Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
GT World Cup Concept
December 02, 2010, 04:19:09 PM
Based on this idea - http://www.bluemarlinworldcup.com/

Basically there is a calendar day designated world wide to fish, the photos and results are communicated to a central host (could be a thread on this website) and collated, the winner being the biggest fish or however the best way to judge it was deemed.

Doesn't seem to be too difficult a concept, supply a unique code or logo to be displayed in any photos.  Length and girth measurments taken and recorded with a photo and submitted within the designated 24/48/72 hr period.

Based on an honesty system it could be a bit of fun.  What are peoples thoughts? 

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: GT World Cup Concept
December 02, 2010, 04:30:15 PM
Like it Travis and it could indeed be fun. 

Would be good if some of the forum sponsors could step forward with some prizes.

Rather than purely a "biggest fish wins and forget the rest" concept, it might be nice to figure out a few other categories to make it more interesting for those where a 25 kg fish would be very notable.

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
December 02, 2010, 04:40:54 PM
Maybe a cumulative length section and couple of mystery weights to cater for spots with lower average fish size? 

Kasey Leong

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 02, 2010, 05:07:01 PM
Sounds a bit like the Gt Tournament  :)
Watashi wa kawaii scon class hetadesu bakadesu JooNya Poop Poop

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
December 02, 2010, 05:17:00 PM
True Kasey -  not sure what Brandon thinks but could do it coincident with GT tournament, one or two of the days World Wide days, so anyone anywhere could fish?  Really just thinking out loud, that blue marlin tournament always gets me thinking.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 02, 2010, 05:19:03 PM
What's the GT tournament?

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 02, 2010, 06:00:09 PM
OK, idle arse here has now searched for the GT tournament :).

http://www.gtpopping.com/forum/index.php?topic=2484.msg22695#msg22695

Very different I would say.... the GT tournament is a trip organised by Nomad.  I don't know what Travis had in mind, but my thoughts on the World Cup idea were for something non-commercial?

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 06, 2010, 08:17:07 AM
I think Pirtech did a comp like this a while ago. It went something like this, Entry was online, a date was set, photo's of fish were sent in after the days fishing including a pic of the fish being weighed or measured, then there were mystery weights/lengths for each species and prizes to suit.
I thought the best thing is the mystery size, it makes it more achievable for the average punter. eg if it was say biggest fish, then the chances of catching a 50kg plus fish in Aus are a lot lower than say New Cal and would probably reduce entries.
Great idea I recon.

Dan Harvey

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 06, 2010, 10:10:24 AM
I remember the pirtek challenge well,was a good set up,$20 ,each angler got send a ID number night before comp and then write it on the pre supplied bragmat,when fish caught it was digitally photographed on bragmat with ID no., date/time,and fish measurement,then pic sent in to website by a set time.Here in S.A. it was 3 species.was held in April (i won 1st place,and crew 2nd/3rd  ;D ;D ;D)
Its on again next year too.
Something like this could be the go,