tim watson

Hamilton Island in the whitsunday's advice
March 25, 2011, 07:03:14 AM
Hi Guys

I'm having a holiday on this amazing place in late September this year and was trying to work out how to approach the fishing here.
Has anyone any experience on this island - I plan to do lures and livebaiting from the harbour/jetty/shore and was wondering if anyone had any experience or tips for me.

I'm new to GT fishing but consider myself a reasonable angler with the right gear for the job or at least I think I do for average GT's....snowbee 60 -165gramm deep blue popping rod with penn 8500 ss reel loaded with 60lb braid for popping and a shimano 30-50lb (travel) boat rod with a shimano TLD 20 loaded with 60lb braid for live baiting???? Please tell me if you think I'm out gunned or wrong.

Really appreciate any advice and tips on the island.

Cheers

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I havent fished Hamilton but I have fished other islands (landbased) in the whitsundays and caught a large variety of fish on poppers and plastics.

Find yourself a headland with some current wrapping around it and you can be sure there will be queenies,mackeral and GT's around.

When we stayed overnight at Hamilton (on our way to Elusive with Nomad) there was a very nice looking headland just out from the Whitsunday apartments.It certainly looked like it would produce fish when the tide had some movement.

Pete

Angus Hulme

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Hi Tim,

I'm by no means a guru, but through bitter experience, I can tell that with the popping outfit you have, I suspect you are likely to experience some serious wipeouts from bigger GTs. My brothers and I started with outfits/line classes similar to the 50-60 lbs gear you mentioned, on our early trips to the Whitsunday area, and over a number of demoralising years, got comprehensively dusted by GT's more times than we care to remember. Given their tendency to dive straight down, they are a very difficult land-based opponent, and just through line angles, will often brick you even without taking any line. We've found that even a 15-odd kg GT is tough to land if fishing land-based with that sort of tackle. And the area you talk of has plenty of fish twice that size. For that reason, we have upped our tackle to GT Special rods and Stellas filled with 80 lbs (absolute min) or preferably 130 lb tuffline. We adopt a rather savage fighting method, and the fights are over quite quickly, whether the battle is won or lost.  ;)

But as Pete mentioned, there are plenty of other critters you can expect to have some fun with if you target the rocky corners, close bommies as well as current lines, fish like trout, spaniards, longtails, queenies, etc will all be possible at various stages if you persist with poppers and stickbaits of various sizes. For those species, the tackle you have will be adequate, I reckon. 

I, too, have not specifically fished Hamilton, our efforts are based 10-20 miles south of that area, but you might want to send a pm to Cy & Kerrin Taylor, who seem to have their fingers on the pulse of the northern Whitsundays.

Cheers
Angus

Daniel Kaggelis

In my experience you need to concentrate efforts around the first of the run in tide for around there.

jake mitchell

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
hi tim,

hamo is a great spot but probably not the best for landbased gt's. im pretty sure there are dinghy's for hire on the island, this would be your best choice unless you want to fork out for a charter, if you do get a boat just find some good current and structure and keep moving until you find some fish. the tackle you mention is too light for most of the structure you'll find there. the best place to find headlands with current on hamo would be in fitzallen passage between whitsunday island and the northern side of hamo, the passage between dent island and the westerern side of hamo should hold fish too. there is some good country around the eastern side but i don't know whether it is accesible on foot. another spot worth a look mostly after dark is the pontoon at the airport it can hold a lot of bait at times.

jake

Sha Zhang

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Hi There, i went to hamo last year,although i didn't target at Gt's as a matter of fact i am still a gt virgin (one day it will happen). I mainly just fished the jetty by the air port after dark and caught all manners of reeffish, even had a 100kg+ group have ago at my live bait. During the afternoon when the charters come back, they clean their daily catch and feed the scrapes to the local GT's which is a small school of fish around the 20-30kg mark.

Cheers,
Sha

tim watson

Hi guys a very big thankyou to you all!!!!!!!

I will be hiring the dinghys and im not sure what i can do about my gear - just gonna see how i go i guess and pray if i do hook a reasonable size fish. Im prepared to lose fish i just dont like losing great lures.

Im gonna be happy with spanish macks and the rest and a small gt would be good. I will fish for literally anything that will chomp my lure or live bait so fingers crossed.

Thanks again, i will post how i got on and i certainly have something to go at.

re the gear needed for 20kg Gt's, anyone have any suggestions about the right rods and what they would cost roughly?

cheers

Tim Richards

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Tim

I didn't fish when i was there but managed to get into to the Staff bar up the top of the hill behind the main row of shops, worth it if you can get in. ;D ;D

Cheers

Tim

craig breadsell

Hi tim,

I lived there for close to 10 years and fished a bit during my time. Worked on the local charter boats every now and then as well. I did walk and fish around the island with light spin gear in that time. I didn't specifically chase big GT's off the shore but I did get smaller ones, some nice trout as well on a regular basis.

Seek and yeh shall find as they say, if you can the southern end of dent has an awesome bommie that holds some GT's and some corker spanish at times (30kg +) The marina holds a few Barra and Tarpon at night, and as previously mentioned Fido prowls around (the groper we fed every day after charters). Fitzallen pass is also an awesome place, I have had a few big wipeouts there over the years.

Hope this gives you a start