it back to Shimano for service. Warranty is the issue, not the service. Believe or not, they are not as complicated as you think. I service my Saltigas and Stellas myself.

Alex Jordan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
November 18, 2009, 07:44:27 PM
I use the new TP's for both tropical work (12000HG) and a 4000XG for bassing over here in the UK - can't fault em' biggest so far is a 49KG doggie on a swimbait in June! reel worked fine without a fault - personally buying JDM reels I will plump for the TP SW's for next year (couple of tropical trips planned)

Damian Fantozzi

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 05, 2011, 10:41:49 AM
I nearly bought the Twinpower SW,  luckily read this and have now gone with Stella.

Im sure the twinpower is fantastic, but with the current prices there is no reason for me to buy one. I got a Stella SW5k brand new for AU$650 delivered from the US&A. Baiscally the key features of the stella that sold me were the hybrid anti reverse, the cold forged/brass coated main gear, the awesome waterproofing and the drag. the twinpower has none of the first one, half the second item , less thorough waterproofing but does have the dame drag. 

Alan Hawks Views:

There is a world of difference between TPSW and STLSW

1) The gearing of the STL is a cold forged drive gear with bronze surface treatment and a hardened stainless steel pinion. TP has the same drive gear but without the surface treatment, and a brass pinion.

2) Stella's gearing and internal parts and rotor are fitted to the main body that has the reel's stem as an integral part (12383). then the side cover is is screwed on. On TP, the parts and rotor are attached to a gear box (13327) that is separate from the part that carries the reel's stem (13313), before they are screwed together. Needless to say that the Stella's design is way stronger and more reliable.

3) The missing bearing in the nut of the TP is responsible for the floating shaft, which is a feature reducing friction between the rotor and the shaft. It means nothing when you are winding the handle freely, but when you reel under load the difference is obvious in more torque and smoother action in case of the STL.

4) The line roller of the STL has a unique anti-scratch black coating that the TP lacks.

5) The anti-reverse clutch of the TP is the old style used in 1998 Stella F. The one in the STL is far superior.

6) In STL, the screw in cap (12355) provides better protection against water and an added lock to keep the pinion assembly in place if a massive pull was delivered to the rotor. In TP the whole assembly is held only by three screws.