Chris Tan

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: New Caledonia with LPB November 2010
December 03, 2010, 12:31:56 AM

That's a gamma 160. After getting a couple of gts, I gave it to Jac to try and she had 2 hits on her first cast and when she brought the lure in, we realised the wiring gave way.

Whoa! That GT head!  Great Whites indeed. 

Some great photos, thanks a lot for sharing.

What's the stickbait where the wiring failed Chris?

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 03, 2010, 12:57:46 AM
Nice work Chris, looks like you guys still managed some good fish in trying conditions. Very nice pics, what camera/lens are you using?

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 03, 2010, 02:15:29 AM

That's a gamma 160. After getting a couple of gts, I gave it to Jac to try and she had 2 hits on her first cast and when she brought the lure in, we realised the wiring gave way.

I thought it looked like a Gamma but then though the wiring would not fail on that lure!

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 03, 2010, 02:30:38 AM

Whoa! That GT head!  Great Whites indeed. 

Some great photos, thanks a lot for sharing.

What's the stickbait where the wiring failed Chris?

Chris ,

Send it back to Kenji , he will surely replace it with a new one n kept yours for " investigation " .   :-\

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 03, 2010, 06:23:45 AM
Mark, the wiring can fail on any lure notwithstanding Carpenter lures have some of the strongest wiring in the industry. I've previously seen the wire compromised on every major brand of Japanese lure except Carpenter.   :(

I thought it looked like a Gamma but then though the wiring would not fail on that lure!
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
December 03, 2010, 08:49:16 AM
Great Report Chris,thats a great trip,shame about the weather though.... :)

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
December 03, 2010, 10:03:15 AM
Great work Chris.

LPB strikes again....

Love the polrized filter shot of "Kendec" Island ;) I have spent many a camping night on this island  8)

Chris Tan

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
December 03, 2010, 10:03:51 AM
Thanks guys!

Jay, I was using the D90 and the kit lens (18-105) with the polariser filter.

Kasey Leong

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 03, 2010, 11:33:51 AM
Oh, poor 55kg GT - and a black one too!

What's that under the boat at night Chris?
Watashi wa kawaii scon class hetadesu bakadesu JooNya Poop Poop

Sam Conacher

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
December 03, 2010, 11:38:16 AM
awesome work Chris.

it's a shame about just the head you got back on that GT,  no doubt about it had you of gotten the whole GT with-out the bloody shark's it would of been one great specimen of a catch i am 100% sure of it and no doubt about it.

in all and complete honesty i am very, very much so itching to get back there to NC to do another trip, unfortunately i am still saving up and the moment i have saved up enough i will be there in a heart beat - i guarantee you on that.

just wondering if it is ok me asking,

you said or mentioned the Surface Bull Popper which that monster went for - which size surface bull popper? , as from what i know there are 2 sizes
Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 11:43:03 AM by Sam Conacher

Winston Yow

December 03, 2010, 11:45:36 AM
awesome work Chris.

it's a shame about just the head you got back on that GT,  no doubt about it had you of gotten the whole GT with-out the bloody shark's it would of been one great specimen of a catch i am 100% sure of it and no doubt about it.

in all and complete honesty i am very, very much so itching to get back there to NC to do another trip, unfortunately i am still saving up and the moment i have saved up enough i will be there in a heart beat - i guarantee you on that.

just wondering if it is ok me asking,

you said or mentioned the Surface Bull Popper which that monster went for - which size surface bull popper? , as from what i know there are 2 sizes

Sam,

the 100g one

Chris Tan

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
December 03, 2010, 11:52:35 AM
Sam, Winston Yow would know best as he was the one who hooked up the big gt.

Kasey, that night I was mucking around with a Shimano squid jig and managed to snag an octopus. But when it landed on the deck, it made a swift escape under the boat and stayed there. Rudy and Sebestien tried everything to get the fella out but it wasn't budging. So we had no choice but to bust off. Would have made some nice sashimi and bait!

Maverick K.

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
December 03, 2010, 01:23:41 PM
Great catch report bro! Looks like everyone had a great time  ;) hahaha I was wondering the same thing too about tat butt shot with everyone looking under the boat hmmmmmmm  ???

Henry Sung

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 03, 2010, 02:37:59 PM
Nice report with impressive catches.

Can't imagine if the shark eats the whole black GT in one bite and get caught in the line. I reckon it will be one hell of a fight.

;)

Kasey Leong

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 03, 2010, 03:31:06 PM
Sam, Winston Yow would know best as he was the one who hooked up the big gt.

Kasey, that night I was mucking around with a Shimano squid jig and managed to snag an octopus. But when it landed on the deck, it made a swift escape under the boat and stayed there. Rudy and Sebestien tried everything to get the fella out but it wasn't budging. So we had no choice but to bust off. Would have made some nice sashimi and bait!

;D Lazy fellas - should have booted them in with a snorkel to get it!

Speaking of which, maybe this year I just might reconsider going swimming... I don't imagine myself being much bigger than a 55kg GT. Nobody had better snag 230g bigfoots in the reef  :-X
Watashi wa kawaii scon class hetadesu bakadesu JooNya Poop Poop