Ewan Macleod

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Online marine weather forecasts
November 24, 2010, 03:00:11 PM
Hi all,

Mods please delete if there is already a similar thread (I couldn't find anything searching various terms)

I'm wondering what people use particularly searching for moon, tide, water temp, wave conditions in the South Pacific.

Cheers

Ewan

Aaron Concord

Re: Online marine weather forecasts
November 24, 2010, 09:18:19 PM
Ewan,

There is a bunch of links on the Fish Head site related to this, though it is only pertinent to the Australian coastline with a bias towards the East coast.

What locales are you looking for data on?

Most of the easier non-pay-per-view sites for Oz are on the Fish Head site.

seasurface.com and there was another I think called geoeye that did larger areas on sea surface and phytoplankton readings, though the costs start at around $180 AUD for a yearly subscription and go up depending on the amount of services you dip into.

I have used some of a mates print-outs off the seasurface.com site when marlin and general pelagic fishing and it has been good.
There is certainly several levels of info better again depending on your wallet.

It may seem dear, though the few times I have had a crack at using it for blue marlin off Brisbane, it has worked out in finding fish every time!

I am telling my other half to consider this for my Xmas present, it helps that much.

Cheaper than burning fuel to a spot washed in green pea soup!

Cheers

Aaron.

Bernie Keys

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 25, 2010, 10:49:48 AM
For Australia, here is williweather for Bribie Island in Queensland Australia. The site has a search function and allows you to put in your a location.

There are lots of these sites about. Best thing about this site is forecast, wind & tide as well as predictions all on the one site  :)
Fishing is not life & death...its much more important than that!

Ewan Macleod

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
November 25, 2010, 05:28:40 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.

Aaron, I'm particularly interested in Fiji and surrounds. I've been looking at the Fijian meterological service: http://www.met.gov.fj/

But its a bit limited in terms of water temp and wind predictions. I knew there was a few pay for sites out there any of them worth while for South Pacific? Getting tired of a million tourism and resort based weather links which have very little info and plenty of advertising...

I'll check out the Fish Head links for Australia waters. For Australia I use the BOM, Sea Surface Temps as well as Sea Breeze: http://www.seabreeze.com.au/graphs/nsw3.asp always been pretty handy.

Cheers

Aaron Concord

November 25, 2010, 07:45:32 PM
Ewan,

Unless Bouyweather or someeone like that has sea bouys located off Fiji then wind and seasurface info would come down to either a pay site lie geoeye.com or a Fiji national service like the one you mention.

Anyone else out in gtpopping land know any better sites for Ewan??Surely someone has dug around on the net for info on Fiji????

Aaron.

George Trinkler

December 01, 2010, 07:18:22 AM
Ewan

We us the bouyweather site in Fiji as it's better than the standard daily strong wind warning local forcast, i think it's around $80 a year and has a variety of sea surface options.

George

Ewan Macleod

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
December 01, 2010, 11:38:41 PM
Thanks George, that looks the goods.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 16, 2010, 05:30:44 PM
Ewan, 

I have found the surfies' site WindGuru to be very useful for Indonesia, and I see it covers 20 individual spots in Fiji.

This is a very comprehensive site with wind speeds, direction, swell size, rain etc for 7 day rolling periods and is updated four times daily.

See:
http://www.windguru.cz/int/index.php?sc=62407

Darren Cook

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
December 17, 2010, 08:01:30 AM
Ewan, 

I have found the surfies' site WindGuru to be very useful for Indonesia, and I see it covers 20 individual spots in Fiji.

This is a very comprehensive site with wind speeds, direction, swell size, rain etc for 7 day rolling periods and is updated four times daily.

See:
http://www.windguru.cz/int/index.php?sc=62407

Nice one Mark.