Paul Vogl

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: New Destination Yemen GT
December 01, 2010, 08:37:14 AM

Sensational fish Vincenzo! That last one is massive, I can't imagine how hard it would be controlling a fish of that size under heavy drag from the boat in your photos. Well Done!

Alex Jordan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 01, 2010, 09:56:06 AM
holy sh*t thats some big GT's!

I know Yemen is on the blacklist fo travel destinations?

Brodie Cumins

December 01, 2010, 10:48:14 AM
Awesome fishing!!! Would definately be an "interesting" part of the world to go for a fish.

Vincenzo Caccico

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 01, 2010, 11:37:18 AM
Yes Yemen is not one of the most sure place of the earth, but in Socotra is easy naw to go for the european and specially for italian, and also Cheep Gt Trip.  8)

Vincenzo

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 01, 2010, 02:17:55 PM
Nice, very nice indeed.  Some great fish there and that looks like a fantastic GT destination.

For those concerned about security, Socotra has been fairly well visited and studied by foreign naturalists for some time know. It is a real bio-diversity hot spot and I also remember reading that it is on the windsurfing circuit.

Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 01, 2010, 03:08:49 PM
I can only repeat what the others already have Vincenzo, some awesome GT's there, great stuff, fighting them from those boats would be interesting at times too  :o

You mention it is cheap, how much is a charter out of a place like that?

Sam Cheadle

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 01, 2010, 05:51:55 PM
I can only repeat what the others already have Vincenzo, some awesome GT's there, great stuff, fighting them from those boats would be interesting at times too  :o

You mention it is cheap, how much is a charter out of a place like that?

I had a look into it today Scott, and i don't think its cheap from Aus. It looks as though the international flight is around $3000 and then there is the domestics and all the rest of it.

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 01, 2010, 08:28:27 PM
Vencenzo, got to say i am astounded by the average size of fish in your pictures, these fish were taken from 1 or 2 visits??

Thanks for posting pictures of this special place.
Set the ray to GeeT

Vincenzo Caccico

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 01, 2010, 08:36:02 PM
Yes sure it is cheap from Europe, but to go there from Australia, you need the flight to Dubai and Dubai Saana'a and Sanaa'a to Socotra with the domestic flight.

It is the same trip that lot's of European people make to come in Australia or Fiji or New Caledonia.

From europe the cost is about 2000 euro all inclusive + Visa.

Vincenzo

Dale Ianna

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 01, 2010, 10:48:43 PM
Mate awesome to see this kind of fishing potential from another spot of the world. Awesome fish, fish that only some of us could dream of.
Keep up the hard work.

Vincenzo Caccico

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 02, 2010, 12:04:04 AM
Some photo

This fish attack a craft bait mega mauth 190 g with 2 decoy 10/0, sometime monster Gt open or close olso this.

160 cm  :D

This is the medium size of GT in Socotra

We are fishing on a great bank near some big rock and some big wreck, normally i have fished in Maldives and over normal place with 80 puond line but here No

You cast, and when the Gt attack your popper, you must pull with drag completly closed, as fast as possible the fish far from wreck. otherwise break the line or leader.

Extreme GT Fishing ;)

Vincenzo

Chris Leong

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 02, 2010, 01:20:31 AM
Really monster class. Likewise,  to be able to pull those fishes on heavy locked drags on a small boat is really some feat.

Sizes look comparable to New Cal?

Is the fishing season for GTs long or just a short period. Hows the weather like there?

Good idea to start a new GT operation there for charter!

Vincenzo Caccico

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 02, 2010, 02:33:52 AM
Thanx Chris, in my personal opinion in place like Oman Yemen Djibouti, there are the biggest GT in the world, i don't know why, it is strange maybe this fish could swim undisturbed and as you can see in some photo they are fat, probably they eat a lot.

Some local fisherman tell me that in april the find one Gt over 80 kg unfortunatly dead in the net, so i thrust them and the size is incredible.

Vincenzo

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 02, 2010, 10:32:03 AM
Magnificent fish.

Another area you desrve some real credit for is popping out of those boats.
I have done a fair amount of time popping in Fijian longboats similar to those pictured and they certainly arent easy to stay balanced in, especially when you hook a fish..!!!...... Super effort on thiose big fish.

Pete

Vincenzo Caccico

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 02, 2010, 11:06:01 AM
This boats(8 mt fiber glass) are not new one, not same level of Golden eagle or Black marlin(rodrigues island) ;D but for Gt fishing in that condition are good, and you can cast quickly everywhere if you see activity,  you can go closer to the bank and the shallow water.

On the left you can see the top of one little bank and a little boat like that so closer.

Vincenzo