November 28, 2010, 05:34:25 AM
Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 11:01:08 PM by Adrian Braun

Hon-Su Chin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Question for stella SW 18k and 20k owners
November 28, 2010, 10:59:03 AM
The large SW stellas dont have auto bail trips, so you'll have to close the bail arm manually. This is to minimse moving parts and also prevents the bail arm accidentally tripping over on casting.

Stephen Polzin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
November 28, 2010, 08:40:56 PM
check the screw holding the bail arm onto the rotor (bail roller end).  On my 10000FA if this screw is too tight the bail becomes stiff as you describe.  Not sure if it's the same on the SW but might be worth checking.
Cairns Bommie Basher

Hon-Su Chin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
November 28, 2010, 09:18:31 PM
Thats correct, if you tightened the screw to the bail arm too tight, it'll be tight to open the bail arm.

If this is not the case, but if you are thinking winding the handle to auto trip the bail over, then yes it is. Its called a brake rotor, when the bail is opened, theres a lever that pops out and into a rubber ring sitting under the rotor.

Adrian Braun

November 28, 2010, 10:14:09 PM
Thank you very much for the answers. but this is not it. i am not talking about auto bail return. the screw is fine and the bail is very smooth and light.

the thing i am asking about is the action at the end of bail opening. in all spinning reels i used when the bail is about 95% open, it swings open by itself for the remaining 5% and becomes fully opened. but this final swing does not happen in my 20k sw. can you please check your 20k sw or 18k sw and see if it does this too or different? thanks

Patrick Naslund

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 28, 2010, 10:25:18 PM
Have to push it all the way when opening ( got my sw20000 about a week ago.. and didn't even think about it until I read your post.. and had to try  )

Eric Tai

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 29, 2010, 12:23:41 AM
Adrian my sw20k & sw10k bail arms appear to open the last 5 degrees by themselves. Maybe yours will too after some use, otherwise get shimano to have a look. Good luck dude!

Adrian Braun

November 29, 2010, 04:26:38 AM
Have to push it all the way when opening ( got my sw20000 about a week ago.. and didn't even think about it until I read your post.. and had to try  )

If yours doesn't swing open by itself that final bit too it means that it's normal for new reels. maybe because the brake ring is still new. thanks for your input :)

Adrian Braun

November 29, 2010, 04:28:38 AM
Adrian my sw20k & sw10k bail arms appear to open the last 5 degrees by themselves. Maybe yours will too after some use, otherwise get shimano to have a look. Good luck dude!

Yours are the 2008 sw model, right? the old blue stella is named sw in jdm too.

have your reels been serviced before? thank you very much

Eric Tai

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 29, 2010, 09:45:25 AM
Yes 2008sw models. Have had the 20k serviced before.

Hon-Su Chin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
November 29, 2010, 10:38:06 AM

If yours doesn't swing open by itself that final bit too it means that it's normal for new reels. maybe because the brake ring is still new. thanks for your input :)

Then someone must have opened the bail arm up and not put everything back together in the right position. I suggest take it back to your servicer and have it checked out.
It should have a positive click once its fully opened.